East River NY to Long Island Sound

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lshulan

Vessel Name
Voyager
Vessel Make
Mainship 390
We would like to cruise the Long Island Sound coming up from NJ to the East River but have read horror stories about the East River, Hells Gate, etc . Does anyone have any firsthand knowledge of doing a cruise that way? An acquaintance said it was no big deal and they had done it in their sailboat years ago. If you have some real info you’ve gained yourself, please let me know. What to watch out for, what’s good and what to avoid.

I have done it 6-8 times in sailboats and slow power boats. It has never been an issue but I always plan on arriving Hell Gate at or close to slack. Also plan to ride the current to and from Hell Gate. Not so much of an issue with a faster boat.

I would recommend an Eldridge tide and current book. It has lots of good information esp. if you plan to cruise Long Island Sound and further north.

Rob

Ditto above.

It's no different from any other place with measurable current. Time it for slack at Hell Gate, preferably running with the flood to Hell Gate, slack going through, then riding the ebb as you run into LI Sound.

You will be hassled more by the wakes of commuter boats on the East River than the current at Hells Gate where the commuter traffic is nil.

I don't bother timing my transit. Any boat that can do 6+ kts will be fine.

David

I couldn't remember how strong the current is, so just took a look. It's 4kts on the flood, and 5kts ebb. And that's pretty much the whole length of the East River, so a very slow run if you are going against it in anything other than a fast boat.

I was helping deliver an 7-8 knot boat at max ebb and people in Manhattan were walking faster than us. Through Hell Gate, the captain was steering lock to lock to keep course. The water looked like it was boiling. I’m sure it’s more benign at other times but, don’t think it something to be ignored entirely. When I went through a year later, I timed it and it was utterly uneventful.

Another reason to time it is, it might be a little less stressful in the event there is ship and tug traffic at the same time and who might need a bit more room to maneuver. A tug and barge going sideways in a channel sure gets one’s attention.

I couldn't remember how strong the current is, so just took a look. It's 4kts on the flood, and 5kts ebb. And that's pretty much the whole length of the East River, so a very slow run if you are going against it in anything other than a fast boat.

I agree with you 100% - we have been thru there are least 50 times over the years and have seen a few slow boats in distress over the years. One required an emergency tow around the Brother islands, lucky someone was available at the time. You do want to plan this trip out ahead of time.

I've done it three times in the past year - south twice, north once. We're usually cruise around 20 kts, so timing isn't that important to me, but I timed it anyway for the fun of it. And there were plenty of spots I was going at hull speed for safety or courtesy, so having the current with me was useful.

I'll second DavidM's note - it really is the commuter ferry and other commercial traffic that is the bigger concern. And that isn't really a concern so much as just needing to maintain awareness.

Wow, great responses, thank you all. I’ll need to show this to the Admiral and see what she thinks

I have done that trip many, many times. I can tell you from personal experience that you will be far happier going with the current than against it. My 8kt boat (GB) achieved 13kts going through Hell Gate with the current. You will save fuel and thoroughly enjoy the trip. Don’t even think about going against the current. Going up river wait at Sandy Hook, going down river wait at City Island until the timing is right. Traveling through NY Harbor and through the East River is one of the greatest boating experiences. Don’t ruin it with stress. My two cents.

Been through dozens of time.

Go with the current with one caveat that I used when I was a sailor: if the boat cannot exceed (by a safety margin) the speed of the current you are going with, you will have minimal control. Required water flow over the rudder (with indirect prop flow) and all that

I have not tested it yet with "The Beast", but I would think there might be a similar effect on a slow displacement power boat even with lots of flow from prop over rudders.

Perhaps someone could confirm or dispel?

And it is still an epic sight for me every time I do it (I have done it at night as well, would not recommend it, but woah...beauuuuuuutiful).

Been through dozens of time.

Go with the current with one caveat that I used when I was a sailor: if the boat cannot exceed (by a safety margin) the speed of the current you are going with, you will have minimal control. Required water flow over the rudder (with indirect prop flow) and all that

I have not tested it yet with "The Beast", but I would think there might be a similar effect on a slow displacement power boat even with lots of flow from prop over rudders.

Perhaps someone could confirm or dispel?

And it is still an epic sight for me every time I do it (I have done it at night as well, would not recommend it, but woah...beauuuuuuutiful).

The boat speed vs outrunning current thing is a myth. If the boat does 7 kts through the water, it's still doing 7 kts (and will steer accordingly) even in a 7 kt following current (you're still moving forward through the moving water). You'll just be doing 14 kts over ground (and have to remember that you'll be getting pushed when you go to turn, so timing when to start a turn will be different).

The time where it becomes a problem is when someone looks at their speed over ground, goes "whoa, too fast!" and slows the boat down.

Having run Woods Hole many times and, as of recently, the Cape Cod canal, I can't suggest strongly enough to get an "Eldridge Tide and Pilot" book.

For example, Hell's Gate...today (08/31/2022)

Northeast (Flood) Starts @ 7:24am & 7:48pm

Southeast (ebb) Starts @ 12:54am & 1:18pm

Based on the direction you're going, you'll know exactly when to enter (and when NOT to enter).

Again, great info. While I have 3 chartplotters, I want to study ahead of time the East river and Long Island sound. Anybody know chart number(s) that cover those?

You will be hassled more by the wakes of commuter boats on the East River than the current at Hells Gate where the commuter traffic is nil.

I don't bother timing my transit. Any boat that can do 6+ kts will be fine.

David

Exactly my experience. Don’t bother trying to time it. Just relax and enjoy the sights.

I have been traveling the east river all summer every weekend. I have only caught the tide the right way only once. I normally travel at 9.5 kn for fuel efficiency, we hit 15 k that day. Whapping 6.5 kn current! I have made the run at night also. The city looks like Christmas at night.
As far as control. no problems since you may not move much but you moving through the water at you normal speed. I is a little unnerving when you see all of the swirling water. No worries thought plenty of water, just watch your charts. The biggest thing to navigate is the ferry traffic. They seem to zoom all over the place with almost no regard for traffic patterns. Look on you charts the ferry routs are marked on the cart witch helps you understand the mayhem.

Greg

Have done it more times than I can count.

Important things
Monitor 16,13 and 9. Say quiet but those channels will tell you what’s going on.

Stay on the Brooklyn side when going up right from the beginning. Before the Verrazano bridge isn’t too soon if you don’t need to wait for currents. We usually stage from Atlantic Highlands to get the hellgate timing right but still cut right across to get to that side. Going down hug Manhattan. Stay out of the middle either way.

Closely watch the closer shoreline. Make sure you can divert those leaving. Act like you don’t have right of way over anyone.

Have someone looking behind you and at the shorelines all the time. If possible run radar on a separate screen. A lot of traffic won’t be on AIS. I do that even in clear daylight.

Having AIS is a huge blessing. Change range periodically. Especially helpful in the lower bay and to see what’s entering from LI Sound.

Set all your screens with your boat in the center. Just as important to know what’s behind you as what’s in front.

We generally will vary SOG rather than course to avoid close approaches. Find that technique decreases risk of avoiding one problem to just get into another. Like to leave just enough room away from the shore that if a course change is required we have room to do it.

It’s great fun and I love that transit. I get to see where I grew up. Can even see the windows of that apartment so it has special meaning to me. Don’t like the ferries. Especially the little fast ones but it’s the barges you really want to stay away from. Still following a barge at a safe distance sometimes is helpful. I usually don’t try to overtake. Patience is virtue. It isn’t as stressful as people make out. A modicum of situational aware is all that’s required.

Last edited:
I agree the AIS is a godsend. You can see the overtaking vessels and where they will cross your path. We also just installed a Garmin rear facing camera to watch for non AIS traffic from behind.

Well I did it once the wrong way…

At Roosevelt Island if you take the east side, you may encounter a 6 knot current. If you top out at 7 like me, planning is required.

The ideal situation is to hit Throg’s Neck Bridge at high slack, so you have a favorable tide both in the East River and LIS.

I found using the Current icons in Aquamap Master easier to use than Eldridge’s tables.

Yes to AIS, if you run afoul of the commercial barge traffic, they can hail you easier. And it’s hard for folks to sneak up behind you.

Going east of Governor’s Island avoids the Staten Island ferries.

Feel free to pm me if you want.

If you are purchasing an AIS unit please purchase a unit that transmits. If you have your radio on 9/16/13 any concerned commercial traffic will contact you if they deem it necessary. They need to see you which is much more important than you you seeing them.

Only transited once, delivering a catamaran down the coast. Went behind Long Island to keep out of the weather. Tides aside, two things I remember. Pusher tugs can't see you and if they could, can't do much about it. Ferries don't want to see you. Remember to wave to the people walking by. :)

Hit the battery 2 hours before slack tide

If your boat goes more than 10mph, bo anytime you want, will just take longer bucking the tide.

Just plan to get there at slack high tide. Ride the current into Hell Gate, then ride it out to LI Sound. If there's any commercial traffic, follow them.

If your boat is relatively fast -- say 10 knots or more -- you may find it easier going through Hell Gate against the tide. It's awfully swirly and while there's plenty of deep water, it can get smaller fast if there's traffic. If northbound, you might plan to enjoy a northbound current up the East River with slack water as you approached Hell Gate.

Not mentioned above is traffic -- particularly around the Battery. DO NOT be there during morning or afternoon rush hour weekdays. Keep channel 13 on your best radio and don't hesitate for a second to call up a commercial boat if you have any doubt what he's doing. They are almost always happy to talk to you because communication reduces their uncertainty too.

Jim

Jim

Hells Gate

We would like to cruise the Long Island Sound coming up from NJ to the East River but have read horror stories about the East River, Hells Gate, etc . Does anyone have any firsthand knowledge of doing a cruise that way? An acquaintance said it was no big deal and they had done it in their sailboat years ago. If you have some real info you’ve gained yourself, please let me know. What to watch out for, what’s good and what to avoid.

We have done it both ways many times in both a small sailboat and a trawler. Every time we timed it so we were going with the current and the only problem we ever had is with a huge tug towing a barge that didn't like sailboats!!

The time where it becomes a problem is when someone looks at their speed over ground, goes "whoa, too fast!" and slows the boat down.

Having done the trip a dozen times or more, this is the only issue we've ever had. A 30+' sailboat in front of us all of a sudden panicked and pull back on the throttle coming almost to a dead stop. We're behind them doing 10+ kts with the current and a barge coming against the current on the other side so no where to go. I blasted the sailboat with my whistle and on the radio said, "Keep your speed up or you'll end up sideways!". They hit the throttle and all was well...

Navionics & AquaMaps examples of timing Slack Tide

See pics/attachments.

These free or nearly free online APPS will help you time a placid passage through Hell's Gate or any other tricky spot.
Navionics sample
Aquamaps sample

Attachments

• NavionicsSample.jpg
    NavionicsSample.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 11
  • AquaMapSample.jpg
    AquaMapSample.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 11
I delivered my boat from VT to CT going through Hell's Gate for the first time. I planned to leave Liberty Landing to arrive at Hell's Gate right about at high tide there. That way you ride the current up the East river into HG and ride the current out into LIS. It was perfectly calm, althought there was some commercial traffic so you have to be comfortable being relatively close to tugs and barges. Other than that, no issues, just time it right. My wife still like to tell the story where I asked her to take the helm when I went to the head not knowing where we were. When I came back I told her that she just steered us through Hell's Gate. I wouldn't have done that if I had any fear of the conditions. LMK when you are in the Sound and you need any recommendations.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom