Anyone For A Fleming!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For a semi displacement hull the Fleming is very efficient at displacement speeds because it doesn’t carry too much weight in the stern. As others have said, I think the lower CofG is a price worth paying with the low height of the engine room and if they put more modest engines in it wouldn’t be as big an issue. I know they fiddled with them a bit but keeping close to the original design helps when it comes to sorting snags. The main gripe I have heard about Flemings is from boat detailers who hate the moulded in grooves in the hull. If I had the money I would get a 58 with JDs in it. Unfortunately I don’t have have money.

Simply sit in the salon, try too look out the window's NOT! Next Boat Show, you will say, "that guy was right"! The seats are to low! Sorry, "we will not change."

This is true, third stateroom! We would like to make into an office, "that is not available! You can change it after delivery."

That is a quote given to the owner of OUTER REEF! That's why he got into the boat building business!

IMO, Jim

I have no issues with the seat height or window height.

And several 55’s have been made with the third state room converted into an office.

There’s quite a bit of customization that can be done. For example one couple did raise the height of the bench at the pilot house chart table. Another had a built in to store their exercise bike in the master state room. Etc etc

Last edited:
Always loved the 55. Anything bigger I can't keep at my marina and I can't afford anyway.

Cons: Master is in the V. When it's windy at anchor you know that's got to be loud. Or when underway - nobody's sleeping in.

Guest cabins - My boat only has 2 cabins but the master is amidship and the VIP is in the bow but I think my VIP has more room than their master. We bought it used but figured a bunk bed cabin wouldn't get much use anyway.

But yes I'd still like to have one :)

The master is quite quiet in the 55. I have never heard chain or wave slap, in 20 plus knot winds. Having spent many nights each on the 55, 65 and the 78 (the VIP cabin) sleeping in the bow, they were all very quiet. Is anyone else saying it’s loud commenting from actual experience or just speculating? I also like opening the hatch and getting ventilation. If I was on the east coast I’d be running a/c anyway so why not midship?

The problem with the midship layout on the Fleming, or any other boat, is the curved steeper stairs, plus the stair entry is moved to where the chart table is at the helm. Trade offs. But I wouldn’t want steeper stairs. At the size of the 78 that’s not an issue and the owners stateroom also has stairs off the salon. But the 58 and 65, I prefer the gentler steps of the traditional layout.

I think Steve - or someone - wrote an article about a trip with Tony where they said basically this was the boat that proved the forward stateroom was suitable to sleep in in rough weather.

I agree that the master cabins are smaller than most other boats with the same LOA, but that’s because they are narrower and lower. (Trade offs for handling). I personally really like the 55 master, and in some ways prefer it to the 65, as that has two steps instead of one into the bed, though it’s bed is a full queen not tapered. It’s definitely more spacious but for me not materially.

Last edited:
Though I can absolutely see someone preferring a midship master. A low walk around regular queen would be much easier. No steps up in to it. If on centerline underway less pitching by definition. The tradeoff though is steeper stairs. Pilothouse entry. Ventilation. Natural light. Tough call. Bit bigger master bathroom. I’m just commenting I’ve never really heard noise at anchor. Having been on then I’m not sure which I’d pick. If I was on a/c all the time midship master. The extra step up into the 65 bed sort of offsets the steeper steps down to the cabin level. Wow. Really tough call. As we don’t run at night.

Last edited:
Though I can absolutely see someone preferring a midship master. A low walk around regular queen would be much easier. No steps up in to it. If on centerline underway less pitching by definition. The tradeoff though is steeper stairs. Pilothouse entry. Ventilation. Natural light. Tough call. Bit bigger master bathroom. I’m just commenting I’ve never really heard noise at anchor. Having been on then I’m not sure which I’d pick. If I was on a/c all the time midship master. The extra step up into the 65 bed sort of offsets the steeper steps down to the cabin level. Wow. Really tough call. As we don’t run at night.

Flemings are magnificent but I really hanker after an Offshore 54($) or a 62 ($$$)

Back
Top Bottom