Batteries

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lots of responses I haven't read, I will link you to two videos from Jeff Cote. I suggest you check out Fireflies. By adding Fireflies you can double what flooded lead acid batteries accomplish in the same space.

This is a short video with Jeff talking about battery equivalents. The pyramid of batteries shows the same electrical amps, so 6 FLA's is the same as 4 AGM's which is the same as 3 Fireflies. If you only have space for four batteries, think about increasing capacity of the battery. The problem with Lithiums is that you are not only looking at the batteries but the "lithium system" as a whole. Fireflies are the closest to lithiums without being lithiums.

This second video is quite long but you will know different batteries and their advantages, this long video is from the last Seattle Boat Show:

We just replaced our three, old, tired 8Ds with 6 12v Fireflys. I planned on a bank of 6Vs big the performance, size, weight, life expectancy and usable Ah for real world cruising. We just finished the project so I don’t have on anchor data yet but we fit 696 Ah in the space where two 8Ds used to live.

Adjustments.jpg

We just replaced our three, old, tired 8Ds with 6 12v Fireflys. I planned on a bank of 6Vs big the performance, size, weight, life expectancy and usable Ah for real world cruising. We just finished the project so I don’t have on anchor data yet but we fit 696 Ah in the space where two 8Ds used to live.

View attachment 103627

What was the cost for these, if you don’t mind sharing?

Don’t mind at all. Batteries were $3,400 USD. I’d say another $300 for cables along with bits and bobs. Another $300 for the battery monitor and auto generator start module.

For comparison’s sake: 6 L-16s were $2,400 so roughly a $1,000 premium for project that should last 3-4X as long and work very well for real work cruising.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom