Old 06-22-2020, 09:57 AM   #1

City: Detroit
Can I purchase a boat in Canada and bring it US?

I am looking at a few boats in Canada. Am I up a creek, or can a boat be purchased, travel to the boat made, then a return trip in the boat to the US? Not sure if commercial business such as this is allowed. Does anyone have an answer to this for me please? Thank you for any help I can get. Bill
moparharn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 10:09 AM   #2
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
You can buy a boat in Canada and hire a Canadian delivery skipper to deliver it to the US. What you can’t do is go to Canada to look at a boat nor can you hire a US delivery skipper to go to ‘Canada to retrieve the boat.

There is more to this than what I have just said but this gives you an idea of what can be done.
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 10:39 AM   #3
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. m. Of course. Just not a this time due to COVID restrictions as Mr. t1 describes. When you are able, it might also be worth looking into any duty or taxes that you may be responsible for from the US end of things. Canadian boat prices are very attractive, at the moment BUT you've always got to pay the tax man.

Depending on where the boat was built you may benefit from NAFTA regulations.
Old 06-22-2020, 11:43 AM   #4
Veteran Member

City: Bainbridge Island
Vessel Name: Turtle
Vessel Model: North Pacific 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by moparharn View Post
I am looking at a few boats in Canada. Am I up a creek, or can a boat be purchased, travel to the boat made, then a return trip in the boat to the US? Not sure if commercial business such as this is allowed. Does anyone have an answer to this for me please? Thank you for any help I can get. Bill
On June 18, we took delivery of a North Pacific - which is a Canadian company. They delivered it from Surrey to Blaine with a commercial captain.
Shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 11:58 AM   #5
Guru

City: Gig Harbor, WA
Vessel Name: MoonShadow
Vessel Model: Wendon Skylounge 72'
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Canadian boat prices are very attractive, at the moment BUT you've always got to pay the tax man.

Depending on where the boat was built you may benefit from NAFTA regulations.
As noted, if the boat was built in the US or Canada (or Mexico for that matter) and imported to WA then you will need to pay the same use tax as you would have paid for a local purchase. However you will also need to get a certificate of construction from the builder or other documentation acceptable to CBP in order to prove this construction was within the NAFTA countries. If boat was built outside these countries then import duties will need to be paid in addition to Use Tax.

~Alan
AlanT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 09:47 AM   #6

City: Detroit
Thank you everyone for your responses. I will have to rely on a good surveyor and a marine lawyer to handle the transaction and escrow if any. An uphill battle, but possibly worth the effort. We shall see. Bill
moparharn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 09:42 AM   #7
Veteran Member

City: Prescott
Vessel Name: JOURNEY
Vessel Model: Prairie 29
Does anybody know when Canada might open up so we can go and look at a boat and bring it back ourselves. I am looking at two different boats in Canada, but won't buy sight unseen.
Steve Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 10:36 AM   #8
Guru

City: Nanaimo
Vessel Name: former owner of "Pilitak"
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
I have not heard anything official, but for the west, BC has a reasonably low Covid infection rate, and Canada in general has a much lower rate than the US. With US infection rates rising in many States, I would hope that the border stays closed longer.
However, due to the "commercial" aspect of the closure (allowing commercial traffic), some are finding "loopholes". For example, I just saw a floatilla from NW Explorations (I think 7 boats) from Bellingham docking in Nanaimo yesterday. They crossed the border recently and are headed to Alaska to pickup customers for Alaska cruising. They were allowed to cross due to the "commercial" exemption and apparently were not required to quarantine yet they docked in Nanaimo . Just "staff" members on board, I think.

Thinking that all of this (pandemic) started less than 9-10 months ago with just one case, causes me to worry by allowing activities such as this (which in my mind are not essential), we may be "importing" new cases negating sacrifices that have been made in the last few months
I did not hang around long enough (had to get home) to see whether or not they used masks when ashore, where they went (like shopping?), or what if any measures they took to ensure they did not inadvertently create a problem. Here's hoping they at least did all that they could to be as responsible as possible (at least).
Old 06-24-2020, 03:52 PM   #9
Veteran Member

City: Prescott
Vessel Name: JOURNEY
Vessel Model: Prairie 29
Seems like everyplace has some crazy rules, that don't follow other places in the same country or state. In AZ. if you are in Phoenix, you have to wear a mask, yet other cities, they stress washing hands with no requirement for masks. I mostly wear a mask, but mot always.
Steve Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 04:43 PM   #10
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
I heard from some guy on the dock over the weekend.... (really, so you know how reliable the information is...) that BC was going to up some time in July. However, with the rapidly rising new cases in Washington, I wouldn't be surprised if that was extended.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 04:49 PM   #11

City: Port Hope
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
I heard from some guy on the dock over the weekend.... (really, so you know how reliable the information is...) that BC was going to up some time in July. However, with the rapidly rising new cases in Washington, I wouldn't be surprised if that was extended.

Except the border is under the jurisdiction of the federal government, not provincial. It's probably safe to assume that the border will not be opened until there is a noticeable and significant reduction in the number of new cases in the US.
John R M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 06:30 PM   #12
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
As of today, BC is into phase 3 of re-opening. What this means for our borders; those between BC and Alberta, BC and Yukon, are open to other Canadians. Between BC and Washington remains open only to essential crossing by non-Canadians, and open to returning Canadians.
This status reflects what our Federal Government has agreed to with the US gov, and will last until July 21 under the present agreement. That agreement began March 21 and has been extended monthly since then. Expect another monthly extension to August and again monthly thereafter until the US gets Covid under control.
Looking at the US from Canada, there doesn't seem to be any public willingness in the US to get Covid under control, which we find somewhat worrisome.
Old 06-24-2020, 11:52 PM   #13
Guru

City: Gulf Islands, BC Canada
Vessel Name: Sea Sanctuary
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4588
Quote:
Originally Posted by firehoser75 View Post
However, due to the "commercial" aspect of the closure (allowing commercial traffic), some are finding "loopholes". For example, I just saw a floatilla from NW Explorations (I think 7 boats) from Bellingham docking in Nanaimo yesterday. They crossed the border recently and are headed to Alaska to pickup customers for Alaska cruising. They were allowed to cross due to the "commercial" exemption and apparently were not required to quarantine yet they docked in Nanaimo . Just "staff" members on board, I think.

Tom, Is bolded an assumption or fact? I have no problem with transit of commercial or pleasure, but I must think there are guidelines. Seven Americans were just fined for hiking in the forest having crossed the border with Alaska as the destination. It seems that there are some rules. Maybe these boats were not allowed to dock at all. Anyone know?
SteveK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 12:45 AM   #14
Guru

Hi Steve,
Unfortunately it is fact. I personally saw at least 2 of the boats dock (not fuel dock) before I left for home, and I conversed with the company via "chat" and that is what they told me. Something along the lines of " authorities did not require any special considerations" when I asked specifically about quarantine and they were allowed entry due to their "commercial" status. Personally, I do not feel that running a "floatilla" is an essential activity at this time. It may be as far as they (the company) are concerned, but many other businesses are not able to operate (or have had to alter greatly) at this time.
I sent messages to several Government officials expressing my displeasure. Either the border is closed (except to essential commercial activities) or it is not!
There have been many reported crossings by land where people crossing into Canada have been "less than truthful". If caught (in dishonesty or not following the rules), under these circumstances they should be banned for life. In my view we are either serious about this, or????
Just saying.
Old 06-25-2020, 01:36 AM   #15
Guru

City: Gulf Islands, BC Canada
Vessel Name: Sea Sanctuary
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4588
Tom,
we agree on this 100%. I tried again to find some guidelines and only came across a victoria article expressing the same concern.
By all means transit to AK but no dock stops except for fuel.
Not that I care, but Dr Bonnie refuses to ignore the 14 day isolation for the NHL, something many want to see, yet this is going on without quarantine.
SteveK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 07:28 AM   #16

City: PNW
Just a FYI and not that it really matters, but NW Explorations is now a Canadian owned company.
Stabi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 10:24 AM   #17
Guru

Steve and Stabi,
Personally I don't think transiting to Alaska for "pleasure" (meaning not related to the transport of goods, etc.) is an "essential" activity during this time. To me, it is not relevant that it is Canadian owned. The boats came from and are operated out of Bellingham, therefore crossed the "closed" border with no quarantine.

Go figure about Dr. Henry and the NHL. I agree, but it shows how we do not have this from a common sense view.
Old 06-25-2020, 06:36 PM   #18

City: PNW
While I totally understand the closed border, and I, like many others, am spending the summer in Port because of it, I wonder if the border was opened to NW Explore by pressure from your countrymen on your government to make sure that they were able to keep their CA owned business "profitable".
Stabi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 07:24 PM   #19
Guru

City: Sidney BC Canada
Vessel Name: RochePoint
Vessel Model: 1985 Cheer Men PT38 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by firehoser75 View Post
Personally I don't think transiting to Alaska for "pleasure" (meaning not related to the transport of goods, etc.) is an "essential" activity during this time. To me, it is not relevant that it is Canadian owned. The boats came from and are operated out of Bellingham, therefore crossed the "closed" border with no quarantine.
Totally agree with you as they have made dock stops each night on the way up Vancouver Island and are in Port McNeil at the docks right now.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2020-06-25 at 5.20.32 PM.jpg  
rochepoint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 06:08 PM   #20

City: Hawaii
Pre, and hopefully post Covid-19, you could have, or will be able to, buy a boat anywhere in the world and bring it to the US. To analysis all the variables you may encounter doing that I would need about fifty pieces of information about you personally and the prospective boat.
ProMaritime is offline   Reply With Quote