Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-18-2018, 09:48 AM   #201
TF Site Team
 
Larry M's Avatar
 
City: JAX, FL
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 8,435
How to repair an antenna.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/amat...0868108539665/
__________________
Advertisement

Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 10:15 AM   #202
Veteran Member
 
City: Beavercreek, Ohio
Country: United States
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
I would always be tempted to get myself in so much trouble with that.

But, who needs a ski lift pass if one has a drone capable of lifting that much weight?
__________________

__________________
The way I run this thing you'd think I knew something about it. ~ Bugs Bunny
agm_66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 12:11 PM   #203
Guru
 
Seevee's Avatar
 
City: st pete
Country: usa
Vessel Model: 400 Mainship
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 2,273
I'm betting personal drones are coming and being successful. Amazon is already gearing up for deliveries with them.

For and individual drone for a person or two, I'd bet they'd be expensive, well into 6 figures, but they'll come down eventually. Not sure how controlling them would work.
__________________
Seevee
Seevee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 12:20 PM   #204
Senior Member
 
City: Lutz
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seevee View Post
I'm betting personal drones are coming and being successful. Amazon is already gearing up for deliveries with them.

For and individual drone for a person or two, I'd bet they'd be expensive, well into 6 figures, but they'll come down eventually. Not sure how controlling them would work.
Your Betting? Just how are you "betting"?? so most people are going to walk around with their personal drones hovering in front of them ? or driving to see their kids with their drone hovering along at 70 mph? or having Amazon delivering your order from their warehouse 300 miles away with a drone? where are you placing your bet? lol BTW you can buy a drone now for $700 not 6 figures
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 12:46 PM   #205
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: AICW
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 20,765
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoleo View Post
Your Betting? Just how are you "betting"?? so most people are going to walk around with their personal drones hovering in front of them ? or driving to see their kids with their drone hovering along at 70 mph? or having Amazon delivering your order from their warehouse 300 miles away with a drone? where are you placing your bet? lol BTW you can buy a drone now for $700 not 6 figures
If they are talking drone ship feighters already, drone aircraft as big as helicopters today are right around the corner for business and the rich.

Not really hard to see for the open minded..

Remember when covered wagons and steam locomotive engines were high tech?
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 12:55 PM   #206
Guru
 
cardude01's Avatar
 
City: Victoria TX
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 4,498
geoleo seems to be new here on TF. He or she hasnít figured out that most of us actually like talking to each other about different things, and that we actually meet up in person from time to time. That makes us act like real humans instead of anonymous internet trolls.
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 12:55 PM   #207
Guru
 
boathealer's Avatar
 
City: Out Cruisin'
Country: US
Vessel Name: SCOUT
Vessel Model: Great Harbour N37
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 708
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seevee View Post
For and individual drone for a person or two, I'd bet they'd be expensive, well into 6 figures, but they'll come down eventually. Not sure how controlling them would work.
That's so two years ago [grin]......

boathealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 01:00 PM   #208
Senior Member
 
City: Lutz
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 457
everyone here who strolls around gazing at their cell phones on facebook raise their flags!
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 01:04 PM   #209
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: AICW
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 20,765
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
geoleo seems to be new here on TF. He or she hasnít figured out that most of us actually like talking to each other about different things, and that we actually meet up in person from time to time. That makes us act like real humans instead of anonymous internet trolls.
I know I can be as abrasive as anyone...usually the other guy starts it though........ I try and make that my starting blocks...

But for the life of me, some of the new guys that cycle through every once and awhile crack me up.

Maybe I do the same to some....but if they call me out, I try and find other sources or members who agree and post the links at least.

They just keep posting like anyone who knows better cares.....
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 05:34 PM   #210
Guru
 
BruceK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 10,568
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
geoleo seems to be new here on TF. He or she hasnít figured out that most of us actually like talking to each other about different things, and that we actually meet up in person from time to time. That makes us act like real humans instead of anonymous internet trolls.
You are right. On a number of threads geoleo displays a "gotcha" critical mentality. It`s not that kind of Forum, we don`t want trolls.
__________________
BruceK
Island Gypsy 36 Europa "Doriana"
Sydney Australia
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 05:40 PM   #211
Senior Member
 
City: Lutz
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 457
I'm just getting too cranky---and I don't like drones - or smart phones when people are walking -so I must eat crow and apologize to all I have offended--my sailboats gone and I have nothing to do boo hoo plus all 6 of the trawlers I have looked at have been a waste.....boo hoo
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 07:12 PM   #212
Guru
 
Northern Spy's Avatar
 
City: Powell River, BC
Country: Canada
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 3,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
You are right. On a number of threads geoleo displays a "gotcha" critical mentality. It`s not that kind of Forum, we don`t want trolls.


75 posts in ten days is yeoman duty, though...
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 07:30 PM   #213
Guru
 
twistedtree's Avatar
 
City: Gloucester, MA
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 5,368
I heard about a really cool idea for drones. Have them do rounds in an ER (think large commercial ship) on a regular basis doing thermal imaging. Compare with previous and/or expected results, and flag potential problems. This can also be extended to detecting changes in smell and sound. Pretty cool, and legal operation :-)
__________________
www.MVTanglewood.com
twistedtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 07:37 PM   #214
Guru
 
boathealer's Avatar
 
City: Out Cruisin'
Country: US
Vessel Name: SCOUT
Vessel Model: Great Harbour N37
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 708
Another real good use: Drone saves two Australian swimmers in world first - BBC News
boathealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 07:38 PM   #215
Guru
 
boathealer's Avatar
 
City: Out Cruisin'
Country: US
Vessel Name: SCOUT
Vessel Model: Great Harbour N37
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 708
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
I heard about a really cool idea for drones. Have them do rounds in an ER (think large commercial ship) on a regular basis doing thermal imaging. Compare with previous and/or expected results, and flag potential problems. This can also be extended to detecting changes in smell and sound. Pretty cool, and legal operation :-)
OK, that's a really cool idea!

I've done some engineering with sound signatures and acoustic imaging in the past.

That would be fun to work on!
boathealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 08:02 PM   #216
Guru
 
Fletcher500's Avatar
 
City: So-Cal
Country: USA
Vessel Model: Helmsman 4304
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 1,274
Here is another Drone use:

One of my best friends who I have known for 40 years and a class mate from school has MSA. He was a very active guy prior to becoming ill. Surfer, boater, free diver, and a marine surveyor for his occupation. He loved the ocean, and boating.

4 years ago he was diagnosed with MSA. His body has been shutting down over the past 4 years, and now he is relegated to his wheel chair and can't lift his arms or move. His mind is fully functional. It is a brutal disease.

When I see him, he still smiles and says he has "no complaints". I am amazed at his strength and often think I would not be handling it as well as he is.

Over the past year I have come to his house every couple weeks and fly the Drone from his living room. His house is located on a cliff over the ocean. Its not a mansion, just an older house they were able to buy at a very reasonable price 30 years ago when values were much lower.

He sits next to me, and I have the IPAd display propped in front of him so he gets a real time view of what the Drone sees. We look at the ocean scenes, and search for whales. Life outside his room which he cannot leave.

I was reluctant to post this story when this string first popped up, but there is my friends Drone story.
Fletcher500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 08:08 PM   #217
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: AICW
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 20,765
And a great story at that.

I dont think anyone is 100 percent against drones, any more than one can argue with medecines that help anyone in need...whether its been legalized ir not.

It is why we fight for a free country and not one run by zealots who only see things their way.

For every inch of free airspace he needs, I am all for it....the twits that dont deserve airspace for many reasons ....I hope we can find a way to deal with.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 08:25 PM   #218
Hospitality Officer
 
Andy G's Avatar
 
City: Pittwater
Country: Australia
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,713
Hijack warning!

I have a theory.

Over the years it seems to me that most of the slightly odd and rambling threads posted on TF occur in the (northern hemisphere) winter months. Also,it seems to bring out the occasional blow-in poster that soon drifts away. A type of marine cabin fever?

Actually, not really a theory at all, more of a Friday morning after swim random thought. Right up there with some of the other drivel posted.(Gee, I'm a bit cranky this morning)
Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 09:09 PM   #219
Guru
 
dhays's Avatar
 
City: Gig Harbor
Country: United States
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 8,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy G View Post
Hijack warning!

I have a theory.

Over the years it seems to me that most of the slightly odd and rambling threads posted on TF occur in the (northern hemisphere) winter months. Also,it seems to bring out the occasional blow-in poster that soon drifts away. A type of marine cabin fever?

Actually, not really a theory at all, more of a Friday morning after swim random thought. Right up there with some of the other drivel posted.(Gee, I'm a bit cranky this morning)
I have noticed the same thing in online boating communities for a long time. For those of us not fortunate to live in warm climes, winter is a time of less boating and often less working on boats. More time for grousing.

FWIW, I find that the "ignore" feature works amazingly well at preventing me from reading trolls. I am sure that my inane posts have earned me a place on a number of ignore lists.
__________________
Regards,

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 01:19 AM   #220
Guru
 
koliver's Avatar
 
City: Saltspring Island
Country: BC, canada
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,287
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
I have noticed the same thing in online boating communities for a long time. For those of us not fortunate to live in warm climes, winter is a time of less boating and often less working on boats. More time for grousing.

FWIW, I find that the "ignore" feature works amazingly well at preventing me from reading trolls. I am sure that my inane posts have earned me a place on a number of ignore lists.

To think that only about a week ago I posted that my ignore feature was no longer necessary! I quickly saw the irony of that statement.
__________________

__________________
Keith
koliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012
×