Vessel Model: Albin 40
scary smart is correct....

psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 08:46 PM   #143
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
As with most things related to social interactions, it is best to try not to be excessively annoying nor easily annoyed. My hunch is that most here basically try to follow those tenants in most any boating endeavors.

As a drone operator, I try to not be annoying at all.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 09:24 PM   #144
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
My comfort zone is mine.

I have been well trained that different cultures may invade my personal space due to cultural differences....and how to calmly deal with the situation.

A drone has no culture......therefore, if I feel a drone is looking at me like the normal public is...no big deal....

If the drone is invading my personal space or "spying/peeping".....you definitely dont want to be the drone, and probably not the operator.

Normally I dont like confrontation past aggressive debate...but get me on a step and I have training that you really wish I hadnt.

And thats not a macho approach....more like a black ops approach....
Those skills might come in very handy in Ft. Pierce! I also heard a rumor that there will be a drone there.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 09:41 PM   #145
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 400 Mainship
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
As with most things related to social interactions, it is best to try not to be excessively annoying nor easily annoyed. My hunch is that most here basically try to follow those tenants in most any boating endeavors.

As a drone operator, I try to not be annoying at all.
dhays,
Agreed, drone operators need to be aware of others feelings. But there's a TON of things worse than a drone: barking dogs, weed hackers and lawnmowers, spam calls, loud trucks and cars, ambulances and fire trucks, loud music and even soft music if not your tunes, and even planes, airliners and helicopters, etc., etc.

For now, a drone can fly over your house or boat, even as low as 10 feet, legally and you can't do much about it. They can fly in any legal airspace. But there's a lot they can't normally fly in, which includes within 5 miles of airports, class B, C, and D airspace, most national parks, stadiums with games going on, power plants and more. Also within 30 mile of wherever the president is.

Now, getting back to the OP original message. I think they are a great way to get some great pictures and feel that operating off a boat is doable, fun and not evasive to others, even in some marinas.

Try one, you'll like it.
Old 01-13-2018, 05:32 AM   #146
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seevee View Post

For now, a drone can fly over your house or boat, even as low as 10 feet, legally..
Actually anything under 500 feet over private property without prior approval is likely a high risk of being illegal, especially if the property owner can prove that you are interrupting his use of the property.
menzies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 08:11 AM   #147
Guru

City: Jupiter, Florida
Vessel Name: Black Eyed Susan
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
The question is really for you. How close can you operate to my boat and assure that your drone won't impact it when one of your motors or a propeller fails? Judging from videos I've seen, it's farther than you or most operators think.
And how close can you operate your boat and assure your boat won't impact others around when your motors, props or steering fail? If you follow your own guideline you shouldn't be allowed to back into a marina slip.
firstbase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 08:48 AM   #148
Guru

Quote:
Regarding the "statistics" listed in the firstbase post above, there is no requirement to report hobby drone accidents/incidents, so the numbers are meaningless. That said, the description of accidents do fully make my point...if you're operating your drone outside the "failure cone" under the device, none of these impacts with people and property would have occurred. That's the intent of the regulations....which you and the majority of drone operators conveniently choose to ignore.
Yep, as meaningless as any other statistic or poll. Better termed a representative sampling from police departments nationwide. Although not comprehensive it seems to show that death, destruction and maiming of children may not be occurring at the alarming rate you seem to claim. They certainly don't prove your point. We going to regulate anything and everything that could possibly cause a problem or injur someone? Um, OK. Pencils are pointy and can injure someone. Regulate them.

I will say that you lost me with "That's the intent of the regulations....which you and the majority of drone operators conveniently choose to ignore." That's just not true.

There are a whole lot of things on my worry list above being injured or spied on by a drone.
Old 01-13-2018, 09:42 AM   #149
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post
Actually anything under 500 feet over private property without prior approval is likely a high risk of being illegal, especially if the property owner can prove that you are interrupting his use of the property.
Yes, I actually think this is very clearly the case, though it appears nobody has tested it in the context of drones. Wikipedia has a good article on airspace rights. In a nut shell:

- The land owner owns below the surface to the center of the earth, and above to the heavens.

- Above 500' in populated areas, and above 365' in rural areas, the public has a right of way, though regulated by the FAA. This is like a sidewalk across your property. You may own it, but there is a public right of passage across it.

- Below those levels, the land owner has full rights and there is no public right of way. This was established by the Supreme Court in 1946 in the context or air travel. It has also been well established that so-called overhangs into that lower air space are also a violation of the land owner's rights. This was established in cities where things are packed close together, and where there can be significant value in building up since you can't build out. So for example, a balcony that hangs out over the property line would be a violation, as is a tree that hangs over the line, and the owner has a right to remove them.

So unless something new has happened that grants a right of way between zero and 365/500', I think this is black and white, very well established case law.

And keep in mind that FAA operating rules below 500' does NOT grant a right of way. It just says how you need to operate there.
Old 01-13-2018, 10:07 AM   #150

City: Great Lakes
Vessel Model: OA 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstbase View Post
And how close can you operate your boat and assure your boat won't impact others around when your motors or props fail? If you follow your own guideline you shouldn't be allowed to back into a marina slip.
The "guideline" regarding operation of hobby drones is not mine, it's federal law. Boats that are operated by an on-board human are not regulated, in large part because the operator is at the controls and can presumably compensate for a malfunction or failure. I believe we all agree that drone operators cannot. I would expect that if drone boats become mainstream, they will have restrictions to account for failure modes. By the way, a competency test for boat operators is a good idea in my view.

Pencils don't fall out of the sky and run into people when they break. I know you and others think it's OK to slam the occasional drone into people or property. The FAA does not. You are regulated accordingly. The debate over whether hobby drones should be regulated took place years ago. The current debate is whether even more stringent regulation is required. Believe me, it's far from over. And the more you antagonize the public with risky operations, the worse it will be for hobby drones.
Rufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 10:34 AM   #151
Guru

Quote:
By the way, a competency test for boat operators is a good idea in my view.
Agreed. As do I. I'm even ok with some flight certification for drones.

Quote:
I know you and others think it's OK to slam the occasional drone into people or property. The FAA does not. You are regulated accordingly. The debate over whether hobby drones should be regulated took place years ago. The current debate is whether even more stringent regulation is required. Believe me, it's far from over. And the more you antagonize the public with risky operations, the worse it will be for hobby drones.
You like to put words in peoples mouths and erroneously attribute comments and ideas to them don't you? That's where your axe to grind shows. I don't think it is "ok to slam the occasional drone into people or property." Rufus, please. I am all for some regulations meant to minimize those incidents but not to the point of destroying the hobby. You seem to want to regulate things to perfection and that is impossible. I believe you would be all in for simply banning drones but even that won't stop people from flying and having an accident on occasion. As for your comment about me antagonizing the public with "risky operations" I don't even own a drone nor have I ever flown one. I just recognize the governments piss poor performance when sticking their nose into and over regulating certain areas of our lives. I can't fly a drone over my own property to take video of the grandkids in the pool without calling Palm Beach International control tower first?
Old 01-13-2018, 10:48 AM   #152
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
I know you and others think it's OK to slam the occasional drone into people or property.

Take a step back Rufus, that comment was rude, uncalled for, and simply untrue.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 10:48 AM   #153
Guru

Quote:
Pencils don't fall out of the sky and run into people when they break.
For the record there were 6,000 injuries caused by pens and pencils last year. Of the 6,000, 100 of them proved to be fatal. Show me 100 deaths caused by drones. If public safety is what you are after then obviously your priorities are upside down.

Here are the historical stats of injuries caused by pens and pencils in schools and offices. Quite a spike in 2015. Probably caused by all the furious and out of control people using one to register their drone.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pens and pencils.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	72051  
Old 01-13-2018, 11:08 AM   #154
Curmudgeon

City: Stoney Creek, MD
Vessel Name: Moon Dance
Vessel Model: 1974 34' Marine Trader Sedan
Quote:
For the record there were 6,000 injuries caused by pens and pencils last year. Of the 6,000, 100 of them proved to be fatal.
John Wick has been busy!
BaltimoreLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 11:34 AM   #155
Guru

Ha! Yes! Interesting thing I found was that majority of deaths were caused by eating a pen. Eating a pen. Whatever. Darwin at work maybe? There was one lady who died due to a pencil through her ear. Ouch.

Enough with my stupid stats and arguing. My bottom line is that, like most things, drones can be fun but dangerous in the wrong hands. Whatever we need to do to reasonably prevent bad things from happening will be a good thing. Just don't ruin things for the responsible recreational hobbyist while deterring the bozos out there.
Old 01-13-2018, 11:43 AM   #156
Guru

City: Out Cruisin'
Vessel Name: SCOUT
Vessel Model: Great Harbour N37
Quote:
For the record there were 6,000 injuries caused by pens and pencils last year. Of the 6,000, 100 of them proved to be fatal. Show me 100 deaths caused by drones. If public safety is what you are after then obviously your priorities are upside down.

Here are the historical stats of injuries caused by pens and pencils in schools and offices. Quite a spike in 2015. Probably caused by all the furious and out of control people using one to register their drone.
Brilliant. Thank you.
boathealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 11:54 AM   #157

City: Lutz
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
That's a more practical solution than my imaginations expecting the shock of a 10-gauge blackpowder charge from a small cannon to dispose of a large, annoying, man-made insect. Perhaps I need to get my 20-gauge, double-barrel shotgun repaired. Better yet, get lots of loose fishing line equipped with weights and entangle the insect.
My vote is for a 6 shot 12Ga Magmun with standard rabbit shot ----good for40 yards
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 12:16 PM   #158
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Its amusing to read people suggesting operating unlawfully in order to remove something that is operating within the law.
menzies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 12:31 PM   #159
Guru

Agree. I am picturing the response and aftermath of a shotgun blast in an anchorage or marina. Licensed weapon or not. I think I would go with the "my life was endangered" defense and hope it flies. Sorry. Had to say that. My choices were "hope it flies" or "hope they don't shoot it down". Went with the first one.
Old 01-13-2018, 03:00 PM   #160
Guru

City: AICW
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post
Its amusing to read people suggesting operating unlawfully in order to remove something that is operating within the law.
Thus the disagreement by some, including me..

Some proposing their operation is legal at say 10 feet and hovering above my boat with a camera pointing into a window....is that legal? Same as a telescope? If not then discussion over in my mind.

Legal, then I have limited options...illegal....free reign.

psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote