Anyone Know What This Is For?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

menzies

Guru
Vessel Name
SONAS
Vessel Make
Grand Alaskan 53
One clue; it is to deal with a South Korean issue!

Attachments

• DSC_9453.jpg
    DSC_9453.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 158
Ship salvage?? Bridge construction???

Chainsaw - headed for Brunswick, GA?

Golden Ray salvage in Brunswick, Ga.

Was just there but back to Ft Pierce.

Waiting fo my friend to announce cutting operations so I can go visit.

Yes, the rig that is going to cut the Golden Ray into pieces and lift it. It is currently tied up behind us in Fernandina. It is taking up the whole channel and more! Luckily there is plenty of depth for boats to get around it.
Seems the crew has been hit by COVID so things have come to a halt for now.

plus the salvage command halted operations till after hurricane season...but ya never know what influence changes schedules.....

You would think that holding until after hurricane season would mean they would keep it out of Florida - especially if it is eventually needed in GA.

Suspect lower cost!

You would think that holding until after hurricane season would mean they would keep it out of Florida - especially if it is eventually needed in GA.

Suspect lower cost!

Not at all.... it was being retrofitted for the salvage, and then the season neared peak.

Jack might have a different opinion but sitting there as opposed to the gulf that has had 2 stikes already seemed like a wise gamble.

I am not sure there was any place in Brunswick for it to sit so Fernandina sounded like a wise choice.

One clue; it is to deal with a South Korean issue!

The whole island is anxiously awaiting the arrival of this monster. Keep in mind that no building on St Simons is taller than 45’ or so. This thing is what, 270’ tall?

I was speaking with one of the crew from T&T the other day and he told me that they were all briefed to expect a significant number of fires during each slice. And the stuff catching on fire won’t be pleasant. And they can’t stop cutting a slice once they start, so fire or no, the process must continue.

Keep in mind that this has never been done before. Yes, ships have been sliced, but using cables. This process uses a huge chain. How huge? Well, you can’t lift a single link. It’s going to be a very violent and very messy process.

There will be a stew of gas, oil, brake fluid, coolant, battery acid, AC coolant, and more, and that’s just from the cars. Add in hundreds of ship systems with their fluids and it kind of boggles the mind. Oh, and the 30,000-50,000 gallons of bunker fuel remaining on the ship. Yep, it’s gonna be a grand old time...

https://youtu.be/j2NazOQmJPw

That's a video on how the operation is supposed to work if anyone is interested. I needed the visual to understand the rig.

Thanks, shared that with my photo this morning,.

That shows seven sections, from what I read i think they are going with six sections this time.

As far as I know they are not removing the cars first.

I think the estimate is one full cut per 24hrs.

Thanks. And does anyone know if this is their original plan, just running a year or more late? Or has that plan been forgotten, and a new one slipped in?

And was it a fixed price job, or a good old bait and switch?

Years ago on Lake Pleasant in Arizona they built a new dam to enlarge the lake. The old dam was concrete. They built the new dam downstream from the old dam. When the lake was filling they did something similar to this idea. They made a huge bandsaw and used a diamond encrusted cable to saw down into the dam in 2 places and then toppled the cut section downstream. It worked as advertised. Then they finished raising the lake and submerged the old dam. The only problem is that the lake literally goes up and down over 100’ most years. When the lake is way down the old dam can be submerged only a foot or two. The idiots that don’t follow the bouys marking the cutout hit the dam and the dam doesn’t give. Their lower units sometimes have been ripped off the boats. As time has gone by it happens less either because people have learned or the real idiots have all sunk their boats. I guess a boating Darwin theory...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom