Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-26-2016, 09:15 PM   #1
City: Skagway
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 1
Question Advice on 1978 Puget Trawler or similar

I am buying a 78 Puget Trawler 37 foot with single Ford Lehman 120 engine. I have limited haul out time and limited shopping options so anyone know what zincs are typically used on the hull and what size prop(left hand of right) and zinc so I can have them ready for the haul out? Any photos of this type of hull out there? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

SailorSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 09:31 PM   #2
janice142's Avatar
City: St. Pete, FL
Country: USofA
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Vessel Model: Schucker mini-trawler
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,044
Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142
Welcome... and congratulations on your new vessel.

As for the size, most boatyards have zincs in all sizes available for purchase. Otherwise, go to Discount Marine and Boat Supplies - Inflatable Sales - Defender and buy them there. Inexpensive, fast shipping and they don't gouge you on postage. No tax either since you're in Michigan.

Good luck. Etc.

And congratulations.

Janice aboard Seaweed, living the good life afloat...
janice142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 09:51 PM   #3
TDunn's Avatar
City: Maine Coast
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Tortuga
Vessel Model: Nunes Brothers Raised Deck Cruiser
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 886
I imagine that the only zincs you have to worry about will be the shaft zinc and possibly a zinc on the rudder. You can measure the shaft inside the boat and rudder zincs usually are round with a 1/4" thru bolt. As far as the prop goes you are going to have to wait until you are hauled out to find the diameter and pitch (it should be stamped on the hub). I imagine it is a right hand on a single. A right hand prop will walk the boat to port in reverse.
TDunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 11:02 PM   #4
koliver's Avatar
City: Saltspring Island
Country: BC, canada
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,479
On my trawler I use shaft zincs, for which you need to know the shaft diameter, rudder zincs, for which you need to know where the zinc attaches, so that you don't get one that wont sit flat against the rudder, and a pair of hull zincs to which the bonding wires attach on the inside. The hull zincs I use are 6" square by 1/2" thick.
If you know that your moorage has no stray current in the water you may get away with less, but then, somebody new moves in and your zincs are gone in 4 months.
koliver is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:26 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012