Carpets in boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Do you like carpet in a boat salon

• Heck NO

Votes: 18 32.7%
  • Maybe but would change it out at some time.

Votes: 9 16.4%
  • Could go either way, don't care.

Votes: 5 9.1%
  • Love it, and would put it in when the old wears out.

Votes: 23 41.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Have carpet. They're OK except from foot smudges resulting from diesel ash on the exterior resulting from the boat's trans-Pacific voyage on a ship.

Carpet is MUCH less slippery than wood flooring, especially if you add the least amount of water or cooking fats...

I liked having a short tight nap carpet in the salon, which was right over the engine rooms containing two 8v92 Detroits. I think what kind of carpet you get is very important; good ones are easy to clean and excellent non-skid, which was what I really liked about it. We added some accent throw rug to spice things up. The same carpet was in the companion way and the staterooms. Galley was some sort of linoleum which we considered changing out to some sort of teak, but never got around to.

wLS25SCnigFgusMxuW0PUM_hIq3EjCOl_VZzHnoNlMMEqPfEWM8yO4JyyrcV3sf2atDH1QvUtVYRjtfSclPXwfSIvUhCcx5f02Mj7G-PoWAJ4zh4Ywz5Xn5J4vOach73C_nVr2ZTvCytq0-ctIYW1DAkXIdVFIgfd0ws07AKQ1BqrGI90lB9zZmGF2vISVMfBUjVFjR8QAqITaavHzinFRw6U6GjW9SDUExcmqasKrwdqqBnN5Foo58LdbenVHaSQoQq1CwyjkOvRxCFnEUlkeeu1YjLe_qCh9sAQmo_BtEwQrauHx5fojl1WpY8ZQcA_n4WYJYF6KD5GxdFuEnVqjFidpi6uNmNkzQp07Yqd7M4c1bHnWMqJhQbm1agDGW2l14y4X5Sx5wD-YB2nI3tWVdkHxTWOBLhVYgPBowZoTyVe3diQwg9lJq15Y9NwYCAiZT43QtUfXL-hdUOl86uL4TBWz0aFYPa5GHQHk7iIbNSyC0yph9XL0FFmzUSSB67W7UipHnl7BADuv0xymptCETLuu2WEZtZkaJOPaGOlXHvf34sAhx-FFMZuiEnlLOjylLdL_IVe_ASiyJ33ORKA5L_eaFvBcyJ-jqB5LAsTuyAvsliBFfsI9qZyUSmE6TCPNOgtO9Ka93iio2eagTPfmYIbrMt_oQF0y_qF1IDvPWyL3OtJaJhkz3jjZAR=w1304-h872-no

When we purchased I was in the anti-carpet camp. Our house has no carpet at all, only hardwood. However, removing it wasn't on the top of our list. After the first season I discovered that overall I liked the carpet. We removed it from the heads of course, replaced it with Lonseal teak and holly. The one place I'm still not enthusiastic about carpet is on the stairs, I find I slip on it. I'd rather have solid treads with anti-skids.

Our 51yo boat has 35yo(!!) high-end wool carpet in saloon and staterooms. The staterooms are cut to fit; the saloon is wall-to-wall with pad. The galley and heads are teak parquet (an 80s' upgrade from the original VCT tiles like in a 60s' classroom). We originally thought we'd remove all the carpet and put in more teak parquet, which we love, but we've grown to like the carpet. It muffles the engine and generator noise, is warm on bare feet in cold temps, and not slippery when wet in water-play season. It's easy to clean: remove and hose the stateroom pieces, and shampoo the saloon every couple of years. While the saloon carpet isn't pristine (and I hate to think what's under there), it's sand-beige is a neutral background. We couldn't find new carpeting that even comes close to the quality of the existing.

In contrast, our 50yo sistership has laminate flooring which we detest. It's slippery (so we lay towels on the floor for wet feet), noisy, and needs frequent sweeping for sand and grit.

So, my vote is for quality carpet, cut-to-fit if sizes are manageable to pull out to hose and dry on the dock. Good luck!

Our 51yo boat has 35yo(!!) high-end wool carpet in saloon and staterooms. The staterooms are cut to fit; the saloon is wall-to-wall with pad. The galley and heads are teak parquet (an 80s' upgrade from the original VCT tiles like in a 60s' classroom). We originally thought we'd remove all the carpet and put in more teak parquet, which we love, but we've grown to like the carpet. It muffles the engine and generator noise, is warm on bare feet in cold temps, and not slippery when wet in water-play season. It's easy to clean: remove and hose the stateroom pieces, and shampoo the saloon every couple of years. While the saloon carpet isn't pristine (and I hate to think what's under there), it's sand-beige is a neutral background. We couldn't find new carpeting that even comes close to the quality of the existing.

In contrast, our 50yo sistership has laminate flooring which we detest. It's slippery (so we lay towels on the floor for wet feet), noisy, and needs frequent sweeping for sand and grit.

So, my vote is for quality carpet, cut-to-fit if sizes are manageable to pull out to hose and dry on the dock. Good luck!

You make a convincing argument to reconsider carpet.... need to think about it.

Questions: If you compared a high quality non slip vinyl, properly insulated to a high quality carpet.... both installed correctly would you still lean toward the carpet?

Yes, the carpet is warmer, feels better and has better sound insulation. BUT, carpet is HARD to clean compared to vinyl. Carpet holds stains, gets embedded dirt you just can't get out and probably lasts 1/3 the life of vinyl. I see this in houses and boats (and planes too, but keeping the carpet there).

I'm replacing my last carpeted home with vinyl as we speak. Carpet in a home seems to last about 7 to 10 years at best. (rentals and my personal homes). Tile forever and guessing that vinyl will go 25+ years (hasn't been out that long).

Not sure what I'll do, but ya have me thinking.....

Wifey B: Above I read from psneeld:

Really depends on how you use a boat....

Like a living room at home?

Or a hunting cabin?

It's really no different to us than our land home. We don't track dirt and water and grease and grime any more than at home.

Carpet is comfy. That's why we love it in bedrooms.

Now to salon, we have lots of wood outside the salon to walk on so makes a nice change. More wood would just be too much. As to tile, sorry, too slick. With water around it's going to get slippery. I'm tempted to carpet our patio :rofl: I just like carpet, the feel, the comfort, the safety. As to keeping it clean, I don't find it any more effort than tile, in fact perhaps less. I'm talking to same level of clean. I'm talking not having smudges and marks on the tile. I'm talking keeping tile like a nice home, not a hunting cabin.

If I had tile, I would have rugs and carpet runners on every part of it that I walked on. :confused:

Or a hunting cabin?

It's really no different to us than our land home. We don't track dirt and water and grease and grime any more than at home.

Now to salon, we have lots of wood outside the salon to walk on so makes a nice change. More wood would just be too much. As to tile, sorry, too slick. With water around it's going to get slippery. I'm tempted to carpet our patio :rofl: I just like carpet, the feel, the comfort, the safety. As to keeping it clean, I don't find it any more effort than tile, in fact perhaps less. I'm talking to same level of clean. I'm talking not having smudges and marks on the tile. I'm talking keeping tile like a nice home, not a hunting cabin.

If I had tile, I would have rugs and carpet runners on every part of it that I walked on. :confused:

You make my point exactly....

Would you plop down gear full of deer blood or fish guts on a carpet and expect it to be livable after a couple weeks? Plus all the stuff from an engine room below that gets passed up and the sweaty, dirty tech that climbs out...all while the crew is trying to live around the hole in the salon floor while going about daily route (read not easy to plastic and cardboard up like many service yards do.

Sure I had a boat I fished pretty hard with carpet and kids and not so careful friends...It was a PIA.

Soo it's not JUST abut comfort...its about how your boat gets treated.

I for one don't like places where you ALWAYS have to leave your shoes at the door...on land or afloat...

But I too love carpet in the right places.

So my usual answer to generic forum questions...it just depends.

Last edited:
use commercial carpet tiles - if you wreck one by spilling or staining, just swap it out.
Also, very DIY just need a knife and straight edge to install.

be sure to use tiles with plastic or rubber backing.

The original question was about the salon. In most boats that is also where you eat your meals... While I'm sure that there are exceptions I can't recall very many kitchen or dining room tables sitting on wall to wall carpet.

Questions: If you compared a high quality non slip vinyl, properly insulated to a high quality carpet.... both installed correctly would you still lean toward the carpet?.

Yes, I think I'd still choose carpet, and preferably wool as it handles the moisture, cleans, and wears well. My next preference would be teak. Marmoleum would be another consideration. If vinyl was there, or our chosen option for a new install, I'd make sure it was soft underfoot and non-slip, and use area rugs in the high-traffic areas. Good luck!

I have a high quality cut-to-fit and serged nylon Berber carpet on a 1/2 in thick Soundown acoustic carpet pad/underlayment with soft 'oriental' rugs on top. It's a very soft feel underfoot and cleans and lifts easily to access the hatches for oil changes or bigger maintenance. It's also water friendly to wet feet or towels...or the occasional drink spill. :hide:

We greatly enjoy... top quality Berber carpet throughout the interior; except in the heads... thick, plush sound deadener underlayment in salon [can barely hear the twin gassers at idle and at medium speed planing 16 to 17 knots [just before secondaries open up] conversation is easy at normal level. Also in salon we have a bordered area rug that over overlays primary walking/sitting areas and small runner in galley. In master state room a longer runner overlays the Berber.

Wears super well, cleans easily, gentle on feet. In salon, helps retain heater induced room temp when ambient air is cool ... as well as great at keeping engine warmth from heating the floor when ambient air is hot.

Our boat was built with beautiful teak floors throughout. PO had put carpet in the aft stateroom, and it was a bit worn. We pulled it up, only to discover a floor repair from old leak - plywood in about a 2 sq ft area. So we went back with serged Berber carpet - there only. Feels great on bare feet. Had much left over (center queen bed), so had rugs serged and made for saloon and for landing at bottom of steps into the aft stateroom.

My semi-custom boat comes standard with carpet in the salon, staterooms, etc, and with teak and holly elsewhere. The standard flooring under the carpet is not teak and holly. I spec'd teak and holly everywhere, but also wanted the carpet in most places (no carpet in the galley or lower helm or head compartments, just teak and holly). Except on the three sets of stairs, the carpet can be easily removed and replaced. I expected to remove the carpet periodically for a change of scenery, etc., but we have never removed it and probably never will.

Carpet? Not just NO! Rugs however, yes with a gripper underneath. I'm in the process of of ripping ALL of my carpet out & installing hardwood (Cherry & American Chestnut) floors throughout.

Carpet? Not just NO! Rugs however, yes with a gripper underneath. I'm in the process of of ripping ALL of my carpet out & installing hardwood (Cherry & American Chestnut) floors throughout.

Progressive: Beginning, during and completion photos... would be great!

Or a hunting cabin?

Mmm, what about the "carpet burns"?:eek:
Even so, Australia and New Zealand being big wool producers applaud using wool carpets.

My Willard 36 had blue deep pile carpeting when purchased. Early project was to remove and install teak parquet. Sure, carpet provides more sound deadening but to my eyes, is out of place on a boat, especially a traditional design like the Willard. We do use throw rugs with snaps in the corners and Non-skid pad.

BTW - I recently tried to find teak parquet to re-floor due to reconfigured stateroom. Very difficult to source these days. At suggestion of someone on this forum I found 50sf on Craigslist.

Mmm, what about the "carpet burns"?:eek:
Even so, Australia and New Zealand being big wool producers applaud using wool carpets.

Wifey B: I'm aware of the risk of carpet burns so always make sure to use something on the floor to protect us if doing anything that risks carpet burns. :D

Hate to tell you this part though.....:hide::hide::hide: but wool is not my preferred carpet material. Hubby's allergic to wool so not the best choice especially if doing the things you alluded to in part one. :hide::hide::hide:

........Hate to tell you this part though.....:hide::hide::hide: but wool is not my preferred carpet material. Hubby's allergic to wool so not the best choice especially if doing the things you alluded to in part one. :hide::hide::hide:

We have wool, nice feel to it, but....the fluff/dust which settles on all horizontal surfaces is annoying, next time synthetic.
Also have a membrane material, the type used in engine room sound insulation between foam layers, underneath the carpet underlay. This really quietens down the engine noise

Back
Top Bottom