Best Trawler Type (or brand) for Off Shore

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Fish[IMG said:
https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=119105&thumb=1&d=1625583851[/IMG]

This is what you end up with when you get obsessed with the fear of infinitesimally small risks. Its like wearing a kevlar bodysuit every time you go swimming in the ocean because it is theoretically possible that a shark will eat you.

When you consider what they built it for -- Arctic Exploration -- it will shelter them well.

...in the strict definition that you guys want to adhere to, I could cruise to the Bahamas or Cuba, in fact most of the Carribean, and not be offshore? Not trying to argue, but 100 miles from land is still not offshore?

There isn't just one definition of "offshore" because it depends on the context. USCG says 200 miles for categorization of licensing because the skill set and experience required of a ship's captain crossing an ocean is different than required for near-coastal operation.

In a good year in SoCal we get yellowfin and bluefin tuna, as well as other pelagics, 10-20 miles off the beach in 1500ft of blue water. Any of the zillion sport fisherman chasing those tuna will tell you they are fishing offshore. They are just as correct as any other definition. Inshore fishing is a different ball game. There are plenty of other definitions, but context matters.

Maintenance done.

Sorry for not replying sooner OldDan1943 been busy working on boat and just catching up with the thread.
Small drip on water pump so I replaced. Replaced belts. And decided to replace belt tensioner as well. Oil, filters and all on engine, generator and transmissions. Pulled ends off exchanger and reviewed. . Did a cycle of barnacle buster through system. Also did zincs inside and out. and had bottom scrubbed. Installed second set of plastic window covering . That’s about all prep We did.

Sorry for not replying sooner OldDan1943 been busy working on boat and just catching up with the thread.
Small drip on water pump so I replaced. Replaced belts. And decided to replace belt tensioner as well. Oil, filters and all on engine, generator and transmissions. Pulled ends off exchanger and reviewed. . Did a cycle of barnacle buster through system. Also did zincs inside and out. and had bottom scrubbed. Installed second set of plastic window covering . That’s about all prep We did.

I forgot the question. :hide:

Forgot

Grin. I’ll remember that for another time.

If you read what I wrote there and elsewhere I believe I was very specific as to my definition of "offshore" as relates to my comments. Obviously I need to go to a sailboat forum where "offshore" doesn't mean five miles from the marina.

Your self importance is beyond the pale.

There isn't just one definition of "offshore" because it depends on the context. USCG says 200 miles for categorization of licensing because the skill set and experience required of a ship's captain crossing an ocean is different than required for near-coastal operation.

In a good year in SoCal we get yellowfin and bluefin tuna, as well as other pelagics, 10-20 miles off the beach in 1500ft of blue water. Any of the zillion sport fisherman chasing those tuna will tell you they are fishing offshore. They are just as correct as any other definition. Inshore fishing is a different ball game. There are plenty of other definitions, but context matters.

I completely agree. I was just trying to make a point because some folks here insist it's 200 miles regardless.

I've been off-grid for a few days and caught up on this lengthy thread. The OP asked about prudently cruising the Oregon coast up to the inside passage. Yet the evolution of responses all lead to some form of gold-plated Nordhavn-esque boat or heavily constructed man-cave tank (DD).

Just seems that no matter the question on threads like these, the answer is always the same - gotta have a Nordhavn (or similar). The part that makes me chuckle is I really wonder how many responders have actually made a multi-day passage in a small recreational boat vs just read Beebe et al.

Oh well, good discussion nonetheless. If the OP is still with us, I still contend the ubiquitous 40-ish foot trawler style (or motoryacht style) boat in decent condition would be a great platform to explore the coastline. If he wants to spend more money to resolve last 1%-2% of risk, great. It's a choice. But with reasonable wx and flexible schedule, I certainly wouldn't hesitate to leave port on the trip he describes with a 40 classic trawler. After that, it's personal preference.

Peter

PS - I loved SoCal "Suppository 38" comment on the converted lifeboat.

Last edited:
I fish. That includes giant blue tuna when I get the opportunity. Have caught them at the race just off P’town. Totally get that’s different than fly fishing for stripers off a beach in waders. But have done multiple SDRs and run into people who have cruised significant distances near shore but have neither the experience nor knowledge to outfit their boats correctly nor operate them in an offshore environment.
So accepting the concept of context in my view there’s still a major problem in how the terms are used. My impression is due to the sloppy generic use of offshore for all settings people refer to all settings as offshore and think they are nearly equivalent. They are NOT. So I would prefer everyone use the USCG definitions. But short of that at least use that definition whenever the subject has anything to do with boats and boating. There’s no testosterone when talking about this. Some of the worst weather and biggest breaking wave I’ve seen has been in a coastal setting. The only knockdown in a cruising boat (not small boat racing) was in Block island sound. I continue to believe the incorrect use of offshore when referring to boats is not in the boaters best interest.

Been in touch with the owner of the 46’ DD in SoCal. Awaiting further developments.

Last edited:
Fish[IMG said:
https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=119105&thumb=1&d=1625583851[/IMG]

This is what you end up with when you get obsessed with the fear of infinitesimally small risks. Its like wearing a kevlar bodysuit every time you go swimming in the ocean because it is theoretically possible that a shark will eat you.

Gee whiz, 767 people died while pleasure boating in the US in 2020. Considering the very limited average number of hours recreational boats are used annually that hardly appears "infinitesimally small" especially when compared to automobile use and the associated fatalities. I suspect however that your comment was more testosterone based that factually so no foul. Have a nice day.

I fish. That includes giant blue tuna when I get the opportunity. Have caught them at the race just off P’town. Totally get that’s different than fly fishing for stripers off a beach in waders. But have done multiple SDRs and run into people who have cruised significant distances near shore but have neither the experience nor knowledge to outfit their boats correctly nor operate them in an offshore environment.
So accepting the concept of context in my view there’s still a major problem in how the terms are used. My impression is due to the sloppy generic use of offshore for all settings people refer to all settings as offshore and think they are nearly equivalent. They are NOT. So I would prefer everyone use the USCG definitions. But short of that at least use that definition whenever the subject has anything to do with boats and boating. There’s no testosterone when talking about this. Some of the worst weather and biggest breaking wave I’ve seen has been in a coastal setting. The only knockdown in a cruising boat (not small boat racing) was in Block island sound. I continue to believe the incorrect use of offshore when referring to boats is not in the boaters best interest.

Been in touch with the owner of the 46’ DD in SoCal. Awaiting further developments.

Good luck with the DD 46! I used to chase bluefin also, mostly on Platts bank but I've run down to Georges a number of times. I started with a Sisu 26 then moved up to a BHM 32. The "definition" of offshore is certainly a slippery subject and there are times when it's preferable to have some sea room rather than be constricted.

I've been off-grid for a few days and caught up on this lengthy thread. The OP asked about prudently cruising the Oregon coast up to the inside passage. Yet the evolution of responses all lead to some form of gold-plated Nordhavn-esque boat or heavily constructed man-cave tank (DD).

Just seems that no matter the question on threads like these, the answer is always the same - gotta have a Nordhavn (or similar). The part that makes me chuckle is I really wonder how many responders have actually made a multi-day passage in a small recreational boat vs just read Beebe et al.

Oh well, good discussion nonetheless. If the OP is still with us, I still contend the ubiquitous 40-ish foot trawler style (or motoryacht style) boat in decent condition would be a great platform to explore the coastline. If he wants to spend more money to resolve last 1%-2% of risk, great. It's a choice. But with reasonable wx and flexible schedule, I certainly wouldn't hesitate to leave port on the trip he describes with a 40 classic trawler. After that, it's personal preference.

Peter

PS - I loved SoCal "Suppository 38" comment on the converted lifeboat.

Personally I'm sort of partial to your boat.

767 people died while pleasure boating in the US in 2020. Considering the very limited average number of hours recreational boats are used annually that hardly appears "infinitesimally small" especially when compared to automobile use and the associated fatalities.

I realize this has ventured off-topic, but some clarity is needed here. Those stats include PWCs, ski-boats, wind surfers, paddleboards, river-kayaks, and all manner of non-trawler style boats. BoatUS shows death/injury are caused by collision and drowning - alcohol use greatly exacerbates.

I'd wager decent money that if it were possible to carve-out trawler-style boats in the statistics, the probability of death/injury are indeed very small. Greatest risk is us old-farts twisting an ankle getting off the boat.

https://www.boatus.com/expert-advice/expert-advice-archive/2015/april/boating-safety-overview

Peter

Last edited:
Agree Peter. Always enjoy your posts. Also think offshore is less stressful to coastal. No hard edges, a mile or two under you, less than one vessel per day to worry about intercepts with.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-12-04 at 7.45.48 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-12-04 at 7.45.48 AM.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 12
there are times when it's preferable to have some sea room rather than be constricted.

Yup, when weather gets ugly, it's good to have options of what direction to move. Had one of those last Friday when a hefty thunderstorm blew up right on top of us with basically no warning. Based on where we were on the trip we were taking, I was only about a mile off shore. Had it been even 6 or 7 miles, the ride for that last leg of the trip would have been a whole lot more comfortable, as I could have just made a quartering down wind run, rather than running about 20* upwind (with a bit more pitching and rolling than was comfortable for anyone on board, plus a soaking wet ride) to gain some room for a downwind run to align with the entrance channel.

Gee whiz, 767 people died while pleasure boating in the US in 2020. Considering the very limited average number of hours recreational boats are used annually that hardly appears "infinitesimally small" especially when compared to automobile use and the associated fatalities. I suspect however that your comment was more testosterone based that factually so no foul. Have a nice day.

No testosterone involved in this one. Boating and water activities in general have risks that are real and should be respected. My comment was directly more at the tenancy that most of us have at times, of overestimating the risk of things that are extremely unlikely to occur. What if my life raft fails? Should I have an extra? Do I need a full case of flares so I won’t run out? Should I armor plate my boat stem in case I encounter unexpected ice?

This thread discusses how much boat is appropriate. My comment was just to suggest that most of us can reliably avoid some of the less likely dangers and don’t have to build a battleship to go cruising.

Last edited:
Guy all too true. Read an article awhile back reporting a significant rate of failures when liferafts are actually deployed. Scared the crap out of me but didn’t go buy a second raft. Just made sure mine was repacked and certified by a reputable dealer and service center for that raft. I do manually blow up the PFDs and wait 18 hours to see if they leak though. But you can’t buy safety.

Your self importance is beyond the pale.

Please explain as I don't quite get how clarification of something I said is "self importance"? I neither required you to agree nor implied I was any more correct than anyone else, as would be difficult with an opinion anyway. Perhaps you didn't get that the last line was meant in jest? If in some way I offended you please accept my apology.

There is a saying about "opinions" that I probably shouldn't repeat here. I think everyone means well here and with only a few exceptions nobody is trying to be a jerk, but that's the problem with written text, you can interpret the tone however you want, even if that is not what the writer intended.

Maybe an emoji would help clarifying meaning.

Yes, owner lives in Montana . Comes to the boat about once every 4-6 weeks. Been a struggle to coordinate his visits with my availability. May loose it to a west coast buyer as logistics are easier for them. Awaiting to hear if he has been successful in importing it so I can buy it, been a struggle to get the admiral to want to do the canal. We’ve shipped boats in the past but that has some risks and difficulties as well. In a holding pattern at present.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom