Old 12-19-2018, 08:55 PM   #41
Guru

City: East Coast
Vessel Name: M/V Maerin
Vessel Model: Solo 4303
Quote:
Originally Posted by friz View Post
Bravo Zulu! Well put. God bless capitalism and Jeff. He did an outstanding service for us and now has one beautiful boat he deserves. A couple of things I am unhappy about though, roasted brussel sprouts and the demise of Taking Paws.

TakingPaws

Reports of a demise may be premature?

Maerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 09:02 PM   #42

City: Stony Point, NY
Vessel Name: VARKA
Vessel Model: Helmsman Trawlers 43 PH
Working in IT with over 100k employees and millions of customers using technology and software we engineer and support every hour of every day, has taught me 1 very important lesson.

Contrary to most peoples belief, IT people(developers, engineers, product managers) cannot read the minds of our users.

If you arent happy with a product, we would love to hear the feedback so we can make it better. We only get a pulse on calls to the helpdesk. Watercooler chat is often unreported.

That said, If we aren't happy with an Active Captain feature, or bug. Let Garmin know!

Screenshot below with the Feedback outlined in Red.

1. Open the Active Captain App
2. Click "Settings" in the bottom left
3. Click the "Send Feedback" button

Type up what you like or don't, or provide a feature request for something you like. I think you will be surprised to see how quickly you get a response or see the feature!

AdmiralS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 09:06 AM   #43
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralS View Post
Type up what you like or don't, or provide a feature request for something you like. I think you will be surprised to see how quickly you get a response or see the feature!
I wish I shared your faith in Garmin's ability to give a s**t about their customers.

I also worked in IT, and my group also cared about our customers. Our company leadership, however, had other priorities. We did what we could, but sometimes it takes more than good intentions to get something done.

My own experience with Garmin is that they want to focus on producing new stuff they can sell, not supporting the customers who bought last week's stuff. I have no doubt there are staff there who WANT to help, but when everyone is pulled off support to work on development, what can they do?
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 03:31 PM   #44
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
My own experience with Garmin is that they want to focus on producing new stuff they can sell, not supporting the customers who bought last week's stuff. I have no doubt there are staff there who WANT to help, but when everyone is pulled off support to work on development, what can they do?

I have zero direct experience with Garmin, but just looking at their product lineup would support this. Why are there so many models of MFDs? I found the same thing years ago looking at car nav systems, and I just threw up my hands and walked away. I couldn't tell the difference between most of them. It's the hallmark of a company that wants to always have something new to sell, and something that fits every need or desire. That's not bad in and of itself, but it has the consequence of creating a huge product line with exponentially more complex and costly support, especially long term for parts and repairs. You end up wanting to make older products go away just as fast as you make new products appear.

In contrast, look at Furuno who's MFD lineup includes a total of 5 full function models. TZ or TZ2. 2 screen sizes. And one black box model. And if you want to also count the legacy NN3D, there is another black box. And that NN3D black box has been available for about 10 years now, so gives a sense of product sales lifetime. Then they have 3 low end chart plotters with limited function. So worst case it totals up to 9 products.

Now compare to Garmin. They offer a total of 49 different chart plotters, ranging from high end full function, to lower end, limited function. That's 5x the number of models. It explains a lot of the behavior I hear about.
Old 12-21-2018, 02:58 PM   #45
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
...Now compare to Garmin. They offer a total of 49 different chart plotters, ranging from high end full function, to lower end, limited function. That's 5x the number of models. It explains a lot of the behavior I hear about.
I think you might be on to something there.

They want to be the Apple of marine MFD's. They expect us to line up like lemmings every 12-18 months to shell out big bucks for "the latest thing."

That "legacy" device you bought last year? Get rid of that! It's ruining your image! The styling is so... last year!

That said, apparently there are a lot of lemmings out there, so Garmin can be successful with that business model. Hard to blame them for that.

CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote