Dorian aims for East Coast of Florida

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Depends, I have seen zipped up, decent condition enclosures endure pretty high wind nor'eastets that last a couple days.

Winds peaking over 60.

The bridges between Miami and Ft L are locked down.

Even though Miami is out of the Cone now, I’m going to finish my hurricane prep. I have two trailer boats in my yard. Any suggestions for securing trailer boats?

Keeping the boat secured to the trailer and then the trailer secured to something solid.

Remove & stow anything that is loose. Including seats if removeable.
Stow these items inside if possible
Connect the winch to the bow eye (if not already) And the bow anchor strap.
Run mooring lines from cleats to the trailer or under the trailer to the other side.
Use anchor straps on the stern to trailer frame
Run mooring lines or straps around the entire stern under the trailer.
As stated above if possible run lines to screwed in ground anchors.
Or strap trailer frame to foundational structures. (Tree trunk, pole or other)
Connecting tow vehicle to trailer may help depending on the weight of the TV to Trailer. If light trailer I would connect the TV. Like the boat-trailer weighs half of the TV. Keeping the boat-trailer from being air borne of moving is the goal.

I agree, was very surprised at the call. I haven't heard of any other counties doing that yet.

Glynn County pulled that with Irma. The Governor had already declared an evacuation for Saturday morning at 8. On Thursday night at 8, the county decided to call a mandatory evacuation for 12 hours later. This left everyone with no way to finish preparing their property. All stores closed. UPS had to stop running, etc.

And this was three days before the storm was scheduled to arrive. It was nuts.

Apparently, they are meeting tonight. Hopefully they don’t pull the same stunt.

There's a live update from the JAX leaders at five - live on News4Jax.com.

At the last update they said no mandatories yet. There has been mixed reports on the schools, saying that they are closed Tuesday and now they are open.

Will be watching the update.

Keeping the boat secured to the trailer and then the trailer secured to something solid.

Remove & stow anything that is loose. Including seats if removeable.
Stow these items inside if possible
Connect the winch to the bow eye (if not already) And the bow anchor strap.
Run mooring lines from cleats to the trailer or under the trailer to the other side.
Use anchor straps on the stern to trailer frame
Run mooring lines or straps around the entire stern under the trailer.
As stated above if possible run lines to screwed in ground anchors.
Or strap trailer frame to foundational structures. (Tree trunk, pole or other)
Connecting tow vehicle to trailer may help depending on the weight of the TV to Trailer. If light trailer I would connect the TV. Like the boat-trailer weighs half of the TV. Keeping the boat-trailer from being air borne of moving is the goal.

Block up trailer and put some water in the boat maybe using big buckets to weight it down.
Or add some extra weight another way. You dont want to just fill bilge, it might overfill with rain.

Mandatory Evac for JAX zone A and B - basically along the coast and ICW, plus flooding areas of St John's basin.

They also said not to worry about the winds and rain we will see tomorrow and Tuesday, that is not Dorian. Because we are going through a Nor' Easter! I heard from that - saturated ground and swollen rivers and streams before we even start!

Mobile home twist in ground anchors with a couple of ratchet straps over the boat

Yes, but weight it down some more also. And blocking is better, the trailer springs and supension and tires wont be yanking as hard on the anchors.

That's a very early call, no?

It is, but be aware of what A and B are and history. Palm Beach has also issued A and B evacuations. They're mobile homes and barrier islands. My understanding is Mar a Lago is in the evacuation zone.

Jacksonville area has had a rough past few years and will likely flood again.

I am quite happy staying and seeing how it goes. But the young lady is right now moving patio and pool stuff inside the house and telling me we are going!

Boat is on the hill for the week, so insurance will be happy with that plan if anything happens. Well inland at Lambs where the effect right now is seen to be not as bad. But any "wobble" west could be bad news.

We will see what tomorrow brings! We would probably head off to a Destin resort Tuesday and make a mid-week dirty beach weekend out of it! :D
P

Just saw an amusing meme, with more than a hint of truth.

Just because the storm has it's blinker on, doesn't mean it is going to turn.

This is Florida after all!

I am quite happy staying and seeing how it goes. But the young lady is right now moving patio and pool stuff inside the house and telling me we are going!

Boat is on the hill for the week, so insurance will be happy with that plan if anything happens. Well inland at Lambs where the effect right now is seen to be not as bad. But any "wobble" west could be bad news.

We will see what tomorrow brings! We would probably head off to a Destin resort Tuesday and make a mid-week dirty beach weekend out of it! :D
P

I wouldn't think you'd be in an evacuation zone.

P

Got your paid reservations?

It is, but be aware of what A and B are and history. Palm Beach has also issued A and B evacuations. They're mobile homes and barrier islands. My understanding is Mar a Lago is in the evacuation zone.

Jacksonville area has had a rough past few years and will likely flood again.

Palm Beach A and B have a very different likelyhood of hurricane threats. A lot more direct hits in south Fl. Jax and St Aug are usually less affected, so I'm surprised at the call. I live across the street from ICW and am at 18.4' above sealevel. The difference is marsh barrier up here. PB is all developed to the bank.

Parks

If you still live in the Grove I wouldn’t do anything but strap the boat to the trailer. My dingy is on chocks on the upper deck on the big boat on the river and I’m doing nothing.

I wouldn't think you'd be in an evacuation zone.

We are officially in A due to proximity to the ICW and surrounded by a flood zone. During Irma's mandatory they even mentioned our development, saying that the lock does not protect you from this and you need to go.

We didn't and were fine. Lock was never any where near breaching. (Was slightly for Matthew).

Wife is now fed up with continuing to stay as all we seem to do is hunker down for the duration. So why not just go into a nice hotel and relax. I guess she has a point.

Last edited:
Got your paid reservations?

Went onto Hotels.com and there are plenty over there open, including plenty in the resort I am targeting! Not many from here will go that far given that there are no orders for the west side of JAX.

In fact I don't think many are actually going to go at all - even from the beaches. Wednesday may change that. By that time I may be best friends with the bar staff and Captain!

Last edited:
The 5pm update. The damn thing has slowed to 4kts and could be going slower (half trawler speed) and is sitting right over the top of the Abacos.

Dorian has slowed down even more and is now moving toward the west
or 270 degrees at 4 kt. The steering currents are collapsing and
Dorian is expected to slow down a little more, prolonging its
catastrophic effects in the northwestern Bahamas. The NHC forecast
calls for a slow west to west-northwest motion during the next 48
hours. A turn to the north and northeast with a gradual increase in
forward speed is expected thereafter, as the mid-level trough over
the eastern United States deepens. The current forecast is not very
different from the previous one, and it is very close to the
multi-model consensus TVCA. Both the deterministic and consensus
tracks have shown the usual variability to the right or to the left
from run to run, but the overall trend is for the hurricane to turn
northward offshore but dangerously close to the Florida peninsula.

Last edited:
While areas like Marsh Harbor and the Abacos have received severe damage and now Grand Bahamas a target, I've seen some videos in Nassau which show surge and rising waters and considerable damage there as well. On the other hand, with water running through the streets there are still buildings still standing and looking somewhat ok in the Abacos. Very typical in making it difficult to even assess the extent of the damage this early.

Back
Top Bottom