How to repair an antenna.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/amat...0868108539665/

Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 10:15 AM   #202
Veteran Member

City: Beavercreek, Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
I would always be tempted to get myself in so much trouble with that.

But, who needs a ski lift pass if one has a drone capable of lifting that much weight?

Old 01-18-2018, 12:11 PM   #203
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 400 Mainship
I'm betting personal drones are coming and being successful. Amazon is already gearing up for deliveries with them.

For and individual drone for a person or two, I'd bet they'd be expensive, well into 6 figures, but they'll come down eventually. Not sure how controlling them would work.
Old 01-18-2018, 12:20 PM   #204

City: Lutz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seevee View Post
I'm betting personal drones are coming and being successful. Amazon is already gearing up for deliveries with them.

For and individual drone for a person or two, I'd bet they'd be expensive, well into 6 figures, but they'll come down eventually. Not sure how controlling them would work.
Your Betting? Just how are you "betting"?? so most people are going to walk around with their personal drones hovering in front of them ? or driving to see their kids with their drone hovering along at 70 mph? or having Amazon delivering your order from their warehouse 300 miles away with a drone? where are you placing your bet? lol BTW you can buy a drone now for $700 not 6 figures
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 12:46 PM   #205
Guru

City: AICW
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoleo View Post
Your Betting? Just how are you "betting"?? so most people are going to walk around with their personal drones hovering in front of them ? or driving to see their kids with their drone hovering along at 70 mph? or having Amazon delivering your order from their warehouse 300 miles away with a drone? where are you placing your bet? lol BTW you can buy a drone now for $700 not 6 figures
If they are talking drone ship feighters already, drone aircraft as big as helicopters today are right around the corner for business and the rich.

Not really hard to see for the open minded..

Remember when covered wagons and steam locomotive engines were high tech?
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 12:55 PM   #206
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
geoleo seems to be new here on TF. He or she hasnít figured out that most of us actually like talking to each other about different things, and that we actually meet up in person from time to time. That makes us act like real humans instead of anonymous internet trolls.
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 12:55 PM   #207
Guru

City: Out Cruisin'
Vessel Name: SCOUT
Vessel Model: Great Harbour N37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seevee View Post
That's so two years ago [grin]......

boathealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 01:00 PM   #208

everyone here who strolls around gazing at their cell phones on facebook raise their flags!
Old 01-18-2018, 01:04 PM   #209
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
geoleo seems to be new here on TF. He or she hasnít figured out that most of us actually like talking to each other about different things, and that we actually meet up in person from time to time. That makes us act like real humans instead of anonymous internet trolls.
I know I can be as abrasive as anyone...usually the other guy starts it though........ I try and make that my starting blocks...

But for the life of me, some of the new guys that cycle through every once and awhile crack me up.

Maybe I do the same to some....but if they call me out, I try and find other sources or members who agree and post the links at least.

They just keep posting like anyone who knows better cares.....
Old 01-18-2018, 05:34 PM   #210
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
You are right. On a number of threads geoleo displays a "gotcha" critical mentality. It`s not that kind of Forum, we don`t want trolls.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 05:40 PM   #211

I'm just getting too cranky---and I don't like drones - or smart phones when people are walking -so I must eat crow and apologize to all I have offended--my sailboats gone and I have nothing to do boo hoo plus all 6 of the trawlers I have looked at have been a waste.....boo hoo
Old 01-18-2018, 07:12 PM   #212
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
You are right. On a number of threads geoleo displays a "gotcha" critical mentality. It`s not that kind of Forum, we don`t want trolls.

75 posts in ten days is yeoman duty, though...
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 07:30 PM   #213
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
I heard about a really cool idea for drones. Have them do rounds in an ER (think large commercial ship) on a regular basis doing thermal imaging. Compare with previous and/or expected results, and flag potential problems. This can also be extended to detecting changes in smell and sound. Pretty cool, and legal operation :-)
Old 01-18-2018, 07:37 PM   #214
Guru

Another real good use: Drone saves two Australian swimmers in world first - BBC News
Old 01-18-2018, 07:38 PM   #215
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
I heard about a really cool idea for drones. Have them do rounds in an ER (think large commercial ship) on a regular basis doing thermal imaging. Compare with previous and/or expected results, and flag potential problems. This can also be extended to detecting changes in smell and sound. Pretty cool, and legal operation :-)
OK, that's a really cool idea!

I've done some engineering with sound signatures and acoustic imaging in the past.

That would be fun to work on!
Old 01-18-2018, 08:02 PM   #216
Guru

City: So-Cal
Vessel Model: Helmsman 4304
Here is another Drone use:

One of my best friends who I have known for 40 years and a class mate from school has MSA. He was a very active guy prior to becoming ill. Surfer, boater, free diver, and a marine surveyor for his occupation. He loved the ocean, and boating.

4 years ago he was diagnosed with MSA. His body has been shutting down over the past 4 years, and now he is relegated to his wheel chair and can't lift his arms or move. His mind is fully functional. It is a brutal disease.

When I see him, he still smiles and says he has "no complaints". I am amazed at his strength and often think I would not be handling it as well as he is.

Over the past year I have come to his house every couple weeks and fly the Drone from his living room. His house is located on a cliff over the ocean. Its not a mansion, just an older house they were able to buy at a very reasonable price 30 years ago when values were much lower.

He sits next to me, and I have the IPAd display propped in front of him so he gets a real time view of what the Drone sees. We look at the ocean scenes, and search for whales. Life outside his room which he cannot leave.

I was reluctant to post this story when this string first popped up, but there is my friends Drone story.
Fletcher500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 08:08 PM   #217
Guru

And a great story at that.

I dont think anyone is 100 percent against drones, any more than one can argue with medecines that help anyone in need...whether its been legalized ir not.

It is why we fight for a free country and not one run by zealots who only see things their way.

For every inch of free airspace he needs, I am all for it....the twits that dont deserve airspace for many reasons ....I hope we can find a way to deal with.
Old 01-18-2018, 08:25 PM   #218
Hospitality Officer

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin
Hijack warning!

I have a theory.

Over the years it seems to me that most of the slightly odd and rambling threads posted on TF occur in the (northern hemisphere) winter months. Also,it seems to bring out the occasional blow-in poster that soon drifts away. A type of marine cabin fever?

Actually, not really a theory at all, more of a Friday morning after swim random thought. Right up there with some of the other drivel posted.(Gee, I'm a bit cranky this morning)
Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 09:09 PM   #219
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy G View Post
Hijack warning!

I have a theory.

Over the years it seems to me that most of the slightly odd and rambling threads posted on TF occur in the (northern hemisphere) winter months. Also,it seems to bring out the occasional blow-in poster that soon drifts away. A type of marine cabin fever?

Actually, not really a theory at all, more of a Friday morning after swim random thought. Right up there with some of the other drivel posted.(Gee, I'm a bit cranky this morning)
I have noticed the same thing in online boating communities for a long time. For those of us not fortunate to live in warm climes, winter is a time of less boating and often less working on boats. More time for grousing.

FWIW, I find that the "ignore" feature works amazingly well at preventing me from reading trolls. I am sure that my inane posts have earned me a place on a number of ignore lists.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 01:19 AM   #220
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
I have noticed the same thing in online boating communities for a long time. For those of us not fortunate to live in warm climes, winter is a time of less boating and often less working on boats. More time for grousing.

FWIW, I find that the "ignore" feature works amazingly well at preventing me from reading trolls. I am sure that my inane posts have earned me a place on a number of ignore lists.

To think that only about a week ago I posted that my ignore feature was no longer necessary! I quickly saw the irony of that statement.