Closed Thread

Old 09-23-2020, 10:43 AM   #1
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Canadian Derilicts

I see Canadians have the same issue as the U.S. At least the Canadians are doing something about it. Good Luck.

I love the ending of the video!!!

https://globalnews.ca/video/rd/11786...3/?jwsource=cl

Old 09-23-2020, 11:35 AM   #2
Guru

City: St Augustine,Fl
yup those Canadians have all the answers...

Old 09-23-2020, 11:46 AM   #3
Guru

It took the city of San Diego over twenty years and millions of taxpayer dollars to rid their "free anchorage" of derelict and sunken boats. Now the "free anchorage" is limited to outside the bay, with strict rules to follow.
Old 09-23-2020, 11:57 AM   #4
Guru

City: AICW
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Not a great solution in San Diegos case...but if the one news report was correct that the Canadian Supreme court ruled that towns can govern waterways (of course more info is needed)...that could be an ugly decision for mariners transiting up north.....

Of course it may be a part of the Northwest Passage issue....
Old 09-23-2020, 01:45 PM   #5
Guru

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Not a great solution in San Diegos case...but if the one news report was correct that the Canadian Supreme court ruled that towns can govern waterways (of course more info is needed)...that could be an ugly decision for mariners transiting up north.....

Of course it may be a part of the Northwest Passage issue....
What could go wrong?......The Canadians have it all figured out
Old 09-23-2020, 02:26 PM   #6
Guru

City: Nanaimo
Vessel Name: Pilitak
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor of Fortune View Post
Although you are certainly entitled to your opinions, and I am sorry for whatever happened to you to cause your dislike of Canadians, but your comments don't help international relations??
Old 09-23-2020, 02:41 PM   #7
Guru

City: Scottsboro, Al.
Vessel Name: Hi-D-Ho
Vessel Model: 1987 Krogen Manatee
But when your #1 you have to expect it. It’s not easy being perfect.
Old 09-23-2020, 03:00 PM   #8
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
So. How this works is that municipalities can lease water lots and regulate them. Unlike in the states, this was not a widespread practice in BC.

Cities would like a say in what goes on and directly impacts their waterfront. They welcome responsible boaters, but had no tools to deal with what are effectively floating tent-cities.

As a member of the waterfront committee, I advocated this to our city quite a few years ago when a wreck of a boat decided to anchor off of our main beach in town and dinghy in to wreck the washrooms on a regular basis. Summer tourists and campers could watch naked people get drunk and yell obscenities on their wreck of an old fishboat covered with blue tarps at one of the prime locations to watch a sunset.

Luckily is it a lousy anchorage and the fall winds took care of it. Boat was found up at twin islands on the rocks.

This is a good thing.

Unless you are a homeless drug using miscreant.
Old 09-23-2020, 03:19 PM   #9
Guru

City: AICW
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Having gone through this as a boater , a Coastie and a local resident...I can see a lot of angles.

Florida went through this and elected to step up and take much of the say so away from local governments because it became too confusing when towns obviously over stepped the intention of removing undesirables.

What clearly has worked in my mindis the Florida plan... federal navigation rights trump all (derelicts and navigation laws rarely have the same needs).....the state keeps towns from eliminating all vessels from most areas that really never needed regulation ( governments were being influenced by the rich and unreasonable)....and the towns if they wanted organized boating/waterfronts...they could propose a plan to the state and put in large mooring fields that could regulate vessels after probation periods and final approval.
Old 09-23-2020, 03:32 PM   #10
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Quote:
yup those Canadians have all the answers...
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiDHo View Post
But when your #1 you have to expect it. It’s not easy being perfect.
What's going on here on TF today?

Did I miss some sort of Canadian led affront to your national pride in the OP's linked news piece?
Old 09-23-2020, 03:36 PM   #11
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
..but if the one news report was correct that the Canadian Supreme court ruled that...
Canada's courts are different than yours, I guess.

BC has a Supreme Court (where this case was tried) and then there is the Supreme Court of Canada.

Two vastly different beasts.
Old 09-23-2020, 03:57 PM   #12
Guru

In case anyone's interested:

Quote:
Each type of court has its own jurisdiction, which means that it has the authority to decide specific types of cases. Canada has four levels of court.

1. Provincial and territorial (lower) courts: These courts handle most cases that come into the system. They are established by provincial and territorial governments.

2. Provincial and territorial superior courts: These are courts of plenary, or complete, jurisdiction established under section 96 of the Constitution Act, 1867. They deal with more serious crimes and also hear appeals from provincial and territorial courts. The Federal Court is on the same level, but is responsible for deciding civil matters assigned to it by statute, such as immigration and patents.

3. Provincial and territorial courts of appeal and the Federal Court of Appeal.

4. The Supreme Court of Canada, which is the final court of appeal for Canada.
https://www.justice.gc.ca/eng/csj-sjc/ccs-ajc/02.html
Old 09-23-2020, 07:02 PM   #13
Guru

Well it seems PNW has the same issue/problem. B.C. courts are basically stating the the municipality owns the land under the water? If so this is what Washington State has done.

I have a dock. I own the dock and a small strip of land. However, any land from high tide outward that is under water is owned by the state.

Derelicts have increased along in the Portland area. It got so bad I believe Portland passed a law that restricted moorage.

Now these derilics have discovered other areas like St. Helens Oregon. They camp out in the near buy channels, then they come to town and fill up the city dock. Then things start disappearing from boats like us. St. Helens has tried to regulate the time on the docks to 14 days in any month. So they have figured out how to get around it.

Below is a link to Portland. Even 40 miles down river in our neck of the woods is this cement sail boat. He got tossed from the dock due to non payment of moorage fees and insurance. I am worried about it dragging and ASD could be in its path.

One place I see may be changing in Canada is across from Nanaimo. Lots of derilics there all summer.

https://www.oregonlive.com/news/2019...attention.html

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200923_163718.jpeg
Views:	57
Size:	17.2 KB
ID:	108207
Old 09-23-2020, 07:11 PM   #14
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayM View Post
What's going on here on TF today?

Did I miss some sort of Canadian led affront to your national pride in the OP's linked news piece?
Murray, I sense here that there is nothing really going on other than the usual banter and rivalry between two close countries, as there is also between Australia and New Zealand. Being a dual citizen, I now see the funny side of it. Usually there is an element of over-reaction on the part of the smaller (in population) country, because they feel they are the underdog, and the larger brother (by population) tends to take advantage of this, and loves to prod the tender spots. From the sidelines here, as it were, I see this going on a lot with respect to US and Canadian relations. Just sayin'...
Old 09-23-2020, 07:42 PM   #15
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ and Englewood, FL
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
So the video said they had until May to comply. Its now September. What is the current status?
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Englewood Florida.
Old 09-23-2020, 07:57 PM   #16
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
Murray, I sense here that there is nothing really going on other than the usual banter and rivalry between two close countries, as there is also between Australia and New Zealand. Being a dual citizen, I now see the funny side of it. Usually there is an element of over-reaction on the part of the smaller (in population) country, because they feel they are the underdog, and the larger brother (by population) tends to take advantage of this, and loves to prod the tender spots. From the sidelines here, as it were, I see this going on a lot with respect to US and Canadian relations. Just sayin'...
That would be the normal state of affairs here as well...the weird part is Americans calling Canadians #1
Old 09-23-2020, 08:10 PM   #17
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehoser75 View Post
Although you are certainly entitled to your opinions, and I am sorry for whatever happened to you to cause your dislike of Canadians, but your comments don't help international relations??
In the USA we have a CONSTITUTION that gives rights to individuals who may or may or not be fiscally responsible for whatever judgement body seems appropriate. some people who live aboard may not live up to your standards But they are US citizens with rights! I just hate the Canadian attitude that the USA does nothing to deter such situations.... Just keep in mind, who Is Canada going to look to to defend it if the Situation gets real.... Like it or not, USA is the cops of North America... I live in Florida and love hearing the Canadian snow birds (prior covid) coming to town and telling us "how it ought to be,here is how we do it up north" If it is so great, why come here, and try to change us. Bartenders and waitresses hate most Canadians because they don't tip...In Canada, Meal price includes tip.... Well in The dirty, bad USA it doesn't....
Old 09-23-2020, 08:26 PM   #18
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
Quote:
In the USA we have a CONSTITUTION that gives rights to individuals who may or may or not be fiscally responsible for whatever judgement body seems appropriate. some people who live aboard may not live up to your standards But they are US citizens with rights! I just hate the Canadian attitude that the USA does nothing to deter such situations.... Just keep in mind, who Is Canada going to look to to defend it if the Situation gets real.... Like it or not, USA is the cops of North America... I live in Florida and love hearing the Canadian snow birds (prior covid) coming to town and telling us "how it ought to be,here is how we do it up north" If it is so great, why come here, and try to change us. Bartenders and waitresses hate most Canadians because they don't tip...In Canada, Meal price includes tip.... Well in The dirty, bad USA it doesn't....
Just to mention that meal price includes tip in Canada makes you loose any credibility and shows you don't know much about Canada.

L
Old 09-23-2020, 08:46 PM   #19
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Wire View Post
So the video said they had until May to comply. Its now September. What is the current status?
Mmmmm I thought that was May 2021..
Old 09-23-2020, 08:52 PM   #20
Guru

Quote:
..I live in Florida and love hearing the Canadian snow birds (prior covid) coming to town and telling us "how it ought to be,here is how we do it up north"...
Oh, so that's what's going on. I couldn't figure out how you got your nose out of joint from what was posted in this thread.

We should be willing to learn from each other; all countries!