Is the bayside ICW in the Keys viable with a 5’ draft?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

micksbuddy

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
The Old Blue Chair
Vessel Make
Defever 48
It’s been 10+ years since I’ve taken this route, and that was with a 3’ draft. So long as it’s not blowing out of the north, is there a reasonable likelihood of making it from Florida Bay up to Biscayne Bay with a 5’ draft traveling slowly?

With our five foot draft, it got pretty sketchy south of Channel Five. Lots of times the sounder was showing 5ft in the middle of the channel, but never felt a bump.

When we got to Marathon, I had a diver come to switch out some zincs, and when he came up he said "I see you came down on the inside.... your keel is niceley sanded for the first 4 inches or so" .

We took to either going in/out of Channel Five or just using Hawk Channel all the way.

North of Channel Five was not an issue, but I would check the LNMs and your towing company for local knowledge.

What caltexflanc said is good advice for 5' draft. ICM Miami to channel 5, then under the bridge to Hawks Channel West from there. Its good protected water from there to Key West, more direct as well.

:socool:

Last year I took my boat down along with a buddy sailboat that had a 5-ft draft. He didn't seem to have any problems at all

If your keel is below the prop(s), then maybe. If your props are the lowest thing, then dicey.

I've done the backcountry route a few times on my 38' with 3' draw. Prop is lowest thing, so I was on my toes. No problems.

From miami to marathon no problem but it does get shallow around Tavineer Creek. From Marathon to KW go either Atlantic or Gullf. I do this trip quite often with a five foot draft.

From miami to marathon no problem but it does get shallow around Tavineer Creek. From Marathon to KW go either Atlantic or Gullf. I do this trip quite often with a five foot draft.

Went through there yesterday just before high tide. Shallowest areas I saw were between #76 to around #84. Saw lots of 6ft and an occasional 5.5ft.

Yes it gets skinny at low tide I have kissed the bottom and I draw 5 feet but my keel hits first, the bottom is mud in the channel so no problem.

With 5' draft your right on the edge of clearing the bottom.

True at low tide I am kissing the bottom in some places. No big deal, I have a keel and it’s a mud bottom. In the Bahamas I sand the bottom of the keel every trip.

Back
Top Bottom