Boat names that just have to be shared.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Exactly correct! Literally it means "doing nothing" I think, but it has a much deeper and more romantic Italian meaning as you said. I know I've seen at least one other boat in my life with that name up on Lake Champlain years ago. Funny to find the name first, and then find the boat.

Some friends in Annapolis have a boat named "La Dolce Far Niente". Which they named just before they found out they were going to have twins (to add to the one child they had already). So much for doing nothing, eh?

They still have the boat and three great boys.

Some friends in Annapolis have a boat named "La Dolce Far Niente". Which they named just before they found out they were going to have twins (to add to the one child they had already). So much for doing nothing, eh?

They still have the boat and three great boys.

The sweetness of doing nothing. Perfect!

I bought a 20 foot Boston Whaler some years back. No name was on the boat so I thought it did not have one. When I got the registration I learned it was ......................Sea Section. Who does that to a boat???

I bought a 20 foot Boston Whaler some years back. No name was on the boat so I thought it did not have one. When I got the registration I learned it was ......................Sea Section. Who does that to a boat???

The 12' Whaler tender I got with our boat was named DINGUS MAXIMUS

It was pretty beat up, so I think it fit.

People we knew had a beautiful 50ft cruising sailboat called "Xanthippe". Xanthippe was the wife of the Greek philosopher Socrates, so the dinghy was named "Socrates". Often wondered if one or both names were changed after they sold.

My parents had a boat in the sixties names "Wandering Star." I just found their burgee and was wondering about naming our future boat the same.

Have you seen this name? Is it really common? We don't want to overuse a name if it's seen a lot already.

My parents had a boat in the sixties names "Wandering Star." I just found their burgee and was wondering about naming our future boat the same.

Have you seen this name? Is it really common? We don't want to overuse a name if it's seen a lot already.

Maybe not common, but it is definitely around.

A song from the 1951 play and 1969? movie, "Paint Your Wagon.". Once you've heard Lee Marvin sing it you may wish to reconsider.:facepalm:

Last edited:
"Wandering Star"....

I don't think of that as a common or overused boat name. Don't see them all the time, etc.

To put a number to it, I just looked up the name "Wandering Star" in the USCG Documented boat database (active documents). It shows about 80 vessels with that name.

For comparison, I looked up "Dream Catcher," which I do think of as a popular (possibly "overused") name. There were 470 vessels named "Dream Catcher" in the same USCG database (active ones).

To put it another way, if I wanted to name my boat "Wandering Star," there aren't so many -- in the list or that I've ever seen -- that it would give me any pause in using it. Obviously that's subjective.

Also, I think your history with the name is neat; I see it as a big added bonus for your choosing it, despite that fact that it may not be the one and only.

Last edited:
In FT. Meyers saw a boat named, “our last boat IV”

In the ICW at FLL was "BRAIN DEAD," on a go fast.

In Old Saybrook Ct was "JOHN."

When called at the office his staff would say he is on "The John" , I will have him call you back.

In 1976, the great offshore sailing multihull racer Phil Weld attempted a trans-Atlantic crossing on his custom trimaran "Gulf Streamer," but was capsized by a rogue wave. After surviving for four days with the capsized boat, he promptly had its successor built and christened it "Rogue Wave." His third offshore racing tri was appropriately named 'Moxie." In that boat, at age 65, he won the 1980 Observer Single-handed Transatlantic Race (OSTAR).

When called at the office his staff would say he is on "The John" , I will have him call you back.

Absolutely loved this one. A good laugh for the wife and me.

Along these lines........... a few years back we had a local Politician who had a small fishing boat that he named "The Electorate" - so that his office staff could honestly say that when he was fishing - "sorry he is not available -he`s out and about in the electorate"

A friend of mine had a brother who named his boat "First Choice." When I asked him how he came up with that name, he explained that when he told his wife he was going to buy the boat, she replied that it was either the boat or her.

I grew up in the 1950s in what the Clinton administration later dubbed poor-white-trailer-trash. So when I had my 23ft beam power catamaran built I named her Double-Wide. Most just think it refers to her beam, but if I told my relatives I was going down to stay on my boat they would feel sorry thinking it was a john boat. Now I can tell them I am going down to stay on my double wide and they think I have made it. I did get a little flippant on naming the dinghy - Trawler Trash.

I grew up in the 1950s in what the Clinton administration later dubbed poor-white-trailer-trash. So when I had my 23ft beam power catamaran built I named her Double-Wide. Most just think it refers to her beam, but if I told my relatives I was going down to stay on my boat they would feel sorry thinking it was a john boat. Now I can tell them I am going down to stay on my double wide and they think I have made it. I did get a little flippant on naming the dinghy - Trawler Trash.
That is a great story and names for the boat and dingy.

I like silly boat names for the most part. Most of the good ones I hear, or see around here are on fishing focused boats. My pet peeve are foreign names, that you see on the AIS or transom, but would have no idea how to pronounce if you wanted to call them on the VHF.

Recent favorite silly names

Phat Butts
Hoochie Mama
Irreplaceable II
Window Licker

We heard Window Licker talking to his buddies on the VHF years ago, and it makes me giggle 10 years later.

I don’t understand people that don’t respect their boats and put names like that on the boat. Lack of maturity???

I watched a beautiful Swan 65 sail by me a few years ago and as it passed I could see the name, "Blow Me". I thought kinda funny but how could you?

A couple of years ago just after we purchased our boat we were searching for a new name. We both sing in our church choir and at practice, the choir director was frustrated with the choir - said "can't you see the word Adagio on your music - you know that means 'slow movement' " I looked at my wife and mouthed 'that's it'. Perfect for our slow (8mph cruise) boat. ADAGIO it is.

I knew a guy who named his boat "Choir Practice" and he was in his church's choir. He said this way his wife never gave him a hard time when he said he was going to choir practice.

I like silly boat names for the most part. Most of the good ones I hear, or see around here are on fishing focused boats. My pet peeve are foreign names, that you see on the AIS or transom, but would have no idea how to pronounce if you wanted to call them on the VHF.

Recent favorite silly names

Phat Butts
Hoochie Mama
Irreplaceable II
Window Licker

We heard Window Licker talking to his buddies on the VHF years ago, and it makes me giggle 10 years later.

Silly names. Hard to find a name that you can both say over the VHF easily and is neither too silly or too pompous. ??*♂️

I have a 21 ft fishing boat that I use to troll around the Chesapeake and I was a football player on a team where we were the Dragons. I call it "Dragon lines". A mistake, nobody gets it.

I have a 21 ft fishing boat that I use to troll around the Chesapeake and I was a football player on a team where we were the Dragons. I call it "Dragon lines". A mistake, nobody gets it.

But it sure would be funny to hear you call Blow Me

Then the one that was famously re-named "Level Crossing" after ramming an anchored freighter in English Bay.

"Cease the Carp"

Years ago when I worked on the Tacoma tideflats there was a Korean tallow ship that came in regularly called " Bum Dong"

From the comic strip "Shoe". The secretary for the newspaper answers the phone," he's out on assignment". Next frame is a small fishing boat with "Assignment " on the transom.

Ted

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom