Cruising for a Captain Recommendation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bwester

Fairly new boat owners here who recently retired and wanting to go from Ensenada to La Paz. This will be our first long range trip so our thoughts are leaning towards hiring a knowledgeable Captain to assist us on the trip, help build the confidence factor, and coach us on the do’s and don’ts of the trip. We were hoping to hook up with a south bound convoy but with our late start and the COVID situation there aren’t many if any organized groups out there this year. So with things the way they are; and us not getting any younger we figured we would see if we could find a Captain to help us with the first trip. If anyone can recommend a knowledgeable, easy going Captain with experience going from Ensenada to La Paz I would appreciate you reaching out. Our timeframe is to leave sometime in January. Our boat is a 1985 Kadey Krogen 42, single engine Ford Lehman 135 hp with stabilizers. Experience with Diesel engines would be a plus since I’m still learning. Thanks for any info and input. I wasn’t sure where to post this question on the forum, so hope it’s ok here.

Bwester - might be tough to find someone. I've looked for a Surveyor in Ensenada and have had trouble finding marine professionals beyond repair yards. Getting someone down from San Diego was a non starter.

You may want to try CruisersForum, sail oriented sister site to TF. La Paz is a popular hangout spot for cruisers. You may be able to find a crew person to come up to Ensenada.

I've done that coast several times and while it's desolate, it's pretty straightforward. Anchorages are open for the most part as you'd expect. The Baja Ha Ha stops of Sta Maria and Turtle Bay are good stops - it's been over 15 years, but I especially liked Sta Maria.

Im still toying with how I get my Willard 36 from Ensenada to Florida. I originally planned to cruise over a couple years, then Covid came along a had some unanticipated changes both good and bad so I thought about shipping. Now I'm leaning towards running her home but more of a delivery pace. So I may be following your wake soon.

Best of luck. Please post about your trip.

Peter

This is exactly the kind of thing I do, but on the other coast.

What you're looking for is pretty rare. Delivery skippers often want to hop in and go, not be bothered by the owner being on board, or doing any training. That's what sort of got me into doing delivery gigs. I do a lot of on-water training for another organization I belong to, and I do a lot of cruising in my own trawler, so trawler deliveries with the owner on board became my niche market.

I don't have many connections on the West Coast, but I'm thinking maybe local organizations like the Power Squadron, USCG Auxiliary or boat/yacht clubs might know someone with a similar background to mine.

Good luck. PM me if you have any specific questions.

Captain

I recently used a fantastic captain who does training and invites owners to travel with boat. He is on the east coast but has done work on the west coast. It is worth a try..he is excellent.

https://premieryachtservice.com/

Instead of hiring a "delivery captain", you might want to consider seeing if you can hook up with a fellow boating couple, preferably with a similar sized boat, or perhaps someone who has recently sold their boat. A couple with some experience doing what you want to do. Offer to cover all their expenses to "share the cruise" with you on a leisurely trip to La Paz. Who knows, someone may take you up on it!

Reach out to Jeff Merrill +1 949.355.4950 at Jeff Merrill Yacht Sales (www.JMYS.com). He has a Rolodex the size of a phone book. He's ex-PAE, and a really nice guy to boot. He has worked for years with folks like yourself who aspire to cruising but have gaps in their knowledge or confidence level.

As a guy who used to deliver between Alaska and Mexico who now lives in Florida, my suggestion is to find someone with experience on the West Coast. Baja is pretty desolate so you won't find local knowledge except in pockets (Mag Bay for example), but there is a rhythm to the entire coastline that is much different than the East Coast. The challenges are much different. Anchoring on Baja is open roadstead, and anchorages can be 100s of miles apart, and many are poorly documented. Net result is you will be running at night, especially this time of year. Takes a bit of getting used to, so I understand wanting wing-man along.

If you call Jeff, tell him Peter P with the Willard 36 in Ensenada says howdy.

Peter

Last edited:
My buddy Terrence is just who you want, I'll PM you.

You might contact e2 Yacht Services out of Puerto Vallarta. Their web address is E2 Yacht Services - MexicoE2 Yacht Services. We made the same trip back in November of 2003. We purchased our boat in San Diego and hired a captain who was familiar with the boat to take us to Ensenada so my wife and I could in turn gain confidence. When we left for Cabo we had another experienced boating couple with us. As someone else mentioned anchorages are few and far between (Turtle Bay, Santa Maria, Magdalena) and you will be running 24 hours for several days before getting to Turtle Bay and will have overnights to Santa Maria or Magdalena before another overnight to Cabo. It tough for a single couple whereas 4 people can set up a reasonable watch schedule. The only real easy fuel availability is Turtle Bay although you can fuel at Magdalena but it's a hassle

rjwilliams - good shout-out on crew. I've done it with two, three, and four aboard (myself as captain included). I've done multi-day runs doublehanded, but was with paid crew. I've done it with just my wife and it didn't go too well - I had to hide the sharp objects on that first overnight run. Many, she was pissed-off.

Last year, we ran non-stop from San Francisco to Ensenada, a run of 500 nms and just over 3-days non-stop. Three aboard, including my wife. I think three is about perfect on a smallish boat. Everyone stands one lousy 2-hour watch at night; and two 3-hour watches during the day. Gives plenty of time for gabbing, meals, counting whales, and sleep. Four people aboard is okay, but starts to get a bit crowded for sleeping.

Peter

rjwilliams - good shout-out on crew. I've done it with two, three, and four aboard (myself as captain included). I've done multi-day runs doublehanded, but was with paid crew. I've done it with just my wife and it didn't go too well - I had to hide the sharp objects on that first overnight run. Many, she was pissed-off.

Last year, we ran non-stop from San Francisco to Ensenada, a run of 500 nms and just over 3-days non-stop. Three aboard, including my wife. I think three is about perfect on a smallish boat. Everyone stands one lousy 2-hour watch at night; and two 3-hour watches during the day. Gives plenty of time for gabbing, meals, counting whales, and sleep. Four people aboard is okay, but starts to get a bit crowded for sleeping.

Peter
I was pretty lucky in that my wife actually like the night watches. The hardest ones for us where the 1 night 24 hour cruise. On several day transits we got in to a routine where sleeping when not on watch was "our job" at the time, had a hard time getting in that mode on a 1 nighters.

I was pretty lucky in that my wife actually like the night watches. The hardest ones for us where the 1 night 24 hour cruise. On several day transits we got in to a routine where sleeping when not on watch was "our job" at the time, had a hard time getting in that mode on a 1 nighters.
I met a cruising couple on a Willard 40 who had been from Alaska to main and back. She was a retired ER Nurse who had worked night shift for years and loved overnight watches. He was a retired fire chief who naturally awoke early. Their natural rhythms were perfect for cruising multi-day runs.

I agree that the first night is difficult. Or more aptly put, the natural cadence of a multi day run is extremely relaxing once established. The rest of the world melts away. If it's not on the radar or VHF or weather forecast, it doesn't exist.

Happy holidays.

Peter

Bwester, I live in Emmett and read about your adventure in the Messenger Index many months ago. I was inspired by what you and your wife are doing. In fact, I bought a Chapman's and Beebe's book and have been reading nothing but Nauti-stuff while binging yachtworld ever since. Figure I should start my education now, a couple years out from retirement. Obviously I have no advice for you. Just wanted to wish you two well and say thanks for getting out there. Curious if there's any way to follow along and learn from your mistakes (um, I mean adventures ;)) Do you have a blog/vlog or do FB?
-Deric

Bwester,
You should have an extensive survey done on your boat.

Then you should take a US Power Squadrons boating course. And while you’re studying apply yourself like you’re out on the ocean.

And read.

And re a paid Captain he’d want the extensive survey too. It’s a risk for him too ... not as great but it’s not his boat. He likely wouldn’t do it until he was very familiar w the boat ... that’s probably been sitting around for some time.

Study and take short runs w your boat using it as a classroom.

And going w other boats and boaters is a good idea but it only lowers the risk bar some. Boating in the ocean is high risk.

Last edited:
B squad where on earth is Emmitt?
Like what state?

Yes. Emmett, Idaho. Small farming town about 30mi N of Boise. A pretty little valley with ranches and orchards - on the edge of the sagebrush sea - far from any ocean...
BUT I sure don't want to hijack Bwester's thread!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom