ASD 2020 Alaska Prep

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Make
1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
So we have decided to prepare ASD as if we are ready to go in 4-5 weeks. If the Canadian/U.S. border opens up, then north we shall go. If not then we stay.

My haul out was cancelled, so the Admiral, Miss Kay, suggested we hire a diver to pull the props. Great idea! Off they came once the diver figured out the STBD side was reverse threads.

The reason I am pulling the props was last year the port side had a little movement on the port prop and I didn't want to risk the props key coming out and spinning the prop. The STBD side had a little ding in it. So that's where that log hit!

I have 2 and 1/4 inch shafts all SS. The cutlass bearings are good. Should get my props back this week. Took them to Sheffield Props in Portland.

Attachments

• thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 82
  • thumbnail (1).jpg
    thumbnail (1).jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 68
  • thumbnail (3).jpg
    thumbnail (3).jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 69
  • thumbnail (4).jpg
    thumbnail (4).jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 71
  • thumbnail (6).jpg
    thumbnail (6).jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 68
  • thumbnail (7).jpg
    thumbnail (7).jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 64
Just curious, how much was your diver and about how long did it take him?

Did ya find out where the slop was?

My port side shaft is left hand thread, took me a while to figure that out...

Those are big wheels, what do they weigh?

pete

Just curious, how much was your diver and about how long did it take him?

Not sure yet. He was down about an hour or so.

Props should be done this week. Diver to re-install and change out zincs. 2 on each shaft and the big square plate on the stern.

Will let you know. Want his number?

Doubt he would be willing to come all the way up to Seattle. More curious what type of rates they run.

So what do you do when you have $500 to spend? Engine oil changes!!! Each engine was given 16qts of fresh oil, filters and tranny oil changes.

Lesson learned: Turn the fuel back on after changing the fuel filters. The engines can't operate with no fuel. I had to bleed one side to get the ol' gal to purrr.

Another lesson when changing fuel filters and oil on the genny. Change the fuel filters, then run the genny for a few minutes. If you change both oil and fuel then it is hard to start the genny as there is no oil pressure and a little air in the fuel lines.

Well so engine room prep is complete. KVH tech coming out today. I hope he can fix it. Now it is time to go to storage and start loading the boat.

John, are you back here in the States? Tom mentioned you had to go through some hoops to get back.

Hi Ken,

Yes, we got back home 2 weeks ago, the journey back across the border was a job! Sorta felt like a refugee, LOL! Glad we didn’t get stuck down south, They are getting serious down there, closing the liquor stores and all!

Cheers

Tom, did ya get the props back yet? And what was the outcome?

Tom, did ya get the props back yet? And what was the outcome?

They are back and installed. They balanced and fixed a small ding. They also fixed a key-way on the port prop as it was a little loose. You could move the prop about an 1/16 of an inch which turned out to the key a little loose on the prop side.

Crap....I have no idea other than the prop fits nice and tight.:socool:

I recieved the below message with regards to the stamped numbers on the props.

Hello Thomas,

We repaired your props in May of 2009. The boat had been hauled out at V J Marine in Pittsburg CA.

They are 25.75” Diameter x 25.6” Pitch / 3 Blades / Bronze* / 2” SAE Tapered Bore

Cheers,

Steve Thomas

Thomas Marine Propeller Inc.

11430 Sunrise Gold Circle Suite 15

Rancho Cordova, CA 95742

PROP SCAN EQUIPPED

Sent: Friday, April 17, 2020 9:46 AM
To: info@thomasmarinepropeller.com
Subject: Prop information Please

Good Morning

I recently pulled my 2 props from my 48 ft Yacht. They have the following Prop Scan numbers:

TMP 3293

TMP 3292

Can you give me any information on these props.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thank you

Tom Teseniar

Packing up ASD. The dinghy has had its checkup and is running great. Now we are getting things on the deck, cleaning and fixing stuff. Kay is sanding and re-staining the back steps and flag poles. I checked the shrimp and crab pots.

The down riggers are still in great condition. So mine are electric and there is a little yellow plastic knob you put on the cable. When this hits the down rigger, it stops automatically. Problem is the little plastic thing would pop off sometimes.

http://scotty.com/product/no-1008-24-yl-yellow-stopper-beads/

Scotty has fixed this issue with this:

http://scotty.com/product/no-375-sure-stop-pro-for-30-downrigger-boom/

The plan right now is to hold in a standby posture and hope the boarder gets open on May 20th. For us, it the closure goes past June 15th, we will stay on the river this summer.

Attachments

• 20200423_155130.jpg
    20200423_155130.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 35
  • 20200423_155139.jpg
    20200423_155139.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 43
  • 20200423_155142.jpg
    20200423_155142.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 33
Is it an option for you and Kay to do the San Juan's and/or Puget Sound if the Canadian border remains closed? I know that involves crossing the bar and running up the coast and back without the payback of BC or AK cruising.

:angel:
Doubt he would be willing to come all the way up to Seattle. More curious what type of rates they run.

Do you need one? I use Dave's every year. Nice guys, excellent work (I think; inspecting the jobsite is a bit awkward.:socool:) Full set of anodes, remove mussels, some touchup scrubbing about$350. 253-222-4645

Tom, Things are moving. Governor has opened community to community travel for locals. Still required to maintain a fathom between folk.

King fishing around Ketchikan has closed Till June 14 for everybody. Can't speak to further North however sounds grim for sport fishing(In you case, subsistance:whistling:)
Have you prepared a bottom fish release pole? You are required to have a system in place to release rock fish incidently caught. for an original Alaskan, these requirements have reached the point of California mentality, conpletely nuts!!!

On your wheel removal and such, I have discovered (Late):blush: that a local diver at a cost of $150.00, will clean the bottom, video if desired, If zinc replacement is added, then the total is $200.00. Given that the bottom paint and zincs were in good condition worthy of another year, the cost of having this done twice a year is surely a smart investment where in prior years, where boat work was not required, a haul out at the boat shop would run $1,200. (In,Out,paint,zincs, labor} You really didn't know the condition of your paint and zincs till a haul out, Now, yes.

Sounds like Kay has the dirty job of varnish. Take a look at my replacement for that evil need. I purchased at Fisherman Supply-Seattle

The brand is Epifanes #14 mahogany, https://www.epifanes.com/page/colors#yacht High gloss

after three years, still as glossy as when I first applied. As neither of our boats have a big amount of wood varnished, the effect is worthy of consideration vs. the constant efforts with varnish. (Don't get me wrong, I am a big fan of others maintaining their boat varnish, particularlly on classics.:hide:)

Best to Kay,

Al-Ketchikan

Last edited:
Is it an option for you and Kay to do the San Juan's and/or Puget Sound if the Canadian border remains closed? I know that involves crossing the bar and running up the coast and back without the payback of BC or AK cruising.

Yeah we thought about it. Still haven't ruled it out, but San Juans and south sound don't do much for us. Same with Desolation Sound, too crowded.

Tom, Things are moving. Governor has opened community to community travel for locals. Still required to maintain a fathom between folk.

King fishing around Ketchikan has closed Till June 14 for everybody. Can't speak to further North however sounds grim for sport fishing(In you case, subsistance:whistling:)
Have you prepared a bottom fish release pole? You are required to have a system in place to release rock fish incidently caught. for an original Alaskan, these requirements have reached the point of California mentality, conpletely nuts!!!

On your wheel removal and such, I have discovered (Late):blush: that a local diver at a cost of $150.00, will clean the bottom, video if desired, If zinc replacement is added, then the total is $200.00. Given that the bottom paint and zincs were in good condition worthy of another year, the cost of having this done twice a year is surely a smart investment where in prior years, where boat work was not required, a haul out at the boat shop would run $1,200. (In,Out,paint,zincs, labor} You really didn't know the condition of your paint and zincs till a haul out, Now, yes.

Sounds like Kay has the dirty job of varnish. Take a look at my replacement for that evil need. I purchased at Fisherman Supply-Seattle

The brand is Epifanes #14 mahogany, https://www.epifanes.com/page/colors#yacht High gloss

after three years, still as glossy as when I first applied. As neither of our boats have a big amount of wood varnished, the effect is worthy of consideration vs. the constant efforts with varnish. (Don't get me wrong, I am a big fan of others maintaining their boat varnish, particularlly on classics.:hide:)

Best to Kay,

Al-Ketchikan

Kay says hi to you and your lovely bride. Well with no cruise ships it should be quiet. Fell sorry for the "True Alaskan" guides that will be loosing out.

Kay does a great job at varnishing. I need to do some "touch up" on my back railing. Stay safe my friend.

Tom, if you and Kay decide not to head across the bar and run north, you always have a cold AA waiting for you in the Tri Cities.

We've put off our CA trip due to the border closing. Too much stuff to get ready and with my chemo treatments I'm locked in here until September. Sucks, but that's life in the big city. We do want to take a trip to AZ to bring back the Whaler but that also may have to wait until September. So, for the time being, we're sitting here twiddling our thumbs.

My friend you will see us this summer if we stay on the river.
Tom, if you and Kay decide not to head across the bar and run north, you always have a cold AA waiting for you in the Tri Cities.

We've put off our CA trip due to the border closing. Too much stuff to get ready and with my chemo treatments I'm locked in here until September. Sucks, but that's life in the big city. We do want to take a trip to AZ to bring back the Whaler but that also may have to wait until September. So, for the time being, we're sitting here twiddling our thumbs.

Back
Top Bottom