ASD 2019 Alaska Cruise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey Crusty,
I always thought the picture of my wife holding the fish was more interesting
than me holding it.

Seemed to be a small disagreement there. lol

Ted

Sitka

We have been docked up in Sitka for the past few days. The excitement is in the air as the big salmon opener is tomorrow. Deck hands running all over the place and skippers yelling at greenhorns. Lots of traffic on the dock. Mixed into all this are the "Yachties!" A term used to describe us recreational cruisers.

We are heading off grid this morning for a few days or so, making our way back to the inside. Kay has become an expert on baking sourdough bread...:thumb:

I have updated the blog with more pics.

Attachments

• IMG_5792.jpg
    IMG_5792.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_5804.jpg
    IMG_5804.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_5876.jpg
    IMG_5876.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_5897.jpg
    IMG_5897.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 43
Yeah, bread is good, but it ain't Klondike Bars! Just kidding. That bread looks pretty darn good.

I haven't checked the blog in a bit. I'll do that now. Travel safely, my friends.

Read the blog, looked at the pics, great blog. I hope you have better luck finding the big salmon.

Last edited:
We are now in Hoonah. Had a great time in the Sitka and Peril Straits. Lot of bears, crab pots and million upon million, upon million horse flies!! (Deer flies here in Alaska). Salmon fishing is almost a non-game. Long liners went out last Monday and Fish and Feathers closed the season down on Thursday. Sad really sad.

Kay and I fished hard for almost 2 weeks and no Chinooks. The famous "Shark Hole" was empty. We did catch other fish, black sea bass, Ling Cod and a few halibut.

We plan to stay here for a few days then head over to Swanson Harbor and finish up our halibut, then start head south.

Here are a few pics until I can get a write-up done.

Attachments

• 66192735_10216982219139067_3195001625756303360_n.jpg
    66192735_10216982219139067_3195001625756303360_n.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 44
  • 66258379_10216982220379098_4593784538903085056_n.jpg
    66258379_10216982220379098_4593784538903085056_n.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 43
As usual, only Kay is holding fish up for photo’s. I tell ya, that Tom is bad Ju-Ju.

Tom, glad you're getting halibut and bottom fish. Kay looks like a pro. Let me know if you go down the west side of Prince of Wales. We've spent a lot of fishing time in that area, especially around Craig. I'll give you some spots to try. Fewer horse flies!:thumb:

Outside and Inside

This took us from Sitka to Hoonah. Took us several days and in some spots, like the south arm of Hoonah Sound, there wasn't another human being for days.

Horse flies have been really bad. It has also been hot and smokey. It would appear all of South Central Alaska is on fire. All the smoke is being pushed south.

Icy Straits proved to be the halibut go-to area. Kay landed a nice one before we pulled into Hoonah. I want much much bigger.

We leave Hoonah tomorrow and will try to limit out on halibut in the next few days. Then we turn south.........

Blog has more info and pics

Attachments

• IMG_5925.jpg
    IMG_5925.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_5949.jpg
    IMG_5949.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_5970.jpg
    IMG_5970.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_6042.jpg
    IMG_6042.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_6074.jpg
    IMG_6074.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 31
Looks like a great trip! ASD at home in Alaska!

Tom, you might try borrowing a fish from Kay just to get your picture taken with it. Some people on TF might actually think you caught it.

The rest of us would know you borrowed it.

Tom, you might try borrowing a fish from Kay just to get your picture taken with it. Some people on TF might actually think you caught it.

The rest of us would know you borrowed it.
That is so cruel. Kay , honey I have a favor to ask.

ROFLMAO, that’s the oldest trick in the book, hold the fish closer to the camera than the holder. Probably was one Kay caught anyway.

ROFLMAO, that’s the oldest trick in the book, hold the fish closer to the camera than the holder. Probably was one Kay caught anyway.
Maybe, but this thing has serious teeth, hence the pliers.

Talked to Tom & Kay last night, they both had a little Buzz going on. There still in Swanson Bay, the crabbing is pretty good and they went trolling for salmon. As usual, Tom got skunked but the Queen brought home Two nice salmon.
Good thing Kay is so good at catching fish, if they relied on Tom, pretty sure they would starve.

It works pretty much the same on our boat. Tina gets fish, I get skunked.

Correction, she got 3 salmon, Tom zero. We just rounded Pt.Retreat, our most northern point and are now heading south to Taku Harbor, by passing Juneau.20190719_105813.jpeg20190717_145900.jpeg

Tom, you should hang onto Kay......she keeps you in the fish.:thumb:

We are currently on weather hold for Clearance Straits. Fri day looks good. Post some picks when we get there. Monday was an interesting and awesome day.

We are currently on weather hold for Clearance Straits. Fri day looks good. Post some picks when we get there. Monday was an interesting and awesome day.

Still stuck in Wrangell. Weather turned to crap in Clarence Straits. NOAA states 4 ft seas at 2 seconds. Windy on the other hand is stating 1 ft waves. So who do you trust. Not many places to get out of the weather once you enter Clarence other than Myers Chuck and with weather like this the Inn would be full.

The plan is to leave tomorrow for K-Town, get some chores done and try for a Tuesday crossing of Dixon Entrance. At lease that is the plan.

Still stuck in Wrangell. Weather turned to crap in Clarence Straits. NOAA states 4 ft seas at 2 seconds. Windy on the other hand is stating 1 ft waves. So who do you trust. Not many places to get out of the weather once you enter Clarence other than Myers Chuck and with weather like this the Inn would be full.

I think I'd trust NOAA, but that's my primary. And you're right. Heading for Ketch out of Wrangell, after Meyers there's no place to hide. And the confluence of Clarence and Behm Canal can be a snotfest of confused seas.

The plan is to leave tomorrow for K-Town, get some chores done and try for a Tuesday crossing of Dixon Entrance. At lease that is the plan.

Ratz harbor is a good place to duck into for cover when Southerlies kick up in Clarence Strait. Just did so a couple of days ago.

I think I'd trust NOAA, but that's my primary. And you're right. Heading for Ketch out of Wrangell, after Meyers there's no place to hide. And the confluence of Clarence and Behm Canal can be a snotfest of confused seas.

Ignorant question, but isn’t the NOAA information based on real observations and buoys and Windy is forecast?

Ignorant question, but isn’t the NOAA information based on real observations and buoys and Windy is forecast?
Good question. We made it to K-Town today. Long day....

Good question. We made it to K-Town today. Long day....

Did Clarence moderate a little for you as you travelled down? Be sure to call Al when you're in Ketch. I bet he'll bring something cold down to your boat, with the familiar letters AA.:thumb:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom