Dorian aims for East Coast of Florida

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just wrapped the car in preparation for the visit of our friend Dorian, it looks like a big sausage now lol.

View attachment 93594

Apparently I am right where it will touch ground in Nova Scotia!

L

Our friends got a slip at the Royal Yacht Squadron and are ready to ride it out.

Part of the Commonwealth I think means that they are entitled to military protection and a few other benefits of the UK.

The Bahamas got their independence from the UK in 1973. It is a fully independent political country.

However that doesn't mean the UK and the countries in the Commonwealth don't have a connection. Like the US the UK cares. And the UK will render aid because there is a need and because there is a connection.

More than the homes and things on the Bahamas there is the people. And as best as can be done aid will be given to the people that were impacted.

No damage from Daytona!! Can’t believe my vinyls and canvas made it. Even the dink is still there.

Attachments

• 21449A1D-AC7B-488B-9EB6-0693A313C85B.jpg
    21449A1D-AC7B-488B-9EB6-0693A313C85B.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 56
Steve -it was a non-event in Florida.

We had a breeze rainy day, in fact if we didn't know there was a storm we would have put it down to just a messy old rainy day. If the restaurants hadn't closed we would have gone to lunch and dinner!

Here we go, wind started to seriously pickup around 3 AM. Heavy rain too. We are now at around 80km/h and increasing. The worst should be in about 3 to 4h

1567849647029.jpeg

L

Things are picking up, wind are stronger and stronger, no far from 100km/h I would say.
Forecast is for up to 150km/h beginning of afternoon, it will be sporty up here!

1567857732217.jpeg

L

We are getting rain from the storm here on the Maine coast.. Winds are in the 3-5 mph range so far. We are still under a tropical storm warning. However, I think the "tropical" part of that is wishful thinking since it is currently 55 F here. Over at the marina in Southwest Harbor it is flat calm with steady north wind at 2 knots and gusts to 6.

It is supposed to get windier later today and the farther downeast you go. Here on Mount Desert Island we are right at the west edge of the tropical storm warning area. Five miles west of here there is only a small craft advisory.

Last edited:
No worry we are inside watching the show and nobody will get out for any reason.
Peak wind speed 148km/h not far from us, start to see some small branches flying around, opening bet on what tree will fall first :)
Surprisingly we still have power, NS electrician are doing good quality work, at home we would have lost power since a while!

L

Lou - Time to hunker down indoors and safely watch nature's fury with one of these
stubby_beer_bottle_labatt_177.jpg

Hoping you and yours are safe today
Be sure we have stocked quite some ammo yesterday lol
No worry we are safe, a glad not to be at sea!!!

L

Just lost power, becoming more and more interesting! :)

L

Looks pretty windy there in Nova Scotia, particularly since the storm is still quite a way away. Here on the coast of Maine it is still just a rain storm with maybe 10 mph of wind now.

Things are pretty rough now, first trees down and still getting worse. What a story to tell! :)

L

Winds are at 85mph and your video is scary enough, just imagine the Bahamas where the winds were 185mph to 220mph a week ago.
You probably want to keep away from windows for a while.

Wifey B: Not only destructive storm, but craziest freaking storm ever. :eek:

Dorian didn't amount to much in Crisfield, MD. Winds appeared to be below predicted, with rain fall higher than predicted. No news of flooding on the bay side and maybe a 1 to 2' higher tide. :flowers:

Ted

I worked with Hydro NL recently. There is a lot of southbound electrical energy to the US from this area. Some of these towers will be tested, but i am highly optimistic. [emoji106]

I hope things are OK Lou.
Everything is fine thank you!
We are entering the worst part with the eye nearby. Wind turned more north or north east and blow like hell.
The sea is really impressive, walls of water.
We should be pretty much done with it in about 4 to 5 hours.

L

Everything is fine thank you!
We are entering the worst part with the eye nearby. Wind turned more north or north east and blow like hell.
The sea is really impressive, walls of water.
We should be pretty much done with it in about 4 to 5 hours.

L

The fortunate part for you is it's traveling in excess of 25 mph, not 1 mph.

The worst is over and is heading Halifax now. Still windy but far less. Sea is rough, waves crashing on the shore bringing back pieces of trees.
Few trees on ground but less than I would have expected with this force of wind.

L

The worst is over and is heading Halifax now. Still windy but far less. Sea is rough, waves crashing on the shore bringing back pieces of trees.
Few trees on ground but less than I would have expected with this force of wind.

L

Glad you came through it OK Lou.

Just saw the latest news, was a cat 2 when hitting us, wind at 160km/h and burst at 195km/h. Will hit Halifax as cat 1 or 2.
Currently worsening in Halifax, apparently a construction crane collapsed downtown.

L

Back
Top Bottom