Columbia River Border

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Our travel between states isn’t quite that restrictive, yet...

Not looking at Astoria to the icefields, just the 20 miles or so between Trail BC and Northport WA.

Probably best to just give them a call or a visit. What kind of boat?
I noticed in your link there are no docks at the customs houses on both sides of the river.

caltexflanc said:
There doesn't seem to be a "them" so I assume the two "customs houses" are not regularly staffed; there is no contact information for either.

caltexflanc said:
I noticed in your link there are no docks at the customs houses on both sides of the river.
You noticed correctly, that's why I am asking. Trail RCMP don't know and just passed off to CBSA. CBSA has no local contact.

Type of boat is irrelevant, I just thought there might be some local knowledge with an easy, firsthand answer.

When I look at the Google Map link in your OP I see both the Canada and US border stations for that area. Have you called them? I don't see any docks so you'll have to dingy ashore and walk to the offices.
There doesn't seem to be a "them" so I assume the two "customs houses" are not regularly staffed; there is no contact information for either.

You noticed correctly, that's why I am asking. Trail RCMP don't know and just passed off to CBSA. CBSA has no local contact.

Type of boat is irrelevant, I just thought there might be some local knowledge with an easy, firsthand answer.

Attachments

• CR borders.jpg
    CR borders.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 25
  • Colville.JPG
    Colville.JPG
    17.6 KB · Views: 17
  • Salmo.JPG
    Salmo.JPG
    20.3 KB · Views: 17
When I look at the Google Map link in your OP I see both the Canada and US border stations for that area. Have you called them? I don't see any docks so you'll have to dingy ashore and walk to the offices.
Portage Bay, thank you for the screenshot.
I made contact with the Colville CBP number you showed and was told river transit at that border is not permitted, even in normal times.

We had thought that might be the case, as it is with the many forest servce roads crossing the border.
Thanks again.

Interesting. Covid concerns aside I wonder what the bureaucratic logic behind that decision is? If there were no border stations that might make sense. But there are both US and Canada border stations, a highway and maybe a rail line. Clearly there is some cross border traffic.

Interesting. Covid concerns aside I wonder what the bureaucratic logic behind that decision is? If there were no border stations that might make sense. But there are both US and Canada border stations, a highway and maybe a rail line. Clearly there is some cross border traffic.

I guess the water traffic is just too difficult to enforce and not worth the expense of installing off site calling.

A friend has a 6mo contract in Trail and is thinking of taking his 22’ tin boat.

You can not travel up the Columbia River all the way to BC. You will need to trailer your boat to Lake Roosevelt. Don’t think they are too worried about boats trying to sneak in via Lake Roosevelt. It’s pretty narrow there so they will see you and probably chase you down.

You can not travel up the Columbia River all the way to BC. You will need to trailer your boat to Lake Roosevelt. Don’t think they are too worried about boats trying to sneak in via Lake Roosevelt. It’s pretty narrow there so they will see you and probably chase you down.
That was never the intent nor the topic of this thread.
Not looking at Astoria to the icefields, just the 20 miles or so between Trail BC and Northport WA.

Your question set me to wondering: How are they dealing with the unusual geography of Stewart/Hyder? Anyone know?

Well EXCUSE me!

Sorry we lack mind reading skills oh great one. And forgive me for indulging in curiosity about the boat. How impertinent of me.

I guess the water traffic is just too difficult to enforce and not worth the expense of installing off site calling.

A friend has a 6mo contract in Trail and is thinking of taking his 22’ tin boat.

I recall seeing something that listed the only Canadian border stations remaining open during Covid. There weren't very many, and those were only the bigger ones. I didn't take the trouble to look it up.

Also, I doubt that even in a non-Covid summer there would be enough demand to have a border station available to river traffic. Easier to get you to cross at a highway station.

I recall seeing something that listed the only Canadian border stations remaining open during Covid. There weren't very many, and those were only the bigger ones. I didn't take the trouble to look it up.

Also, I doubt that even in a non-Covid summer there would be enough demand to have a border station available to river traffic. Easier to get you to cross at a highway station.
Yes, closures did happen and wasn't Poets Cove one of them?
The original question was general to "normal times" and if there was perhaps an alternative to in person.

Well EXCUSE me!

Sorry we lack mind reading skills oh great one. And forgive me for indulging in curiosity about the boat. How impertinent of me.
Lol. Sorry I fixed you up with a snit; wait, no I'm not.

In the context of the original question, "kind of boat" was as relevant as hat size. Coulda been starkers on an inner tube, the question and answer would not change.

:banghead:You kids stop that fighting or the mods will send you to your rooms.:banghead:

I gave them a call several years ago when I was researching this for finishing the Columbia River in my 16' C-Dory. There are some standing waves and "rapids" right at the border ( about 6 knot current), but not an issue for a small planing hull with an 18" draft. Having cruised most of the lower river, I contacted both the US Coast Guard and US Border Control. Neither was interested in talking with me. I asked Boarder Control where they could meet me to conduct any inspection and they said there was no place. CG said they had no personnel in the area and referred me back to Border Patrol.

IIRC, the next several dams above the border have locks, probably for log rafts coming down river from the huge reservoirs on the Columbia. This gives access to miles and miles of cruising, some of which is quite remote. I didn't look into the issue of whether the locks, like those in the US, are operated with a preference to commercial traffic but open to recreational traffic at no charge.

What was interesting was that the first dam above the border has locks and there are no mills or towns below it. That means that the final BC lock is only useful for vessels crossing the US border (or vice versa for vessels able to go upstream).

I didn't bother with contacting Canadian Customs, which is probably the one who would actually care (until I came back by river instead of trailer). I have no idea what they would say if I called and gave them my NEXUS card information and stated intention to enter Canada as I would do on the coast. How would Canada deal with a vessel inspection if required? There are public boat ramps above the border in BC on the Columbia. My guess is that they would also say they have no way of meeting a vessel despite docks, locks, and ramps. My second guess is that if I crossed without contacting them they would figure out a way to meet with me, and not in a friendly way. Same with coming back from BC.

Last edited:
Marco Flamingo said:
How would Canada deal with a vessel inspection if required? There are public boat ramps above the border in BC on the Columbia. My guess is that they would also say they have no way of meeting a vessel despite docks, locks, and ramps. My second guess is that if I crossed without contacting them they would figure out a way to meet with me, and not in a friendly way. Same with coming back from BC.
That was our conclusion as well. Technology is the likely border guard on that border and I assume my phone number was duly noted by CBP.

Have you fished that area of the river?

What was interesting was that the first dam above the border has locks and there are no mills or towns below it. That means that the final BC lock is only useful for vessels crossing the US border (or vice versa for vessels able to go upstream).

Take another look, there is a large mill immediately adjacent to that first upstream BC dam and lock. Interesting.

I think that is the Keenleyslide dam that backs up Arrow Lake. The log rafts and mill are above the dam. I doubt that they take log rafts through the locks as the Columbia appears to be free flowing from the dam until the US border. The last sentence in this Wikipedia post about the dam says that there are locks that are free to recreational boaters. That's great, but where do you think you are you going, cowboy?

Marco Flamingo said:
I watched some of the YouTube videos on catching burbot.
Cool video, thanks. I've never heard of burbot, but if they are so localized, it's understandable.

I think that is the Keenleyslide dam that backs up Arrow Lake. The log rafts and mill are above the dam. I doubt that they take log rafts through the locks as the Columbia appears to be free flowing from the dam until the US border. The last sentence in this Wikipedia post about the dam says that there are locks that are free to recreational boaters. That's great, but where do you think you are you going, cowboy?

Look again. Zoom in on a satellite view. The mill is on the downstream side of dam. The log rafts are staged on the upstream side. I suppose it is beautiful running a boat up from there, of whatever size or kind you find a way of getting there to start with. Just don't ask anyone what that might be.

Back
Top Bottom