Docking with a Larger Dinghy in tight quarters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Make
Helmsman 4304
I tow a 13 ft Bullfrog with a 30Hp engine often. Bridal on both cleats, about 70 to 80 ft back open ocean, and then close hauled behind the boat using the painter when I am in tight quarters for docking and mooring.

For short distances in a calm marina where it’s very tight with other boats around and space is limited, does anyone tie off their Dinghy athwartship while maneuvering? IE, the towed vessel is perpendicular to the swim step for maneuvers.

Yes. My wife ties it up as you describe, and it works just fine. We do this if the tender is in the water when arriving and departing from marinas and anchorages. Tender is an AB 9.5 with a nice deep entry, and generally the motor is tilted up.

I used to own a 13-foot Boston Whaler with a 50-HP OB which I infrequently towed behind my GB42 in the ICW (never in open water). The short finger piers between slips (separated by concrete pilings) in the marina where I kept the trawler required backing in unless you owned a bow ramp. Placing the BW athwartship would have resulted in the Whaler stuck behind the trawler unless a neighbor left, and the trawler would have stuck well out of the slip into the fairway to make room for the Whaler astern. Then there was the issue of not dinging up the Whaler and/or its motor on the concrete pilings if I was just a tiny bit off perfect alignment backing in. Since the Whaler was to be placed on its trailer after mooring, I needed it off the bow when the big boat was secured in the slip. Once I was near the marina breakwater, I rigged a towline from the midship cleat on the port side with enough length to allow the BW to slide to a position a bit forward of the bow as I slowed to a stop opposite my slip to stbd and put the engines in a twist to port. Stopping the big boat in the slip left it momentarily stable enough for me to ensure the Whaler was OK before I continued securing the GB. This was done singlehanded.

We back into our slip. When in the harbor we shorten the tow so as the dingy is right at the swim platform. When we approach the slip one of us walks the dingy forward and tie it off at the bow. Maybe 5 or 6 feet of line. When backing down the dingy follows the bow. If I have to abort and go forward the dingy just falls in along side the bow. Easy peezy.

Keep a close eye on the dinghy, that the painter or tow line does not get sucked into the props. I've seen that happen.

Another trick is learning how to flip the dinghy back upright. I saw a boat manuouvering with the dingbat tied alongside, a large Boston Whaler. I don't really know what happened specifically but the B.W. flipped and it doesn't matter at this point. It took two other boats, one with a crane to lift and another to pull the bow as the crane boat lowered again.

Didn't know either party. Both problems were a long time ago so not very common yet every once in a while things happen.

I just point this out to warn of possibilities to be aware of. Keep a close eye on the dinghy and correct any possible problems practicing.

A final note is many of those we see towing drop the dinghy with one of the people aboard taking it in alone unless the slip is in the dead clear.

Yes, most towed dinghies we see have no trouble other than deciding just where and how to secure the dinghy.

Ok then, athwartship it is.

I am well aware of the lines, and take care to prevent them from getting in the prop.

I use to tow the 20ft tin boat in my avatar, one summer we towed over a thousand miles. When we go into a marina we would ask for a side tie and the tin boat would be tied to the opposite side of the big boat before we entered the marina. It took just a few minutes to get the fenders out and the small boat secured.... It was no big deal...

Even better to put it on your hip, depending on what maneuver and what close quarters you are working with. Not so great to enter a traditional slip ;)

Edit: Ka sea ta beat me to it.

I have towed the Dink about 750 miles over the past 2 years so I am fairly familiar with what needs to be done, including making sure I don't wrap up the lines in the prop. I have hip tied and off the stern with the painter to the bow of the Dink when in close quarters. I was just curious if other people use an athwartship tie when in tight spots, because I don't recall seeing anyone else doing it. Just looking for different methods, depending on what's going on.

Whenever we tow the 15' AB we manage it two ways.

If going onto a "lay-along" long dock or T-Head we tie it bow and stern against the outside hull.

If backing into a slip we tie the bow of the dinghy onto a bow cleat. As we back in the RIB hangs off the bow. Once tied up we put the RIB wherever it will fit in that particular transient slip.

We back into our slip. When in the harbor we shorten the tow so as the dingy is right at the swim platform. When we approach the slip one of us walks the dingy forward and tie it off at the bow. Maybe 5 or 6 feet of line. When backing down the dingy follows the bow. If I have to abort and go forward the dingy just falls in along side the bow. Easy peezy.

BINGO!!! That is how I always did it!!!

Back
Top Bottom