CHB trawler construction sites

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Al

Guru
Vessel Name
'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Make
1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler(extended to 30 feet) Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Greetings:flowers:- Often as I look at boats for sale, looking for sure, the perfect boat, I am drawn to the 34 foot CHB I have done extensive reading on these boats and have drawn conclusions based on walking through numerous boats on the market or viewing the photos, making visual inspections .
Are there any on the forum who could offer with written remarks and similar concerns and observations of equally interested souls on these boats. Here is my observation (Not by any brand names from China. if you were to ask. I don't retain the manufacture name, only the condition of the boat being inspected Were that to come up. Chung Wa, seems to be one, Clipper another, and then other Chinese name yards.
Observations:
Those with teak decks will leak. The fuel tanks (Steel) will have run their life and suffer water leaks, soft cores between the teak deck laymen and the undercarriage material, and affect the fuel ports as rigidity fails and the fuel deck plates shift in the teak which also shifts as the teak is screwed directly into the material under the teak . Those with wood window frames will leak between the outer fiberglass and the interior walls will become water logged and rot from the inside, causing huge water stains below the windows. There are inferior fixes of which the positive outcome is total replacement of the wood windows with aluminum frames sealing the window openings with some sort of preventive membrane material. and replacing the teak with fiberglass overlay. Other substitute materials seem to suffer to one degree or another.
In some cases, the engine beds while incased in fiberglass, will have internal rot.

All of these flaws can be contributed to age and where the boat was and how, constructed.
What I am seeing lately is CHB's that reside in Australia and New Zealand seemingly having solid fiberglass decks, and aluminum windows from These CHB's seem to have been constructed between 1983 and 1985 +-. The question begged : Are these later boats manufactured in yards not associated with the initial China yards say from 1972 through 1982 which seemingly suffer these ills. (Please, if somebody has better fix on construction periods, jump inThere are rare sightings on the classified ads of these prepared models across both sid.e of the country

In my opinion the 'Clipper' 34' model fits a special mode for consideration as the two main issues, decks and windows have been addressed. As I view advertisements, this is the model I look for.
Is there some dispute out there that might generate conversations to shed light on this really comfortable family orientated affordable trawler model??
Thanks
Al Johnson-Ketchikan, Alaska.

If I understand correctly, I believe you are asking whether there are some CHB-class builders/brands that are more reliable than others? I don’t have any direct knowledge on that question.

You have laid out a good list of things that CAN go wrong on a CHB, but I will say that’s not always the case. I have a 1984 Ponderosa 35 Sundeck, and it has teak decks that don’t leak, steel tanks that are far from rusted, and side windows that may not stand up to a gale, but definitely haven’t stained the interior woodwork up to this point. So either some are built better than others, some are cared for better than others, or some just haven’t had to face truly trying conditions.

There are lots of Taiwan Trawlers out there. They have several names, it seems they shared the molds and most hulls have distinct similarities. Albin is one you can add to your list.

You are actively seeking a boat type (CHB 34) then you go on to list all their faults. Nowhere in your O.P. do you list the attributes of the CHBs and their sisters, there are many. Joinery, thick bullet proof hulls, Ford Lehman power in many, etc.

If all you can see is the faults , why not look at other makes and models? I love my T.T. and see both sides of the coin and would buy another.

pete

Schrater - I think that you hit on what is the big difference between one CHB and another. It is how it has been cared for. We are talking about a 40 year old boat. If it has been left out in the weather to rot you will see leaks, weathered wood, rusted tanks, etc. If the PO's have cared for the boat the problems that you hear about aren't an issue.

What I am seeing lately is CHB's that reside in Australia and New Zealand seemingly having solid fiberglass decks, and aluminum windows from These CHB's seem to have been constructed between 1983 and 1985 +-. The question begged : Are these later boats manufactured in yards not associated with the initial China yards say from 1972 through 1982 which seemingly suffer these ills.

I would be very surprised if Chung Hwa's built between 1983 and 1985+ were any different than the pre-1983 boats. If they don't have teak and aren't balsa cored, an owner must have addressed the issue and I doubt if they are solid fiberglass. If they have aluminum window frames, the owner must have the wood frames replaced. If the fuel tanks are anything other than black iron, they have been replaced.

If you or previous owners keep the CHB in a boat shed over the years, you most likely will not have issues with the decks, windows or fuel tanks. However, the electrical wiring won't meet todays standards unless it too has been replaced.

We have a 1988 CHB Present Sundeck, purchased 1.5 yrs ago. Never had teak decks, steel tanks are rust free and in great shape. A few years (1984 vs 1988) seems to make a big difference re teak decks on CHB's. Very pleased with the construction of our boat - only exposed teak is handrails, stainless portholes all around, interior teak is beautiful, including floors...
Good luck on your search.

The CHBs were Taiwan built vessels, not Chinese, at least not mainland China.
There were problems from the way they were built. One hull farmed out to several different finishers for the rest of the boat with the resulting quality variations.
The tanks rusting out however that was often caused by lack of vessel mtce. or a dirty load of fuel that was not dealt with. Not just dirt but the water that accompanied it and entering the tanks.

I have known a few people with them and they have redone the decks by removing the teak and repairing the deck with new plywood and fiberglass.

The tanks in several were dealt with before they rusted out. Full cleaning by
cutting ports in the tanks and sealing the deck fills properly. Steel tanks can last far longer than these have if the owners paid more attention to the problems mentioned and removing and controlling/eliminating those sources of water.

So yes the boats can have troubles. Yet they have lasted 40-50 years and often by looking around you can find those that were properly repaired and maintained and those can be a very good purchase.

I wonder if the Australian market developed later than the N.A. market and the builders were beginning to up the ante on the Q.C. end of things plus a drier climate. That may account for fewer problems especially the drier climate.

You need a good knowledgeable surveyor in the Taiwanese built boats. You will have to ask around but they are out there.

Odd you ask now as there is an article about exactly this issue in the current Pacific Yachting. Try looking it up or getting an issue.

I think I managed to upload the article. Nope will have to break it up if I can.

Nope again. PM me and I will email it to you, or at least try. It's apparently about 27MB

Last edited:
There are lots of Taiwan Trawlers out there. They have several names, it seems they shared the molds and most hulls have distinct similarities. Albin is one you can add to your list.

You are actively seeking a boat type (CHB 34) then you go on to list all their faults. Nowhere in your O.P. do you list the attributes of the CHBs and their sisters, there are many. Joinery, thick bullet proof hulls, Ford Lehman power in many, etc.

If all you can see is the faults , why not look at other makes and models? I love my T.T. and see both sides of the coin and would buy another.

pete

:flowers:Please Pete, calm down, I am aware of all the good attributes you have listed, it is noted your pleasure of ownership, reason enough to spend the time to fined one without the flaws I indicated.
In MHOP, these boats represent one of the better craft for young boating families as well all boaters.
I am hoping to hear from one of the forum Aussie/NZ owners or some familar with the existance of the models with fiberglass decks, aluminum windows as though they were acquired from the factory in that model. Again, it seems in the 83-85 build year, (This is just a grab on the dates)
Al

The CHBs were Taiwan built vessels, not Chinese, at least not mainland China.
There were problems from the way they were built. One hull farmed out to several different finishers for the rest of the boat with the resulting quality variations.
The tanks rusting out however that was often caused by lack of vessel mtce. or a dirty load of fuel that was not dealt with. Not just dirt but the water that accompanied it and entering the tanks.

I have known a few people with them and they have redone the decks by removing the teak and repairing the deck with new plywood and fiberglass.

The tanks in several were dealt with before they rusted out. Full cleaning by
cutting ports in the tanks and sealing the deck fills properly. Steel tanks can last far longer than these have if the owners paid more attention to the problems mentioned and removing and controlling/eliminating those sources of water.

So yes the boats can have troubles. Yet they have lasted 40-50 years and often by looking around you can find those that were properly repaired and maintained and those can be a very good purchase.

I wonder if the Australian market developed later than the N.A. market and the builders were beginning to up the ante on the Q.C. end of things plus a drier climate. That may account for fewer problems especially the drier climate.

You need a good knowledgeable surveyor in the Taiwanese built boats. You will have to ask around but they are out there.

Odd you ask now as there is an article about exactly this issue in the current Pacific Yachting. Try looking it up or getting an issue.

I think I managed to upload the article. Nope will have to break it up if I can.

Nope again. PM me and I will email it to you, or at least try. It's apparently about 27MB

PM on its way-Thanks, :flowers:

If I understand correctly, I believe you are asking whether there are some CHB-class builders/brands that are more reliable than others? I don’t have any direct knowledge on that question.

You have laid out a good list of things that CAN go wrong on a CHB, but I will say that’s not always the case. I have a 1984 Ponderosa 35 Sundeck, and it has teak decks that don’t leak, steel tanks that are far from rusted, and side windows that may not stand up to a gale, but definitely haven’t stained the interior woodwork up to this point. So either some are built better than others, some are cared for better than others, or some just haven’t had to face truly trying conditions.

:rofl::socool: And some obviously are Boat House kept:D:lol:

Ours was not 'boat house kept', but was owned by the same family for 25 yrs and was well maintained. The second owner basically used it as a condo for four years, and did little maintenance, but I have caught up on that. Now gradually upgrading the electronics......

Ours was not 'boat house kept', but was owned by the same family for 25 yrs and was well maintained. The second owner basically used it as a condo for four years, and did little maintenance, but I have caught up on that. Now gradually upgrading the electronics......

FoxtrotCharlie. The model in discussion is the 34 foot aft cabin or Europa. Larger models don't seem to have the noted deficiencies. few have teak decks or if they do, one doesn't read much about it,;)

Ok, not sure when those 34's were made. Present used CHB to mfg most of their models, and stopped mfg in 1989, so our 1988 must have been one of the last Presents. Again, good luck on the search.

I have a 1978 34 foot CHB double cabin. Previous boat was a 43 Albin similar vintage.
Albin had teak decks that needed replacement and tanks were still good. Great boat, sorry I sold it.
The CHB handles well and the previous owner removed the teak decks and redid all the interior wood and fixed leaking windows. Sorry to say he passed before finishing his project but I have picked up the gaunlet and am carrying on installing new electronics, air conditioning ice maker invertor ect. It is single engine Lehman and is easy to run with one person. Bit small for long passage making but great for two people.
Just a note on stength of theses boats, the owner of my Albin ran it head first into a concrete wall at 7 knots. It is still floating and repaired the minor fiberglass damage on the bow, built tough. Worth fixing these boats.

Ok, not sure when those 34's were made. Present used CHB to mfg most of their models, and stopped mfg in 1989, so our 1988 must have been one of the last Presents. Again, good luck on the search.

If your avatar represents your CHB, then we are talking apples and oranges.
But thanks - Al

I am hoping to hear from one of the forum Aussie/NZ owners or some familar with the existance of the models with fiberglass decks, aluminum windows as though they were acquired from the factory in that model. Again, it seems in the 83-85 build year, (This is just a grab on the dates)
Al

Hi Al

I owned a 1985, Mark 3 Clipper 34 (CHB), this version was regarded as favourable as they had a solid GRP wheelhouse and factory alloy window frames, both potential weak points with the previous Mark 1's and 2's.
The boats were originally imported into this country to work in a big hire fleet in the Hawkesbury River, north of Sydney, and sold off into the community when the fleet was being upgraded etc.
These became a much loved boat, classic lines, plenty of internal space in this era, economical to run and reasonable sea going ability.
I've not seen one without the standard teak/composite decks, unless retro fitted.
The Taiwan yards were often visited by Aus buyers wanting custom changes to the builds, my current Sea Ranger's original owner made visits to the King yard requiring changes to the standard arrangement.
I certainly agree with many of the previous comments, every boat from this era can be very different regarding condition, you cannot generalise, judge each boat on its own merit.
Good luck with the search,

Back
Top Bottom