Old 07-09-2018, 01:56 PM   #21
Guru

City: Bay Saint Louis, Mississippi, (or where the anchor drops)
Vessel Model: 1973 42 Bertram MY
Quote:
Originally Posted by charles View Post
An Opinion was requested so, Kemah, Tx. to New Orleans was mentioned as bad.
I have transited that portion of the ICW for many years and many times and have always noted that it is a grand section of the ICW, really neat with so many homes and things to see and divert to on the trip. I mentioned one time, giving a seminar on the Gulf ICW that it is a DESTINATION and not a way to get somewhere and received an ovation! These people knew!
It is replete with many commercial tows and many pleasure boaters don't like that, but one must keep in mind that the ICW, both of them, were not built for pleasure but for transport of goods.

Personally I prefer to be in the company of most commercial tows as opposed to many pleasure boaters as I KNOW what the tows will do (or will not) but certainly not the case with many pleasure boaters.

As far as a portion of the Atlantic coast not being great would be the inside route north of Cape May, NJ, there again only an opinion.
We did see a dead cow stuck in the mud, so there is that.

Old 07-09-2018, 01:56 PM   #22
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ and Englewood, FL
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Since no one mentioned it yet, Lake Okeechobee proper. Around the rim is fine. Out in the open is either smooth or horrible with nothing to look at but burning sugar cane field smoke and chocolate brown water.

High Wire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 02:11 PM   #23
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Wifey B: Seeing the above Kemah to NOLA rebuttal reminds me why we don't have a candidate for this as every area has it's good and it's bad and we all have different tastes. Some is better for cruising and some better for sightseeing. Open seas and canals. I like each place's uniqueness, too. Just can't call any "worst" places.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 02:31 PM   #24
Guru

City: Ingleside-On-The-Bay, Texas
Vessel Name: Papillon
Vessel Model: 1978 Mainship 34 Trawler #95
Cedar Key FL to St Marks Lighthouse against a Norther gusting to 35 mph. Just under 200 miles of shallow water. At 7 knots it took almost two days.

We met two girls that had sailed across,we motored, and arrived 24 hours earlier than us. They were still scared stiff and shaking 24 hours later. About ready to give up the dream.
jimisbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 02:33 PM   #25

City: Amelia Island FL
Vessel Name: Bar Hopper
Vessel Model: 1981 Present Trunk Trawler
Worst Transit

Onboard USS Independance CV-62 in the North Atlantic, we entered a storm that had waves crashing on top of the flight deck 90 feet above the water. Sea Leggs didnt do much good that day !!
captain.pappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 02:37 PM   #26
Guru

City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Four years ago in April bringing our newly purchased boat in Florida back to Maryland, we encountered the waters of St. Andrews Sound. We were advised that, because of the current and wind direction, high winds from the north, we could expect six foot waves at a critical turn in the channel. We pounded through the sound through three and four-foot waves until the turn when we got the 6-footers. When we made the turn to the west we began taking waves directly on our starboard beam. We had no choice but to stay our course because to stray would have meant running aground. The channel is very narrow there. The boat performed terrifically in the heavy water. She took very little water over the bow so our visibility was pretty good. It was all okay, just very rough, until we took a big one directly on our beam. We never saw it coming. We rolled 20 - 30 degrees. Tools, coffee maker, refrigerator contents, lots of stuff went flying. The icemaker flew out of its housing. That wave hit the boat with a very loud BANG. Sounded like Thor's Hammer.

We finally docked in Brunswick alongside a Mainship 43 which had taken the same route. The Mainship captain piloted his boat from the fly bridge because he was taking so much water over his bow and onto the lower helm windscreen that he couldn't see. They had an even more difficult trip that we.
catalinajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 02:37 PM   #27
Guru

City: Canaveral
Bodega Bay. The A-hole fishermen did it in for me.
makobuilders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 02:49 PM   #28

City: Beaufort, NC
Vessel Name: Shangri-La
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42 Classic
Eat Life -

As an avid hunter and fisherman, I found the OP comment curious. Many days afield include bugs, snow, getting beat up on the water in a small boat, no fish, sore butt - no deer wander by. And every minute is exhilarating.

We've done that Alligator River stretch, Okeechobee (a candidate for sure) and much more. Yet for us, even being offshore out of sight of land in the Atlantic or the Great Lakes it's all so fresh, so free. Maybe we're just too new to be ranking geography in this amazing journey we love so much. . .
NightCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 02:54 PM   #29

City: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmarchand View Post
The Georgia ICW gets my vote for the most mindless, unscenic place to cruise. Miles and miles of salt grass as far as the eye can see, no civilization, and switchback after switchback which makes the trip twice as long.
Our first time (of about 25 trips) down the ICW, after miles of switchbacks in the Georga grass my wife said, "Every now and then I look back and think I see our stern passing our bow!"

I still love every mile of the trip.
MOJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 03:16 PM   #30
Guru

As I read thru these I realize my first post had an equal but shorter passage, Oyster Bay to Great Pt Hope in Mobile Bay. About 20 miles straight into a raging Norther with every other wave going over the bow. Got my most treasured compliment when I was tying up and two Commercial fishermen that had watched my ordeal as I rounded the bouy into the harbor thru binoculars came up and complemented me on my seamanship. That compliment was worth the 4 hours of hell.
Old 07-09-2018, 03:29 PM   #31
Guru

City: St Augustine,Fl
Quote:
Originally Posted by charles View Post
An Opinion was requested so, Kemah, Tx. to New Orleans was mentioned as bad.
I have transited that portion of the ICW for many years and many times and have always noted that it is a grand section of the ICW, really neat with so many homes and things to see and divert to on the trip. I mentioned one time, giving a seminar on the Gulf ICW that it is a DESTINATION and not a way to get somewhere and received an ovation! These people knew!
It is replete with many commercial tows and many pleasure boaters don't like that, but one must keep in mind that the ICW, both of them, were not built for pleasure but for transport of goods.

Personally I prefer to be in the company of most commercial tows as opposed to many pleasure boaters as I KNOW what the tows will do (or will not) but certainly not the case with many pleasure boaters.

As far as a portion of the Atlantic coast not being great would be the inside route north of Cape May, NJ, there again only an opinion.
Where you been hiding Charles? Haven't seen you posting for a while..
Old 07-09-2018, 05:54 PM   #32
Guru

City: Miami River
Vessel Name: Gotcha
Vessel Model: Grand Banks. Heritage. 54
It is called Dismal for a reason, some make like dismal others the Bahamas.

Jack (Steve) where have you been? We drank some of your Budweiser in the Bahamas. It was good.
Bigsfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 08:20 PM   #33
Guru

I have 2 nominees

1. The Miserable Mile--the no wake/manatee zone near the junction of the Caloosahatchee and the ICW between Ft Myers and Pine Island. NEVER saw a single manatee in the channel (possibly due to the nice grassy bottomed shallow area immediately north of it!!)

2. Carrabelle Fl to Cedar Key at ~8kts. Throw in 3-5 ft seas and thunderstorms, no cell or VHF coverage, nor sight of anything in any direction but stormy skies and seas for the better part of a full day.
twiisted71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 08:52 PM   #34
Veteran Member

City: Annapolis MD
Vessel Name: Snowbird
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 32
1. Delaware Bay - Currents, steep seas, green head flies. Unfit for human habitation and it reminds you so.

2. Manasquan Inlet - currents, steep seas, rock jetties, inconsiderate boaters, fishermen jeering, a drawbridge just inside that was designated a hazard to navigation.

I agree that the A&C canal is dull but I find it less scary, even with the barges, than the two I’ve listed.

— Tom
tomdove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 09:54 PM   #35
Guru

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by twiisted71 View Post
I have 2 nominees

2. Carrabelle Fl to Cedar Key at ~8kts. Throw in 3-5 ft seas and thunderstorms, no cell or VHF coverage, nor sight of anything in any direction but stormy skies and seas for the better part of a full day.

Yes as I stated earlier (post #25) when I mentioned Cedar Key to St Marks Lighthouse, shallow water,cant see land in any direction but DOWN, and goes on forever.

Thats two votes for this route.....LOL
Old 07-09-2018, 10:17 PM   #36

City: Marathon, FL
Vessel Name: Conchy Tonkin'
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Labelle 44
Ours was definitely 14 foot seas on a passage from Rodriguez Key to South Riding Rocks in the Bahamas. Forecast was 2’-3’. Spray flying over our fly bridge Bimini top, 18’ above the water. I quickly learned how unsecure some things were and had to crawl on hands and knees to lash items down. Husband had to use a trash can to pee at the helm. Dogs kept trying to escape to the bow to get to their “pee pad”. Hubby still brags that he got delivered lunch at the helm in that piece of hell. Learned a LOT about forecasts that trip.
n3qtrtme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 05:58 PM   #37
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post
... where was the absolutely worse place you have transited on a cruise.

Ours was today when we came through the Alligator River and Pungo River Canal (A&P Canal).

That place is boring, ugly and I would even say dead. We saw minimal signs of any life at all - even birds. And the mega tug-barge combos running it are downright scary.

AND we have to do it again in a couple of months.
No, you don't have to do it again, ever. Go down the Pamlico. Stop and enjoy Manteo. Anchor in Silverlake for a few days and enjoy Ocracoke. Live a little!

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 06:03 PM   #38
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmarchand View Post
The Georgia ICW gets my vote for the most mindless, unscenic place to cruise. Miles and miles of salt grass as far as the eye can see, no civilization, and switchback after switchback which makes the trip twice as long.

But some like the solitude. Not me!

David
One of our very favorite cruising grounds. Walburg Creek, Table Point, Duplin River.. some of our favorite multi-day anchorages, among others. What was your big hurry? Take a car if it's all about Point A to Point B!
Plus, you can go in and out all the various inlets if there are sections to skip.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
Old 07-10-2018, 06:08 PM   #39
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Ooops. Deleted post belonging to another thread.
Old 07-10-2018, 06:52 PM   #40
Guru

OK, we always enjoy cruising anywhere, but some places are "one and dones" AKA "been there and done that" :

NC ICW, as much as is easily avoidable.
FL ICW pretty much everything from JAX to MIA, and Channel Five to Key West (though draft figures in there a bit)
As previously mentioned, the Okeechobee Waterway in its entirety.
Texas ICW from Galveston to Rockport.

When we lived out west, I actively disliked San Pablo Bay, but it is the only way from SF Bay to get to a bunch of places we really like. Pamlico Sound is its sister in NC. Might have to throw the Great South Bay of LI in there too.