Boat names that just have to be shared.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think the implication for humour here is that you might as well name it "One who passes gas."

There is an antiques shop in Cocoa FL that specializes gas station memorabilia with the name of "Past Gas" which I always grin at, going by..

I bought a boat named Suffering Succotash. It has a great professionally painting of Sylvester to go with it. This was a racing sailboat. I kept the photo and one. “S”. And called her Slim. We raced all over CA and various yacht clubs called us “team cat picture”. We used that name and also SLIM Pronounced as Sylvester would spray it!

Saw one tonight named Yes Dear.

Apt word for staying married for 29 years

There are several in the Marina where our Mainship is moored. One that just sold is the Miss Conduct, another is Possumbilities because it's on Possum Kingdom Lake here in Texas. Ours (if the title is ever found) will be named the Windy Gail from the former name of Bodacious.

Boats should be named after virtues or women. Preferably virtuous women.

Our boat is Jarrow Lily, a 2007 Island Packet SP Cruiser. It had had only one previous owner who neglected it terribly. Good thing too - we could not have afforded it otherwise.
As soon as the transaction was complete the previous owner asked me, very directly " Will you change the name? "
I asked him why she was called Jarrow Lily, quite an unusual name for a boat. His reply was enlightening. " Unlike most men I had a great relationship with my Mother in Law, who was a wonderful woman. I told her that should I ever buy a new boat I would name it after her. Her name was Lily and she was from Jarrow. "
First Mate and I thought it was such a lovely story, Jarrow Lily she remains.
We keep a steel Hartley 32 yacht in Wellington Harbour NZ.
She is called Ella after our Grandaughter.
I concur that boat names should be feminine if possible.

Our boat is Jarrow Lily, a 2007 Island Packet SP Cruiser. It had had only one previous owner who neglected it terribly. Good thing too - we could not have afforded it otherwise.
As soon as the transaction was complete the previous owner asked me, very directly " Will you change the name? "
I asked him why she was called Jarrow Lily, quite an unusual name for a boat. His reply was enlightening. " Unlike most men I had a great relationship with my Mother in Law, who was a wonderful woman. I told her that should I ever buy a new boat I would name it after her. Her name was Lily and she was from Jarrow. "
First Mate and I thought it was such a lovely story, Jarrow Lily she remains.
We keep a steel Hartley 32 yacht in Wellington Harbour NZ.
She is called Ella after our Grandaughter.
I concur that boat names should be feminine if possible.

Jarrow Lily, Welcome aboard Trawler Forum! Great story for a first post. Good on you for keeping the name!:dance:

Thanks slowgoesit, appreciate the welcome.
First Mate and I have sailed in Puget Sound, from Whidby Island.
A cool sailing area and one of great beauty.
I dont think I shall ever forgett the Cascade Mountains appearing to glow internally in the morning sun.

If you know how to spell that should take 20 seconds.....

Foxtrot-Romeo-Alpha-etc

ha ha...yeah....
the problem might have been that the average folk doesn't know the proper phonetic terms
frank-red-apple-nut-google-in-potato.......

I learned the phonetic alphabet years back as part of my Private Pilot training and have used it many times in all sorts of general life non-aviation (& non-marine, civilian) applications..

That brings up a good point though, when considering a new name
perhaps it's sometimes good to have boats named using the logic my wife and I tried to follow when naming our kids.... we tried to choose something fairly commonly known how to say and spell...but not so common that they might typically have multiple kids in every class with the same....and names not so easy to distort into something bad....

The cleverest name is one that shows respect to your boat and perhaps identifies a very important element of it’s design like Easy Rider. Or Plastic Oak. You’d really want “Oak and Cedar in Plastic” but it’s too wordy. After having one boat w a long name I avoided it after.

What ever you do don’t make a joke of your boat.

We have a boat in the Solent named " Shy Talk "

There is another moored in the Beauleu River which was the result of a good betting result.

" A Day at the Races "

And another at Hardway in Portsmouth Harbour called " Red Hot Grannie "

The mind boggles.....................:socool:

Exactly......

There is a tradition amongst my fellow Dutch, and many other nations’ assorted watermen, to name their boats after a woman, often their significant other. Boats are female; the interwebs give diverse reasons. There is a romantic notion that “she” is the motherly embrace that will shield you, and your cargo, from the sea. Or in a more sexist twist, some say that a ship can be unpredictable, nay cantankerous. For most women I know there is only room for one girl. Naming your ship after her will hopefully appease her enough to keep any jealousy at bay. Anyway, it’s a tradition and it solves the “what shall we name her?” problem. Thus, my boats are named “Lady Kay”, after the love of my life by the same name.

Recently saw "Ship Yeah!"

(Probably goes without saying, but boat was not a ship.)

And it goes without saying the name should be easily pronounced and more important, it must be understood over the radio. The KISS principle needs to be kept in mind when naming the vessel.
Cutesy names can sometimes be misunderstood.

Well - we have Moon Dragon - registered Canadian Vessel.
The boat's name history Cajun Moon & Moon Dog II.

Wet Dream

I am just glad I don’t see as many boats named “Wet Dream” as I used to.

This one bothered me enough to take a picture 207106032.jpeg

Ours is "No Worries" because that's what being on the boat is about.

For you Star Wars fan, I saw a boat named Sea3PO.

I looked at a boat on the St. Lawrence River, in NY, with a clever name. They were dock cottages that would anchor, and party, in coves several times a summer. The name was "Sir Roses Of The River".

There wasn't a person that walked but that didn't comment on the name while I was onboard looking her over.

The cleverest name is one that shows respect to your boat and perhaps identifies a very important element of it’s design like Easy Rider. Or Plastic Oak. You’d really want “Oak and Cedar in Plastic” but it’s too wordy. After having one boat w a long name I avoided it after.

Which is why we went with Boku. Bravo-Oscar-Kilo-Uniform is easy to spell over the air, and it's the phonetic spelling of "Beaucoup", the french word for alot or many. As in the many blessings we needed to acquire her, and the many adventures she'll provide us with.

Mine is "Blue".
The hull is a dark midnight blue and it was the name when we bought it so we left it the same.

Back in our sailing days, we were between boats and I bought my wife a special bottle of wine for her b'day called Far Niente. After reading the bottle and learning the meaning of the phrase, I thought it would be the perfect name for a sailboat. Our next boat was our favorite sailboat, an Island Packet, which we promptly named Far Niente. We had the name hand painted in the same script that the painter copied from the wine cork.

Back in our sailing days, we were between boats and I bought my wife a special bottle of wine for her b'day called Far Niente. After reading the bottle and learning the meaning of the phrase, I thought it would be the perfect name for a sailboat. Our next boat was our favorite sailboat, an Island Packet, which we promptly named Far Niente. We had the name hand painted in the same script that the painter copied from the wine cork.

What is the meaning? I've seen it used before, and was always curious.

Far Niente comes from an Italian phrase that romantically translated means, “ without a care.”*

Far Niente comes from an Italian phrase that romantically translated means, “ without a care.”*

Exactly correct! Literally it means "doing nothing" I think, but it has a much deeper and more romantic Italian meaning as you said. I know I've seen at least one other boat in my life with that name up on Lake Champlain years ago. Funny to find the name first, and then find the boat.

My biggest regret was not sending a picture of the transom to the winery. Might have gotten us a case of expensive CA chardonnay!

Back
Top Bottom