Boat names that just have to be shared.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Perhaps you’ve seen this before...

Attachments

• D4FE5CA2-81C7-4F9C-9FC7-491573AD7DFB.jpeg
    D4FE5CA2-81C7-4F9C-9FC7-491573AD7DFB.jpeg
    75.1 KB · Views: 74
Feel sorry for the bridge operators for they must log boats that request an opening.

The small boat name that caused tons of VHF traffic was " PAY DAY".

While I agree that boats should have a dignified name, there are some people that have quirky senses of humor, and try to keep the mood light. I am a former captain and mate on large sportfishing yachts. Two names that come to mind are “Plastic Toy” and “Poverty Sucks”. These names were on the back of multi-million dollar sportfishing yachts, with full time professional crews, and were maintained with an open checkbook. The owners of both of these yachts were the nicest most respectful people that you would ever meet. They just didn’t take themselves so seriously.

Since they had a hired captain and crew, is it possible those owners were never the poor guy that had to get on the radio and say “Oakland Park bridge, Oakland park bridge, this is Poverty Sucks requesting an opening....” ?
Wheelguns, sorry I don’t mean to pick on you but IMHO nice people do not name their yacht something like that. “Poverty Sucks” is an arrogant and snobby name to put on a very expensive yacht because to the other 99%, it looks like they’re flaunting their great wealth.
I’m just over the silly or inappropriate boat names, it’s juvenile.

Last edited:
One can argue that a lifetime of seriousness is not all that healthy either.

Look at comedy....anything goes and most people laugh.because it comedy.

Saying the same out.on the street can get you shot or beat down.

If the people are nice, yet not serious about themselves or life in general, it's just as snobbish to assume they are.

This entire world-wide forum flaunts money and great lifestyles in the faces of a fairly poor world. So boat names are pretty low on the give a **** list for many.

Last edited:
There’s plenty of sick stuff about without making a joke of your boat.

Just another opinion on a serious boating forum which 99% of boaters don't frequent or probably think many posters are stuffed shirts....

Our boats were "Attitude Adjustment" it was on the old Mainship I we bought and we kept it.

Craziest one I saw was in the Chesapeake Bay "You're Dead a Long Time".

Made me think

Most suited name to owner that I came across was Curmudgeon, on a hulk perma-anchored in Coral Harbor, St. John, USVI.

Attachments

• Feb 07 017.jpg
    Feb 07 017.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 91
When I was moving around the country a lot, I did a short time in West Palm Beach where I plotted/cut a lot of vinyl boat names in a print shop. The owner told me that it is usually new boat owners go for the most tawdry, Benny Hill type names, and "expect to cut Pole Dancer 4 times a season".

I had a sailboat with a bunch of batteries and a big trolling motor for when the wind died off... Named Watt Knott

On our dock a few years ago was a nice boat named Whine Cooler.

Here are a couple of names from boats in my marina I think are just plain wrong:

Attachments

• IMG_5598.jpg
    IMG_5598.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_5588 (1).jpg
    IMG_5588 (1).jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
I named my first cruising boat "Irrational". My wife thought it was a very appropriate name given the cost of buying and maintaining a boat.

I named my next boat "Triple Trouple" after our three children. There was a bit of "lost in translation" and this is the name the yard (in Spain) gave it:

Attachments

• 2009-04-05 14.49.47.jpg
    2009-04-05 14.49.47.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
A bit out of context but a friend of mine moved from a boat that he cruised extensively to a class A motorhome. He had amazing graphics which included naming the motorhome "Hard Aground." I loved it.

This has always been a favorite of mine:

15492-albums680-picture6848.jpg

It's from a 1986 Hewey Lewis music video for "Stuck on You"

Jim

Think good names mean something to you, aren’t offensive to LEOs/C&I, intelligible on radios and in synchrony to the vessel.
I’ve had multiple boats. All named Hippocampus (Greek for seahorse, area of the brain involved in memory). Regardless of which boat friends knew it was mine. Boats make memories. I’m a brain doc. Given its Greek regardless of where we are no one gets their back up. Distinctive on the radio. Works so reserved the name when I sell boats. See similar themes on other boats. Name speaks to the owner but is inoffensive to others. Friends used
practique
Why knot
Declination
Dreamcatcher
Kolunamoo
Merlin
Roxy
Allegro
Halcyon
Oasis
and so on
Love a good joke but boat names serve a function. If the name detracts from that it’s the wrong name imho.

Depends what function you want it to serve.

There is one up the river from me called Ship Box and it is. I've had Xanadu, Maranatha, Sea Fever, Jeanne B, Elissa Jeanne and now Seaview.

Saw a feadship replete with helicopter pad named “Rosebud”. Didn’t know if I should feel bad for the owner.

I saw one at Chesapeake Beach, MD years ago named "Ornery Bitch".

I guess "I Don't Believe in Preventive Maintenance" wouldn't fit on the transom.

Boat names are extremely personal and everyone should name their boat the way we want them to.

Yes, I am being facetious...

Since I am a pilot, my boat name is "Floatsome & Jetsome". I would say about 70% of the boaters I come across have no clue what the terms "flotsam and Jetsam" mean. Some remember a punk band from the 80s with the same name. Some mothers tell me about a children's cartoon with characters of that name.

There is a boat in my marina called "Good Kitty...Bad P*ssy". The P word goes across the transom door so a friend of mine on that dock would always walk by and open the door to "erase" the word. With that said, I have since met the couple that owns the boat. I would call them acquaintences as we don't keep in regular touch but I do see them around the social scene. They are exceptionally nice people and you'd never think they would own a boat that name. Granted, he is older(and financially successful) and she is younger and cute and sweet as a bug.

The worst name I have seen....."Emerge-N-Sea"....I am not kidding. And I had to look it up on the USCG registry as I knew there was no way the USCG would allow such a name. YEP....there it was. USCG documented vessel. Unbelievable.

And finally, one of my favorites....a family of four had a boat called "Wefouria"...i thought that was simple and cute.

one can argue that a lifetime of seriousness is not all that healthy either.

Look at comedy....anything goes and most people laugh.because it comedy.

Saying the same out.on the street can get you shot or beat down.

If the people are nice, yet not serious about themselves or life in general, it's just as snobbish to assume they are.

This entire world-wide forum flaunts money and great lifestyles in the faces of a fairly poor world. So boat names are pretty low on the give a **** list for many.

???

Thank goodness CARPE DIEM has finally passed away.

Sail boat named Breaking Wind

Back
Top Bottom