Cooper River SC / Lake Moultrie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ben

Guru
Vessel Name
Silver Lining
Vessel Make
Heritage East 44 / Twin Perkins T6.3544
I’ve been looking about and not found it. Is the Cooper River navigable to Lake Moultrie, and further, to Santee Lake? Charts go far, but don’t seem to show a full connection.

Anyone with first-hand knowledge on depths and currents?

If you look at Google maps and switch to satellite image, there is a lock on the lake Moultrie to the Cooper River. It also shows a canal between lake Moultrie and lake Marion. There is a power plant on the canal. I would imagine that occasional tug and barge traffic transits the water way to the power plant. Might be worth checking the Army Corps of Engineers website to see the status and operation times of the Pinopolis lock.

Ted

Small boats go from Charleston via the Cooper River and the Lakes to Columbia, SC, all the time. You'll need to check the charts for depth. Not sure what your boat draws. I live in Charleston.

Capt Michael,

Could you get a trawler with a 4 ft draft to Columbia? Would like to visit my brother there. Thx

Capt Michael,

Could you get a trawler with a 4 ft draft to Columbia? Would like to visit my brother there. Thx

You might also try calling the USCG and or assistance tow companies in Charleston.... even the ACOE as Ted suggested at the Lake Marion/Lake Moultrie locks to see if traffic that far is still moving.

You can certainly take a boat from the Cooper River to Lake Moultrie, but there is a railroad swing bridge with about a 10' clearance that is not staffed. You need to call in advance for an opening.

There is also a lock to enter the lake.

Navionics will route you there.

Railroad bridge crossing the Cooper River at Strawberry is tended from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. year round. The bridge has a 10’ clearance and if you need to have it opened you must notify the attendant 6 hours in advance (843) 899-7647 or (843) 761-1572 Mon – Sun. 8:30am to 4pm.

https://www.santeecoopercountry.org/listing-item/navigation/

Some other folks on the net have addressed the swing bridge. I don't think the lock at the dam at Monck's Corner will be an issue. It is narrow but deep. Run by the Corps of Engineers. After the lock, you would have to traverse the Lakes, separated by a small canal at Cross, SC. I do not know its depth, but I do not think 4' for a Mainship would be a problem. You have to traverse both lakes, which were created in the 1930's for the New Deal rural electrification. The cover swamped farmland.

There is a river or ? that runs north of the lakes to Columbia, but I do not know its depth. I do know that smaller boats with outboards make the run all the time. But I'm not confident at all about a 43 Mainship. Put the burden on your brother to find out, or tell him to drive to Charleston (90 miles) to meet you.

The Granby Dam and Lock was built in the early 1900s to "provide at least a 4-foot navigation depth in the Congaree River up to the city of Columbia." While lock appears to have been out of service for a long time, details of the dam removal are scarce.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom