airtronic d5 heater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

magna 6882

Guru
Vessel Name
Intrepid
Vessel Make
North Pacific/ NP-45 Hull 10
I have two of these and one has historically been a little fickle about running. After a few months of sitting we went to the boat check on things and the one heater didnt want to fire. The fist thing i checked was if it was getting fuel which it wasnt so i went to the fuel/dosing pump and found it not clicking.Thinking a dead pump and moving toward checking power i gave it a tap with the flashlight and it started clicking and the unit fired. I came home and ordered a new pump.

My question is can extended sitting cause these pumps to be sticky? I am wondering if i should replace the pump or keep the new one as a spare if the unit continues to run good?

I have two of these and one has historically been a little fickle about running. After a few months of sitting we went to the boat check on things and the one heater didnt want to fire. The fist thing i checked was if it was getting fuel which it wasnt so i went to the fuel/dosing pump and found it not clicking.Thinking a dead pump and moving toward checking power i gave it a tap with the flashlight and it started clicking and the unit fired. I came home and ordered a new pump.

My question is can extended sitting cause these pumps to be sticky? I am wondering if i should replace the pump or keep the new one as a spare if the unit continues to run good?

Actually, I’d keep the old one as an emergency spare. If the heater has been intermittent the pump may have been sticky for some time.

It could have been low voltage at the glow plug. The control unit won't call for fuel until the glow plug has heated.

Bruce

Hi,

it might be a good idea to use the heater every couple of months to keep it in shape for 15 minutes at full power, even if you don't need to heat the boat.

As I recall, the user manual mentions this, i remember.

I would keep the old one in use and the new one as a spare part, it's quick to change if needed.

NBs

Hi,

it might be a good idea to use the heater every couple of months to keep it in shape for 15 minutes at full power, even if you don't need to heat the boat.

As I recall, the user manual mentions this, i remember.

I would keep the old one in use and the new one as a spare part, it's quick to change if needed.

NBs
I think your right about running these things. We have been out of this area since december and just got back. I also ordered some service parts along with the pump and discovered just how hard these parts are to come by.Everything coming from the uk. US supplies seem limited. Glad i found out now as apposed to needing service parts in a hurry. Still close to the end of march for delivery.

I have had good luck with Espar of Michigan, they almost always have the Espar parts I have needed. They even found a NOS Espar hydronic unit for me last fall to replace my worn out unit

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom