Delaware & Raritan Canal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Despite growing up about 1/2 mile from the Delaware & Raritan Canal, and riding my bike along the tow paths on a regular basis, I never really realized it's significance, and how nice it would be for cruisers if it were still in operation.

It connects (or used to) the Raritan Bay inside of Sandy Hook starting in New Brunswick, with the Delaware River in Bordentown a bit north of Philadelphia. It's about half the distance from NYC to the C&D Canal, and all inland, as opposed to the outside route down the Jew Jersey Coast. Too bad it's long gone as a navigable waterway, and makes you appreciate the canal systems that remain in operation.

I also many a time wished the waterway from the DelBay to Chincoteague and below was all operational for up to treasonable sized cruisers.

Went to Rutgers so very familiar with Raritan Canal.

Last edited:
Despite growing up about 1/2 mile from the Delaware & Raritan Canal, and riding my bike along the tow paths on a regular basis, I never really realized it's significance, and how nice it would be for cruisers if it were still in operation.

It connects (or used to) the Raritan Bay inside of Sandy Hook starting in New Brunswick, with the Delaware River in Bordentown a bit north of Philadelphia. It's about half the distance from NYC to the C&D Canal, and all inland, as opposed to the outside route down the Jew Jersey Coast. Too bad it's long gone as a navigable waterway, and makes you appreciate the canal systems that remain in operation.

A timely thought.

Heading down the New Jersey coast currently with about 15 knots out of the NW tucked up under the beach. Have maybe a 2' swell from the hurricane down south. Sure would be nice to be in that canal now.

Ted

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom