American Tug 395, hull #12...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Great stuff, Bruce. I bet there's a prolonged crescendo in the build process that reaches its peak at the launch and delivery.

Great job. Keep those pictures flowing!

Great stuff, Bruce. I bet there's a prolonged crescendo in the build process that reaches its peak at the launch and delivery.

Great job. Keep those pictures flowing!

I am sure!
We should be there as the boat is finished (send condolences to the poor people at Tomco!), I will report on the activities.
Bruce

A fresh batch, they're coming hot and heavy now!
We are in Napa Valley heading north. Can't wait...
Bruce

Attachments

• IMG_0793.jpg
    IMG_0793.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_0792.jpg
    IMG_0792.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_0791.jpg
    IMG_0791.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 200
  • IMG_0790.jpg
    IMG_0790.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_0794.jpg
    IMG_0794.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 213
  • IMG_0795.jpg
    IMG_0795.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 193
  • IMG_0796.jpg
    IMG_0796.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 192
As we get close to delivery of our boat, there are more and more pictures of progress. We found this picture on the American Tugs blog...not our usual site where pictures of progress are made available. https://americantugsandtrawlers.com
This beautiful inlay will reside inside the "stack".
We weren't expecting it and we both love it!
Bruce

Attachments

• IMG_0281.jpg
    IMG_0281.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:
Bruce, i see someone recommended going through Deception pass. it has an ebb and flow where the current can reach about 8 kts, which can be pretty exciting! Your tug will be able to handle this but of course you can check tide predictions before you approach, and its a beautiful pass.
Not far from there, i would also recommend a stop in Anacortes; very nice little town & marina.
I must echo others in that I love your hull color.

Bruce, i see someone recommended going through Deception pass. it has an ebb and flow where the current can reach about 8 kts, which can be pretty exciting! Your tug will be able to handle this but of course you can check tide predictions before you approach, and its a beautiful pass.
Not far from there, i would also recommend a stop in Anacortes; very nice little town & marina.

Thanks for the heads up!
We love the color too and we're down to less than three weeks till launch!
Bruce

We're getting close to launch day!
Just about 3 weeks now and things are moving nicely. The first picture is a close up of the compass rose in the stack.
Then there is the re-vamped instrument panel that will hold our 2 Garmin 8617 displays. I had to hold my breath and jump up and down to get them to agree to this change. Mission accomplished!
Bruce

Attachments

• 48c28de3990d5a4c10c6dc79e848f862e1045600.jpg
    48c28de3990d5a4c10c6dc79e848f862e1045600.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 136
  • 07f66226868acb326b8c51db799d165d8de94ebf.jpg
    07f66226868acb326b8c51db799d165d8de94ebf.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 132
Without intending to begin yet another anchor conversation, I will post a picture of our new Manson Supreme 45 pound anchor.
We switched from our trusty CQR to one of these on our last boat and loved it!!!
Then there is a picture of the white boot stripe in Awlgrip.
Finally, last but not least is our Veem 28x27 1/2 VeemStar propeller.
Very shiny!
Can't wait!
P.S. We have our boat set up for 2 anchors. We intend to use a Fortress as the second anchor...

Attachments

• 2cef63364e2922a72f1d9df8b4bf09674b004b5d.jpg
    2cef63364e2922a72f1d9df8b4bf09674b004b5d.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 133
  • 84841f01365e6380fbfdbcad42c1ea911e7efb0a.jpg
    84841f01365e6380fbfdbcad42c1ea911e7efb0a.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 145
  • 7ee87aa5ee209d87e3c4192a082ef35e0ee747a4.jpg
    7ee87aa5ee209d87e3c4192a082ef35e0ee747a4.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 137
Hi BruceI note that you are installing a 5 blade prop on your new build. I am having a 38 Helmsman built. Should take delivery about the third week of April. I chose to have a 5 blade for the 480 hp Cummins, hoping to get better performance. Speed and fuel. Did you have specific reasons for your choice of the 5 blade?

wrwahl- you selected a 5 blade for the 6.7 L Cummins 480 HP- not the 550 HP?? Interested in your results- upon launch. Likewise with Bruce B..sorry did not intend to hijack thread.

Hi BruceI note that you are installing a 5 blade prop on your new build. I am having a 38 Helmsman built. Should take delivery about the third week of April. I chose to have a 5 blade for the 480 hp Cummins, hoping to get better performance. Speed and fuel. Did you have specific reasons for your choice of the 5 blade?

The quick answer is that during a delivery of a sister ship I noticed a vibration/harmonic that bothered me. When I asked the manufacturer I was told that it was a result of the 4 blade propeller where the even number of blades behind the keel leads to the harmonic I felt.
Between the additional windage associated with the flybridge and the harmonic we decided to spec the boat with the larger 480 hp engine and the 5 blade propeller.

I will let you know how it all works in a few weeks!
Bruce

We took out Swift 44 through Deception Pass and when I hit the current I definitely felt it! Was an odd feeling but the boat handled it just fine. Beautiful area!IMG_7913.JPG

Well, we are finally here in LaConner!
We spent some time at the factory yesterday seeing our boat and it is awesome. Pictures do not do this boat justice. I remember being drawn to the first American Tug I saw, a boat in our marina back home, by construction details and as we climbed aboard our boat for the first time that is what I noticed most. Having spent my life in the business of maintaining European autos, I have developed an interest in how things are built and what it takes to get something apart to repair it. These boats just abound in details that might not be seen by many...
From a reveal that easily disassembles for future access to wiring to the way wiring is run and terminated, this boat is nicely put together.
There is simply an amazing amount of thought put into detail by these people.

Of course there are features that we like, color choices we made and equipment we chose that we are beginning to see installed on the boat.
Walking around the factory and seeing it all coming together is amazing. We listened to stories about the designer of the series, Lynn Senour, the history of the company and its principals, learned about some of people working on our boat, saw and better understood how the composit materials for the floors are vacuum bagged and even got one of the most enlightening descriptions of how a semi displacement hull designs work at different speeds.

Our boat is, amazingly, still on time based on estimates discussed last year in June.
Bruce

Attachments

• IMG_0293.jpg
    IMG_0293.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 184
Looking good! Those are some serious casters on that dolly if they can move it around with the weight of the boat on them.

Ted

Great looking boat. Sorry about the weather. It has been very wet thus month, even by PNW standards.

Glad everything is on schedule. No reason for builders not being able to meet their schedules.

A fresh batch, they're coming hot and heavy now!
We are in Napa Valley heading north. Can't wait...
Bruce

What kind of wood was used for the siding battens in the third picture?

L.

What kind of wood was used for the siding battens in the third picture?

L.

Do you mean the ceilings? They are maple.
I believe that this is the standard on this model although you can substitute the darker Sapele that is used for the rest of the interior if you prefer.
We kind of liked the lighter color of the maple...
Bruce

Do you mean the ceilings? They are maple.
I believe that this is the standard on this model although you can substitute the darker Sapele that is used for the rest of the interior if you prefer.
We kind of liked the lighter color of the maple...
Bruce

Thank you Bruce, was thinking about maple but was not sure. The forward part of my boat is covered with an ugly light grey carpet and I want to remove this and redo it using wood battens so I am currently thinking about the wood I will use so my question.

I have some lovely ash ceiling stock that we milled up for a project that never happened...it even has 3 coats of varnish on it. It'd make a hell of a nice start on replacing that carpet!
Bruce

If I was your neighbor I would just jump to see them but I guess I am a bit far and on the other side of the border :) I am looking at getting some 1/2x2 battens or something like that. Not sure which wood yet, will depend on the price and availability here. By the way your new boat is really looking good lucky you!

Incredible looking boat Bruce!
That thing is awesome!
Just beautiful.....

This boat is very cool! I really want to buy a 34 and see if they will extend it 12' so I can make a fishing boat out of it...

Yours looks awesome.

There is so much happening so quickly now that we haven't taken many pictures. Here are a couple just so that people are not too disappointed.
Bruce

Attachments

• IMG_1026.jpg
    IMG_1026.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 221
  • IMG_1022.jpg
    IMG_1022.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 205
Bruce and Dorsey, many thanks for the beautiful photos. Sincere compliments!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom