Cayenne pepper in bottom paint?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As my signature states...

Okay; that discussion stopped being entertaining.

Really? :popcorn:

Ok just joking!

Guys just relax it is just an open discussion. Personnal attacks will not help on the subject and will just result in word fight.
What I would like to see is someone who tried it in a correct experiment and can testimony with facts, working or not. For now I would be encline to think it is not.

:flowers:

What I don't get is where some jump on their high horse and belittle others. Can anyone present evidence that adding cayenne pepper to somebody else's bottom paint cause any damage real or imagined to you or your boat? If not make your point and move on.

22+ years in the hull cleaning industry
30,000 hulls cleaned
Board member- California Professional Divers Association
Consultant in Interlux anti fouling paint trials
Testified before the State Senate regarding anti fouling paint legislation
Co-authored an amendment to that legislation
Trained over 200 hull cleaners, harbor staff, LEOs and water quality policy makers in state-approved in-water hull cleaning Best Management Practices

I know some of you have a real hard-on for a diver who tries to tell you what's what regarding anti fouling paint. But I have spent most of my professional life educating myself on this topic and when I tell you that cayenne pepper is a wive's tale, you can take that to the bank.

Your credentials for your profession are impressive and all of your previous advice on here has been well accepted, but that's not what I was questioning. It was your claim that "It is only effective on animals that eat it or somehow otherwise get the capsasin onto sensitive body parts, like eyes", hence the question about being a biologist. And, then your statement "It's ridiculous to assume that the anti fouling paint manufacturers, who tend to be mutli-national, multi-billion dollar corporations and have poured decades and hundreds of millions of dollars into anti fouling paint R&D, would have failed to test what some here would have you believe is an effective, relatively cheap ingredient like cayenne pepper", hence the paint research scientist question.

And for what's it's worth, I agree with you, but I would never put it in the same words as you did.

Well, that statement is pretty rude itself. Sometimes it takes a bit of what some might think of as rude to get people's attention. The whole idea of putting pepper in bottom paint is stupid and it's been discussed far too many times. The conclusion is always the same; it's a stupid idea.

Now, you cap it all off by insulting Americans. What do you think that's going to get you? Sympathy?

It was meant to be rude. Why would I be looking for sympathy? Nobody has been rude to me.

As for the American statement, do you think it was incorrect?

Next time you paint your bottom paint one rudder with paint with pepper in it and one without pepper using the same paint.

Then have the diver take pictures every month or so.

This guy's boat lives in very cold freshwater. I guarantee fouling is not an issue for him. I'd be willing to bet his hull cleaning happens when he hauls for paint.

Okay, allow me to set the record straight about whether cayenne pepper works on bottoms or not.

Having used cayenne pepper, along with dozens of other chili peppers, in countless recipes I can tell you from over 40 years of eating cayenne pepper it, positively, absolutely, beyond a shadow of a doubt has an affect on your bottom.

Just Sayin' :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Okay, allow me to set the record straight about whether cayenne pepper works on bottoms or not.

Having used cayenne pepper, along with dozens of other chili peppers, in countless recipes I can tell you from over 40 years of eating cayenne pepper it, positively, absolutely, beyond a shadow of a doubt has an affect on your bottom.

Just Sayin' :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

LOL! :rofl:

fstbttms...no modesty in your signature.

If you do not want to associate with Americans then don't. In all likelihood you may fit better with some of the others that threatened to search elsewhere for their futures. One person will not be missed. Apparently it has been good for you to this point so drop your case and let others freely express their opinions without going 7th grade.

Deep breath for all? :thumb:

I would hate to lose more contributors to this forum that actually have real experience out there in the commercial BOATING world....not saying they are always correct or always nice...but info is still info.... sift and tolerate is the best we can do sometimes.....

Please don't make me bring this bad boy back and his ilks... :eek:

Attachments

• th.jpg
    th.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
May someone close this thread before there is a nuclear strike on TF please, or worse a cayenne pepper loaded bombing!

This guy's boat lives in very cold freshwater. I guarantee fouling is not an issue for him. I'd be willing to bet his hull cleaning happens when he hauls for paint.

I think you're right.

But it would still make for an entertaining test. :D

OK, you guys can calm down, or this thread can be closed. Your choice. :) Differing opinions are OK. Getting down and dirty is not. So let's see how that goes . . .

22+ years in the hull cleaning industry
30,000 hulls cleaned
Board member- California Professional Divers Association
Consultant in Interlux anti fouling paint trials
Testified before the State Senate regarding anti fouling paint legislation
Co-authored an amendment to that legislation
Trained over 200 hull cleaners, harbor staff, LEOs and water quality policy makers in state-approved in-water hull cleaning Best Management Practices

I know some of you have a real hard-on for a diver who tries to tell you what's what regarding anti fouling paint. But I have spent most of my professional life educating myself on this topic and when I tell you that cayenne pepper is a wive's tale, you can take that to the bank.

I'd say that more than qualifies him as an expert. And for the sake of all of us here... We NEED experts like him on this forum!

So... if you think pepper somehow reduces growth, fine. Go ahead and enjoy whatever results you get from it, but there is no need to argue about it and CERTAINLY no reason to insult our experts about it... or throw out unsubstantiated claims about someone's country of origin. Just use it and nobody will stop you.

Thank you for your contributions to this forum. May I ask what kind of anchor you use? :)

I am using the best one and mine is bigger than yours! Loll :rofl:

But what if you're anchoring in grass while smoking grass? That's a fluke failure. Can we goto the video?

But what if you're anchoring in grass while smoking grass? That's a fluke failure. Can we goto the video?

Come on this would never occured, I would harvest grass first than anchoring, if not this would be wasting! :angel:

Have you guys all got cabin fever over there? A very peculiar thread.

Yeah, they've all been sniffing cayenne pepper Andy. :D

There is no topping this response, is there?:thumb: Cabin fever? Sure beginning to be the case. Watch other threads for confirmation.:popcorn:

Al-Ketchikan

Time for some real evidence.

Experts are currently conducting scientific tests on cayenne pepper and other spices to see how it affects marine life. Initial results are encouraging.

Attachments

• 166a - Bubble Troubles (181).jpg
    166a - Bubble Troubles (181).jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 54
OK, WTH, for the fun of it I'm going to paint a price of fiberglass board I have laying around with the same brand of bottom paint.

One half with a healthy dose of Cayenne pepper, and the other half without any added pepper and hang it off the dock.

Between the two paints will be a blank strip of board with no paint on it.

Stay tuned. :D

A number of years ago we built some glass bottomed boats, and applied vaseline and peppers to the glass to stop growth and it worked. We used lots of peppers and the vaseline became translucent in the water. This was in Bermuda were I lived previuosly. Well known for growth, Barnacles and grass.

A number of years ago Interlux (Akzo) worked in conjunction with McCormick the spice manufacturer, in an attempt at developing pepper additives to aid bottom paint. It was a failure.

They got pepper so hot guys were burning their fingers in the lab but still, even at that level, it was not worth adding to the bottom paints. I also recall my Pettit rep telling me they had done similar testing.

IIRC Practical Sailor also found it did not work. I was willing enough to try it on my work skiff about 20 years ago and all I got was a rougher bottom on the pepper side. I painted port without and starboard with cayenne (hottest I could find) pepper. At the end of the year I had about 12 barnacles on the starboard side and 4 on port and equal amounts of soft growth.. I did nothing...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom