Can a 25'-27' Tug replace an RV to live on land & sea?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't see why it can't work well. Many TF members like their luxuries and simply wouldn't consider a boat that small but others are much more flexible.
You need to be flexible (in many ways) on a smaller boat.

My black water tank is gravity drain, and this is not an uncommon setup on sail boats. As mentioned, a portable cassette black water tank would also work for short stays. A portable grey water tank is easy to set up.

I'm not sure what you have for a tow vehicle, but if limited you may want to consider something like a MacGregor 26D. This boat is commonly used as an RV, and has two double beds. It is a sailboat that uses a water ballast so it it lightweight (2550 lbs empty), easy to tow, and even planes at over 20 knots without the water ballast. A 12" draft with the daggerboard retracted.

It absolutely can work. I know a couple that did exactly this using a SeaRay 268 on a trailer behind a PU truck full timing for about 2 yrs. They toured the east traveling from lake to lake or waterway with some non boating stops in between. NE to FL keys.
Much of their travel was by water and enlisted friends & acquaintances for rides back to recover their truck & trailer.
It does take a little adjusting as not all boat systems are available when " on the hard" but with some planning and compromises it can be done.
Great way to explore. A temp or permanent hook up for fresh water toilet flush might be a priority.
Many states in the SE have "resort" parks with camping, boating, golf, etc. Anyone interested could essentially "do the loop" this way.

I have a composting head in my trawler which is a boon when using the boat as a RV whilst trailering I would imagine. Also, having solar panels to provide adequate power AC and DC in remote campsites offers more flexibility.

I'm a newbie to this forum. Been sailing the Great Lakes for over 20 years. Now considering a Tug to use both on waters out West and to live on it like an RV when traveling to various bodies of water for 3 to 6 months.
Am I just trying to convince myself that this is doable to justify the Tug?
Has anyone accomplished this feat successfully?

Any advice is welcome,
Ken

ABSOLUTELY. You will love putting along at 5-7kts watching the sea birds and whales, while you eat lunch on the bridge. Assuming 27-LWL, you will have nearly 250 sq ft of living space. Your engine will sip fuel.

But then so does a sailboat - In fact the sailboat is wider and has more cubic feet of comfort and two heads - which keeps the other person happy. Both are trailerable.

Now the rv at best will have one head, one bed, one sofa and only about 180 sq ft of actual living space. It will have either a V10 gas motor or a 6.7L diesel and they gulp fuel - think about 6-10mpg.

You may like to look at the Great Harbour TT35. It is trailerable and designed to be used as a RV while traveling to different locations.

But, it's also 35ft. The OP wants smaller. I've seen them - looks like one of our herring boats we used on the GL in the 70s.

RV boating

I'm a newbie to this forum. Been sailing the Great Lakes for over 20 years. Now considering a Tug to use both on waters out West and to live on it like an RV when traveling to various bodies of water for 3 to 6 months.
Am I just trying to convince myself that this is doable to justify the Tug?

Any advice is welcome,
Ken

The living/storage space on a 25-27 tug is much less than the living space on even a small RV. The issues with towing vehicle/trailer storage, Grey/Black pump out and size requirements of tow vehicle have been addressed. Have people done this; yes. Hell, I've met people who have trailer camped a C Dory 22 all over the US and then taken it up the inside passage from Seattle to Seward, Ak. Almost anything is doable if you are willing to deal with the "cost of doing business" in the vessel you choose.

My advice is, get a nice moderate size RV and pull a C Dory 22 behind you. (I've removed the galley unit in my C Dory 22 and replaced it with an enclosed head. The porta potty is plumbed to be pumped out, so no dealing with dumping it). Visit all the lakes out West, Puget Sound, Southern Ca, and day/weekend cruise in your C Dory and live in your RV. That's how I would handle your idea if I were to undertake this.

Last edited:

++++++++++++++++++++++++++
We've been officially "homeless" :eek: since 2001, traveling full time in a 30' 5th wheel trailer and purchased a 25' Rosborough 246 three years ago with the intent of spending 6 months alternatively on each.

Our plan got disrupted last year due to Covid and we have been living full time on our boat for almost exactly 1 year. That's living on our boat for a solid year but only 4 months on the water--the other 8 months were on land "moochdocking" on our boat while on it's trailer in relative's back yards waiting for Covid to clear.

We "boaterhome" with the boat on it's trailer between cruising grounds and have been several times between the North Channel/Georgian Bay and Florida (although most recently we traveled by water down the ICW from Norfolk to Clearwater). We have intentionally rigged our boat to be equally comfortable out of the water on it's trailer (composting toilet, air cooled A/C, diesel forced air heater, Honda air cooled generator, solar panel, power adapter for CG electrics, etc.) and don't find it much of a burden to live aboard on land. But our 25' boat IS noticeably smaller than our 30' 5'er-- our V berth truly is not a queen as mentioned above....

Regarding size, living in small spaces can be done, more "normal" folks do it than you may be aware of. We spent 2 years in Europe living in a 15' single axle travel trailer that we pulled behind our Toyota Camary and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. That trailer was AVERAGE size for the European campers-- the roads and campsites over there just won't accommodate anything much larger.

Tens if not hundreds of thousands of European snowbirds, mostly retired Brits and Germans, successfully spend 4-5 winter months living in their 15-17' trailers in campgrounds on the Med coasts of Spain and France. Ditto for the August vacation month, the Med coast of France fills to capacity and beyond with French families spending weeks at a time in those sized trailers at massive beachside campgrounds.

These folks were not starry eyed hipsters looking for a tiny home experience, they were retired white and blue collar workers who chose to spend at least a significant part of their retirement years in a small trailer.

As far as acceptance our boat at campgrounds goes, yes we have found some commercial campgrounds will not allow boats as "RV's"-- we've had the most trouble with campgrounds on the I-95 corridor in southern Florida. State parks, many county parks and Corps of Engineers campgrounds are usually OK with boats and we have stayed at commercial campgrounds in GA, PA, VA, MI but often have to explain the parameters of our boat to stunned, rather than concerned, reception folks. We usually call ahead to verify a campground will accept us but the Favors (see below) mention they often show up late in the day and can often get acceptance at otherwise reluctant campgrounds at the last minute.

We have not traveled out west with our boat yet but from our RV experience we expect commercial campgrounds out there to be more receptive (and interested in our money) than southern Florida. We did have one campground in southern Canada actually want to take a picture of our boat at their entrance station to use on their website to attract the fishermen crowd.

We have spent multiple days "boaterhoming" at public campgrounds so know that is possible but have only done overnight stays at commercial campgrounds so can't comment about longer term stays there but would imagine many if not most wouldn't have a problem.

I second the suggestion above to get a copy of Jim & Lisa Favors book on Trailerable Trawlering. It's a pretty good primer for the motivation of and some things to think about when trying to do this. And to pick up some cool terms like "boaterhoming" :lol:.

We've found our boat on it's trailer attracts folks at a campground or rest area like a Golden Retriever puppy would. Maybe folks view the size as something attainable in line with their dreams and many more people have approached us with questions about the boat than ever have about our 5'er. We've even been given a couple of six packs of beer by a delivery driver who wanted to know more about it :thumb:. So if you like free beer, go for it!

Ranger Tug for Sale

Hi Ken: I have a Ranger tug for sale with 2 axle trailer, Zodiac dinghy with 2.5 hp 4 stroke outboard with 4 hours on it. I tow it with a Ford 150, price is $115000 complete. The tug is loaded with every option including satellite TV. When we travel from Florida to Michigan we stay at campgrounds without any problem. I'd be happy is discuss further if you would like. (231)675-2605
Jeff

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom