Chine Wings, Rolling Chocks, Passive Stabilization

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They are filled with water to add inertia down low and to the outside.

Thanks for sharing about these and for getting the pictures added. How do they fill with water, are there a couple open holes somewhere that allow water in and out? Is marine growth or collecting debris inside of them an issue?

I lifted the boat at Stones in Nanaimo. I think they were $8 K CAD.

Wow - that's really appealing. Thanks for the info. I wonder if there's anyone in SoCal who could do that work?

I have a friend that has Bayliner 4788. They worked great for him. I think Roy has done if I am not mistaken about a dozen on those vessels. The word has spread so much in the last couple years.

Knowing that the 4788 can plane, I'm curious what impact something like this has on speed, fuel burn, handling, etc. at planing speeds?

Roy puts in 4 small 3/16" holes; top and bottom, fore and aft. It takes about 2 hours to fill. I instead threaded SS screws in them and refilled them in the yard with fresh water. Rather than having to wait each lift. Roy says he has cut into some after for repairs and there has been no growth.

I am pretty sure that my friend actually gained speed with the greater planing surface and lift. He didn't fill his with water though. You would have to talk to Roy or other 4788 owners.

Knowing that the 4788 can plane, I'm curious what impact something like this has on speed, fuel burn, handling, etc. at planing speeds?

I'm gonna find out!

I searched and there was an extensive thread specifically naming Roy of Independant Shiprights in BC over on the BOC.

Very positive results on the 4788/490 Hull.

Chances are I'll be adding these when passing through the area next summer as I have been looking for a solution for a very long time.

He is about to retire. So best to call him 250 951-8137. He is just so slick at it because of how many he has done. Plus he has the molds to prefab them in the shop. I don't want to start a business, I just retired haha, but there is demand for these things. The art comes in positioning them against the hull and scribing them off. There are other fiberglassers available here in Nanaimo.

He is about to retire. So best to call him 250 951-8137. He is just so slick at it because of how many he has done. Plus he has the molds to prefab them in the shop. I don't want to start a business, I just retired haha, but there is demand for these things. The art comes in positioning them against the hull and scribing them off. There are other fiberglassers available here in Nanaimo.

I will call him to tomorrow. Thanks!

Don't know about the Bayliner. Roy told me that the speed is typically unaffected or could even be a little higher (because it traps the water under the aft hull.

On my AT34, which "planes" at about 17 knots, there was no measurable difference in speed at any rpm from 1000 to 3050. I do get a slight rooster tail from the aft tip of the chock at full throttle. This gets the dinghy a little wet, hanging there on davits. Not a problem, but a difference.

What they do would not be difficult for any competent fiberglass man to duplicate at one-off pricing. Roy has it down to a fine art and has kept the price very reasonable. On my 34, it was about US$4K, Roy and a helper started work at 8AM and were gone by 5:30PM same day. The finish is "workboat", not "yacht", you could pay for him to spend another day fairing but it will make no practical difference.

Some of the best money I've spent on the trawler.

I called Roy today and made arrangements to have a set put on my Bayliner 4788

As I pass through next June.

He is a great guy to talk to, very nice and very knowledgable.

I will have the boat hauled in Nanaimo and the work will take three days.

Last edited:
Good for you, I always wanted to put them on our last boat but didn’t want to have to get a NA to design them. But I did want to try it myself and see how hard it was to do.

Good for you, I always wanted to put them on our last boat but didn’t want to have to get a NA to design them. But I did want to try it myself and see how hard it was to do.

This was a pretty easy decision. I am starting an extended journey down the Pacific Coast as soon as the Pacific High builds in for spring. Anything I can do to break the persistent roll the 4788 hull exhibits will only add to my comfort.

I am used to being able to choose very protected anchorages where there is zero wave action. Those days are ending for my boat.

This was a pretty easy decision. I am starting an extended journey down the Pacific Coast as soon as the Pacific High builds in for spring. Anything I can do to break the persistent roll the 4788 hull exhibits will only add to my comfort.

I am used to being able to choose very protected anchorages where there is zero wave action. Those days are ending for my boat.

Very eager to hear your review once they are in. The cost & simplicity are very appealing compared to a Seakeeper, active stabilizers or paravanes. Interesting to see them right on the chine of a SD boat - our CHB has a similar hull form to Gray Pearl, with a much more pronounced keel relative to a 4788 or DDW's hull from what I can see of it. SoCal anchorages and passages are very exposed relative to PNW so eager how it does underway and also at anchor relative to (or in connection with) flop stoppers.

I have never been underway on a 4788 but I did patrol an Americas Cup race out of San Diego on a 4588. It certainly knew how to roll. One crew member was sitting in the salon in one of the armchairs and was launched across the salon with the chair. I saw it happen but it was so quick I didn’t even get moving to help before it was over. If the 4788 acts like a 4588 then these bilge keels will be worth every penny you pay for them. Good luck.

Put on a set of "Chine Wings" on the Grey Pearl ( '78 OA 50 Mk 1) this past summer. I didn't think they would work on these shallow hulls but they are a game changer.

Hi GP, I like the idea, anything to slow the beam roll.

I can see your OA has quite a deep keel but how does this addition to the chine width effect the aft sling during a Travel Lift haul out? Are the wings strong enough to absorb the lifting pressures ok?
I’d be keen to see a video of the install process.

The wings are strong enough. He has put on so many he knows by experience how much glass to put in them. The structure is very strong. As an ex fisherman I would have made them heavier. But these pleasure boats are light in comparison.

Stern View

Attachments

• IMG_1837.jpg
    IMG_1837.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 201
Side View

Attachments

• IMG_1838.jpg
    IMG_1838.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 194
What is the core? Or are they hollow?

Weird day today. I read the title as China wings and Rolling Rocks. :D

A side issue.....Where do you put the slings of a Travel Lift once these are installed? Are these wings strong enough to bear the weight of the boat in the slings? Or do you haul out on a trailer?

They are hollow. Mine are filled with water to add to the dampening inertia.

A side issue.....Where do you put the slings of a Travel Lift once these are installed? Are these wings strong enough to bear the weight of the boat in the slings? Or do you haul out on a trailer?

There is no issue *at all* with slings. Sling it where ever you want. It actually makes the boat a little stronger in that regard. On a chine boat with any kind of keel, the slings make a direct line from the keel to the chine to the spreader bar. I.e., all of the lifting force you will ever see is already on the point of the chine. The chocks are quite robust and well tabbed full length (they are hollow). I cut holes in mine as I mentioned before, the fiberglass was about 1/2" thick - about the same as the hull (which I have also cut holes in).

The rolling chocks make a smallish difference at anchor, to me it is noticeable but not dramatic. When hit with a wake it will roll about as far but dampen out in about 1/2 the cycles.

The best way to describe the difference they make, quoting Roy, "they will take the snap out of the roll". That just about describes it.

Here is the piece removed. They are not fragile:

93Oj9sd.jpg

No difference. I attached a couple images a few posts ago.

The PO of Due West had Roy add these several years ago. Although I can’t compare to before install the PO said it was a complete game changer and he actually saw an increase in top speed but no change to cruising speed.
In certain head seas they do trap air under them and slam a bit but that’s likely not a problem on a bigger boat as the front of the wings would be farther back form the bow.
As far as lifting with Travel lift it’s not an issue. The yard guys call them “bat wings” and lift as norma and say they are are extremely strong and don’t pose any issue at all.
Our old boat, Mosy, was a a 28’ round bilge hill that was an VERY enthusiastic roller; the fellow we sold to,had Roy put a set on her and said it was like a different boat all together.

The wings are strong enough. He has put on so many he knows by experience how much glass to put in them. The structure is very strong. As an ex fisherman I would have made them heavier. But these pleasure boats are light in comparison.

Thanks for posting the pics, I think the end result looks great.
I would think if you ever managed to run aground, the tide goes out and leaves the boat heeling over, they would be an asset to lessen the lean, if the ground was firm enough, and reduce the chance of flooding from an incoming tide. Not quite full bilge keels, but a compromise if things got to that stage.

Yes they would help for sure. No more need for shipyards for me haha : )

Does it affect fuel economy if there is such a thing, and how do you put the strap under them when you haul the boat? Thanks

Does it affect fuel economy if there is such a thing, and how do you put the strap under them when you haul the boat? Thanks

I know it's a longish thread but this has been asked and answered several times above. Rather than repeat the answers once again, I'll suggest going back and reading the responses already posted.

Back
Top Bottom