Best iPad for Navionics?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Even Kiehl

Vessel Name
Even Kiehl
Toss up to post in Electronics/Navigation, this seems like a broader brush, apologies if not posted properly. Never had an iPad, iPad Air or Mini, and staying with Apple so no non Apple suggestions will happen, sorry, just my preference. I plan to get the Navionics app for new cruising grounds around Sequim, WA and beyond. I have some miles I would like to use but not sure what to get, so any thoughts, advice or input appreciated. Was told to get the WiFi+Cellular option.
Thanks, Stuart

Last edited:
I currently use an iPad Air but have used standard iPad also and Navionics works great on either; never used a mini I like the larger screen. I don’t buy the cellular version because I just use a blue tooth gps. The only advantage to the cellular version is it does have built in gps so you don’t need a Bluetooth gps. I currently have a Vesper AIS system and it has built in Bluetooth and works great with Navionics so now my Bluetooth puck GPS is a back up.

Any advantages or not between the Air and iPad? Never had either, thus the questions to those with hands on experience..I don't have Bluetooth GPS, so I guess Cellular is the choice...?
Thanks

I use the iPad Pro for its 12” screen. Have always found bigger is better with chart plotters.

Thanks, am online now seeing the differences between the models, Air, Mini, iPad etc etc...if one has a specific advantage for using Navionics, please chime in, otherwise I am doing my research and no need to cover what I should be doing for my research....

The conclusion to one of the articles I am reading: Air, Mini and iPad, fyi:

We really like the $329 iPad for its functionality and value, but the iPad Mini is our choice for premium tablets (as long as you don't need to use Apple's Smart Keyboard). For just $70 more you step up two generations in hardware, which means much better performance than you'll get on the iPad. You'll have a smaller screen, sure, but like smartphones and phablets, the choice between big and small tablets boils down to taste more than anything else; it's 7.9 inches to 10.2 inches. The iPad Air is also excellent, offering the same performance as the Mini in a larger form factor for $170 more than the regular iPad, with an even bigger screen (10.5 inches).

If you just want an Apple tablet for entertainment and personal use, and size doesn't matter, go with the iPad mini. It's the best of all worlds in the smallest, sleekest package. If you want to save money and don't mind the dip in power, the new iPad is still an excellent value, while the iPad Air offers the best performance you'll get in a full-size iPad without spending $1,000 on an iPad Pro. Of course, if you want to get serious work done, the iPad Pro remains your best bet.

Certainly size is a significant consideration! Easier to see and read a very big deal. Thanks for the reminder...

We have a current iPad Air 10.5 wi-fi only. I was not really happy with bluetooth GPS , it seemed a bit sluggish. Now we use a Bad Elf brand GPS module that plugs into the lighting port. This setup works great. The machine does a great job running both Navionics and Aqua Map. We barely use Navionics anymore because we like the AquaMap so much. I was I could install it on my Simrad.

I love Navionics on the iPad. Please don’t go for the mini. Get the iPad Pro. When you’re navigating a new place you will appreciate the big screen. Don’t go cheap here. I bought the cellular version because I love the built-in GPS. You don’t need to add it to your cellular plan.

Buy the cheapest iPad Pro you can find. Look for an older model since you do not need that much processing power to run Navionics or AquaMaps. If you have a Vesper AIS with WiFi connect the pad to that for your gps signal, if not get a Bluetooth puck type gps. Use the money you save to buy a second pad to run both navigation programs simultaneously. Or use the savings to buy a mount and sun shield.

Navionics has automatic routing, but AquaMaps has the Army Corps of Engineers survey charts for the most up to date maps.

It’s only about a $150 difference between cell and non-cell versions. A Bluetooth gps will be in the neighborhood of $50-150 dollars and one more thing you need to plug in and charge and wonder where you last put it. With gps built in, you can easily take it with you on other boats or land navigation without more hardware. And if you want, you have the flexibility to later activate its cell service.

We have up-to-date Garmin and Time Zero/Furuno electronics onboard. But we still find ourselves using Navionics most often for trip planning. (We always consult multiple chart sources for depths in skinny waters, as we've found varying degrees of reliability in some of our depth-marginal anchorages.)

I agree with the advice to get an iPad Pro.

Also, over two generations of iPad Pro with cellular we had recurrent problems in maintaining connectivity with the internal GPS compass. Intermittently, the GPS would stop working entirely. This was incredibly frustrating for us and hard to understand. After various attempts at diagnosing the problem, we bought a wired GPS antenna for the iPad Pro, and have not had any problems since. I understand that the external antenna should not be necessary, but we just couldn't get a secure connection without it.

Since we use our Ipad as our primary Navigation tool, we spent the extra bucks and went with the large IPAD Pro with max ram. We were gonna trade it in for a new one while home but all the Apple Stores are closed. I like taking it in and they move everything over to the new devise for us. If left up to me, I’d screw something up. The max ram allows us to download all the maps we need and then some. And with the Logitech Keyboard, it is my go to devise for everything. We also have the built in GPS and opted for Cell service.
Just my 2 cents worth.

I have an older version mini on the boat. It's my primary nav tool. I used ram mounts and a lifeproof ipad mounting bracket for installation. (not nuud or fre) I have a USB port in the dash as battery life is a bit short. It stays on the boat.

I have a bad elf but never needed it. Only problem I have noticed is it shuts down if it overheats in bright sun if I use it on the bridge.

I also keep pdf's of all manuals on it. There are no other apps installed so speed is not an issue. I have the latest model mini for personal use such as reading. And then there is my iphone loaded with every known boating app. Weather apps are used the most.

Last edited:
My arthritic hands like our iPad Pro. It's an older unit, but still like it better than my wife's mini for touching screen. My Pro is getting old and my next unit will also be the iPad Pro with biggest screen I can get, with the pen option and a keyboard for at the helm.

Lots to digest, and thanks all for a very educational and learning experience. My immediate take away is larger screen size is better. An extra $100 or so in the long run not a big deal to have a unit I can rely on and learn to use, so cost is certainly a consideration but do not have the mileage to redeem a new iPad Pro, which is not even necessary.
An Air would probably be the right fit, or someone with an older iPad Pro which has cellular and WiFi who is upgrading, if so, please give me a shout. No rush, just gaining knowledge. Have not used AquaMaps, is it popular and used in Pacific NW much? An entirely different subject, but part of my learning curve. Thanks for the assistance.
Cheers, Sturt

First, absolutely spend the extra $129 and get the cellular model. You don’t need to activate the cell service, but the built in GPS just works. All day, every day. And, if you do activate the cell service, it’s $10 a month added to your existing cell plan.

Second, I think either the new plain iPad with the A10 processor or the iPad Air with the A12 processor would be more than enough processing power for Navionics, or anything else you are likely to run. The Air is slightly thinner.

Don’t consider the mini. The screen is too small and it’s always been the poor step child iPad.

The Pro is frankly just overkill for this use. I assume you have a marine chartplotter and will not use the iPad to serve this propose as a primary device? iPads are spectacular at doing supplemental navigation using Navionics, AquaMap or several others alongside the chartplotter, but the hardware is just not suited for sole use if outside. The screen is nowhere near bright enough in sunlight, the screen becomes quite unresponsive if even slightly damp, and you will need to supply it with power full time.

I just did a five day trip, two days offshore, and trusted Aquamap more than my old Raymarine, but the iPad can’t drive the autopilot, among other things.

As for storage size, it depends on just how many navigation applications you plan to install, and how large a charting area you need to download for offline access. 32GB should be more than enough for Navionics and downloaded charts for the entire west coast. It will also give you room for PDF copies of every manual for every item on your boat.

Having said that, get 64GB or 128GB if you plan to store any other data.

Actually, having all of our manuals in one searchable application is almost as useful as navigating. While there are countless options for this, I use GoodReader for this one purpose. While I use Evernote and DEVONThink for other types of file or note management, I find GoodReader spectacular at browsing manuals.

Get a simple case for the back as iPads on boats tend to get tossed around a bit. And a long Lightning charging cable is a must.

And if you really want to have some fun, take the iPad with you the next time you fly, if we ever fly again, wait til you get to cruising altitude and open Navionics or any other navigation app. Sometimes it helps to sit in a window seat for better GPS reception, but seeing your boat going 450 knots is pretty entertaining.

Hi, My posting was based on years of accumulating mileage and why not cash in on something for my "new" boat in Sequim, WA, one which I am buying and have put down 25% and not even seen. Am moving to the area from north of San Francisco and a Trawler Forum member from the same marina checked the boat out for me, what a great help! Sooo, this is new to me and I am absorbing lots of stuff.No, I don't need a new Pro, if someone upgrading it would be a consideration. If no used Pro, then an Air3 which my mileage will cover, then get the needed accessories. The boat does have a GPS, so whatever I get will be supplemental, or become the go to unit, we'll see when I get the boat and the iPad. Never had an iPad before, thus some of my basic questions. Thanks for an informative series of replies, this is a great forum!

I’ve used our iPad Pro for years for a variety of charting apps, when we installed Raymarine Radar and plotter a few years ago everything came to life on the Ipad. I kept using coastal explorer on my laptop, it had ouur travel history and routes for a decade.

I am currently using the coastal explorer beta on the IPad and it is simply the best PC or Pad application I have ever seen, and I’ve only touched the surface. If you know CE check out the IPad version.

Back
Top Bottom