Docking with a spring line.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When I had one and ran many other twin screw, aft cockpit boats, I pretty much NEVER went bow in for multiple reasons.

I get that different boats, different docking and different conditions all warrant slight to major changes in techniques. Thus my previous post of having lots of options with springs versus the too often proclaimed "midship spring" as the best and only.

There were many a day and marina I longed for my old sportfish for many reasons....until I pulled up to the fuel dock and really glad I wasn't cruising it this year.... :D

Come to think you shouldn’t let perfect get in the way of good and any docking where you don’t hit anything is good.
So as a ex sailor and new to us single screw trawler just try to safely dock good enough we are secure and can safely disembark. Once we have a stern, bow and some form of spring at that point can safely ease and tighten those lines to get into our final position. Will even use the engine or thrusters after the lines are out to get there. I don’t even care if initially my bow is hanging out to the point I can’t initially secure a bow line. Think the first goal is just get secure enough to safely disembark and not hit anyone. My current slip is a double with a pretty 54’ Oyster next to us. Next means ~2 foot away. Our fenders on that side touch . Prevailings blow me into him. I need a camera to see the dinghy on the freedom lift. Generally get half way in and then use a line off the midship cleat. Sometimes that line is brought back to midship. Sometimes bought to the bow cleat. That allows that line to slide but still keep you from blowing away from the dock. Sometimes as a spring (could be fore or aft). We don’t cleat both ends of any line until we’re in our final position. Rather loop them around the dock cleat and brought back to the boat. Don’t trust dock hands unless I have to. Also have no ego and I’m not reluctant to leave and try again when I screw up the first approach.

Last edited:
Single screw, no thruster vessel.... pretty much NEVER backed into a slip...bow in much easier in AND out in varied conditions.

Plus with my boat ....and having a dingy and swim platform....going bow in with a little dock overhang got the forward door/rail opening next to the many shorter fingers I encountered making getting on/off mor convenient.

Boats with cockpits and no worry about using the dink, I can see backing in as a preferred method.

I'm on an end tie at our marina and tried to use the mid ship spring and it does work but we have to exit the boat at the swim platform so I do the stern tie. Ok, yes I have a bow thruster that makes everything easy in our benign conditions. Once, before thruster installation the wind was blowing 16 -18 off the dock. I tried over and over to swing my stern in but it is a long climb down from the fly bridge to the swim platform and the wind would just blow me off. So, I just backed her in perpendicular and got the stern tied. Then it was a combination of thrust, tossing a long line over the dock, hastening to the platform, off, and pull her in against the wind. It took quite a while for my shoulders to feel better again. Damn I'm getting old.

Sorry to hear of your ordeal.

Engine and springs should do most of the work...if not, a different combo of springs and engine might be in order....with a thruster worth a crapola...should be less stressful and less painful.

I learned a long time ago never try to manhandle boats over 25-30 feet.... above that range....we/ they are called linehandlers, not line pullers.

Engine and springs should do most of the work...if not, a different combo of springs and engine might be in order....with a thruster worth a crapola...should be less stressful and less painful.

I learned a long time ago never try to manhandle boats over 25-30 feet.... above that range....we/ they are called linehandlers, not line pullers.

Yes, I learned I'm not as young as yesteryear and stuff that hurts lasts much longer. My brain still thinks I'm 35.

Absolutely.

No way would I want to pull lines or fend off boats etc.

What I found though when I want to tighten the lines after it’s already tied off is to step on the line which even on my 60’ boat will move it towards the dock.

Yes, I learned I'm not as young as yesteryear and stuff that hurts lasts much longer. My brain still thinks I'm 35.

I like the saying:

When you're young an injury hurts "for a while".

When you're older it "hurts from now on".

Absolutely.

No way would I want to pull lines or fend off boats etc.

What I found though when I want to tighten the lines after it’s already tied off is to step on the line which even on my 60’ boat will move it towards the dock.

In extreme coditions, stepping does work but sometimes can be awkward as I have seen more than a few get launched....better have good balance.

Most of the time, I just hold the line and lean back...takes a long bit to get the boat moving, but ultimately it will. Helps to weigh more than 200 lbs. It keeps from straining arms and back.

In extreme coditions, stepping does work but sometimes can be awkward as I have seen more than a few get launched....better have good balance.

Most of the time, I just hold the line and lean back...takes a long bit to get the boat moving, but ultimately it will. Helps to weigh more than 200 lbs. It keeps from straining arms and back.

I use the pull technique as well. Once you get it to start moving you can then pull with one arm if the force is manageable allowing you to stop and take up the slack with the other hand.

I use the pull technique as well. Once you get it to start moving you can then pull with one arm if the force is manageable allowing you to stop and take up the slack with the other hand.

I really don't even use much if any arm, just reach with the other arm, grab the line and lean back again.... sort of like rope climbing but the line is coming to you so not much effort at all. Plus leaning back with your legs braced give you the advantage of not being pulled into the water by unexpected circumstances (seen that all too many times).... just let go of the rope and your in a good position or maybe stagger step back a bit.

When docking boats and all kinds of nautical equipment all day, using as little energy is necessary for the humping of salvage equipment and the like.

Last edited:
This is boating 101, but I had trouble today docking port side to with an aft spring line to my midship cleat. I hadn't tried it before with this boat (Albin 40 single screw). The bow came around into the dock and the stern kicked out in spite of me turning the wheel full to starboard. My suspicion is the cleat is too far forward. Before I add a new cleat, am I thinking properly?
Thanks all.

Just get a longer spring line or move the boat.

Back
Top Bottom