80 Mainship MK1 replacement hatch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

John E Holden

Vessel Name
John E Holden
Vessel Make
80 Mainship Model 1 Trawler
I know someone out there has replaced their V berth hatch as mine is basically done and there are no parts available. I know there was mention of it on the older Yahoo group but where did that go?:banghead:

I think the Yahoo group died out. Do you have a manufacturer or photo of the current hatch?

I would try Defender Take measurements of the opening and give them a call.

Replacing the hatch is on our list of improvements, following with interest.

I think the Yahoo group died out. Do you have a manufacturer or photo of the current hatch?

On the actual glass of the hatch theres a label that says Taylor 29980, I called the Taylors and they were unable to research the number. I can try to get an idea of the opening but I do know the actual moving part of the hatch is approx 22.25 square. They referred me to their ultra 3 series of hatches but noting there is that large.

Hey Jay!!! finally getting around to dealing with my mushy decks. Not fun but not that daunting either. the Perkins is still purring although I do have a laundry list of repairs I want to accomplish this past winter. Hope your well.

You may not be able to find an exact replacement hatch since it is over 40 years old. I would start by determining how big the hatch needs to be and then searching for any that size. Then look at how the hatch is mounted and look at the hatches in the size that you need and see which ones will mount similar to the current hatch. You may have to do some woodworking or fiberglass work to make a new one fit. Good luck.

Last edited:
On my 1978 boat the PO replaced the hatch with a Lewmar model that was slightly smaller, and rebuilt the opening to accommodate it. He told me he couldn't find an exact drop in replacement. That was about ten years ago.

Back
Top Bottom