America Flag That Last

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Remember that the inches per foot rule is just a yachting thing.... ships don't follow the rule as it is impractical.

If its respectable and respected, like on warships...its good enough for me. They even have 2 sizes, one for every day use and the other for special occasions like battle or holidays...

On many boats a large flag gets tangled up dirty, and quickly worn if it cant fly without hitting things...to me thats worse than flying one thats a bit smaller than " yacht club sized".

Though the "recommended" size is nice if your boat can have it.

Last edited:
they all last a lot longer if taken in when the weather is bad...and flags should never fly between sundown and sunrise unless lit.

I agree. This is, IMHO, what leads to the premature lifespan of a flag. I see many boats that fly their colors for months on end, even if the boat is sitting unoccupied in a marina.

IMHO, strike the colors at sunset, and when the boat is unoccupied, or during high winds, and the flag will last significantly longer.

If not, then just get used to replacing it on a regular basis. On that note, I see a lot of tattered colors which continue to get flown.

The United States Flag Code, Title 4, Section 8k states-“The flag, when it is in such condition that it is no longer a fitting emblem of display, should be destroyed in a dignified way, preferably by burning.”

IMHO "no longer a fitting emblem of display" means faded or torn.

Back in the day, when Navy ships had sail lofts, the Bosun Mates used to stitch two together for the Quartermasters to fly. Called them "steaming ensigns or pennants" depending.

Seemed to take a fair bit of abuse in open ocean environments when the winds can bury the anemometer.

Last edited:
When I retired, my daughter gave me a cotton USA flag flown over the US Capitol on the day I retired. After a year, it was shredding so she sent me a nylon one that was flown over the Capitol. That one has lasted for many years in the moderate climes with my covered slip in Northern CA.

From now on, it's only US made and quality nylon or better.

If your US flag is tattered but the canton is still in good shape, it might be nice to send it to these folks.
Donate

Back
Top Bottom