2 Men in a queen sized berth?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ljk

Vessel Name
Hobie Kayak
Vessel Make
Passport 12.0, 34 Mainship Pilot, Mako 24,32 Regal Commodore, PT-41 Trawler, 33 Chris Craft Cavalier
I have had this problem for years and am still looking for a solution.

It seems most 30 to 40-some foot boats are built to sleep 2 couples or a couple and a family. I occasionally like to take my male friends out for a weekend fishing trip. Problem is, with 2 queen berths I can only sleep 2 men comfortably. And we usually have 4 or 5 men in the party.

Do any of you have a solution to this? SPecifically looking for ways to utilize the queen berths to sleep 2 makes. Have already tried sleeping the buddies on couches, air mattresses on the cabin sole, etc.

Thanks in advance for your help!:):):)

The old Amish solution called bundling IIRC...
Unmarried couple "sleeps" in a double bed with a bundling board between them.
No first hand experience but have read about it.

Yes, bundling boards were used to stop intimacy between 2 people in a bed. But keep in mind they were not 100% effective…

I guess a lot depends on the intent & motive of the participants!
Nothing is 100% effective!

Way back in the last century when I was in college I worked for a marine construction company that paid a fixed rate of per diem regardless of actual expenses -- so the cheaper you could find and pack a hotel room, the more money you took home (conveniently tax free too). We used large sleeping bags to help avoid the awkwardness of multiple guys in a bed, or one guy would do the sleeping bag and the other guy would use the bed linen as usual. (Double bunking might have been commonly done in Herman Melville's or Lincoln's days, but not ours. It's one thing to wake up spooning my wife, but a snoring, unshaven, hairy-legged fellow construction worker -- not my style.)

Way back in the last century when I was in college I worked for a marine construction company that paid a fixed rate of per diem regardless of actual expenses -- so the cheaper you could find and pack a hotel room, the more money you took home (conveniently tax free too). We used large sleeping bags to help avoid the awkwardness of multiple guys in a bed, or one guy would do the sleeping bag and the other guy would use the bed linen as usual. (Double bunking might have been commonly done in Herman Melville's or Lincoln's days, but not ours. It's one thing to wake up spooning my wife, but a snoring, unshaven, hairy-legged fellow construction worker -- not my style.)

AH, yes, an important note..my guys are the kind of construction guys you are referring to!:blush::blush:

Ah, yes, the memories. The places we stayed, the stories I could tell. I think the grossest was the Swan Motel in New Jersey. Next door to a very loud strip club at the time with lots of police activity, but a very convenient 24/7 diner next door, and we could get cots to split the cost even more. But then when you're 20 you can sleep in just about any conditions.

Google: The Swan is still there!! Looks like the diner is now a used truck dealership, but still looks likes like a NJ diner out of the Sopranos. Yikes that area was rough and looks like it still is. My mother let us sleep on the rear window ledge in the car on long road trips and during college I stayed in the Swan Motel. And I still survived. And now I own a 4,000 sq foot mansion with deer in the yard and I own a big honkin' motor yacht. Who would have ever thought. Certainly not the desk clerk at the Swan Motel, chain-smoking behind his bullet-proof glass in the motel office.

Greetings,
Mr. k. Now THERE'S an all too well described mental picture that I won't be able to erase. Thanks a lot.

iu

As long as there is no bowsprit to bowsprit or bowsprit to stern contact then I think you guys are fine to share the berth

There are some sportfishing boats with lots of single berths, for just that reason.

A lot of older, trawler-style boats came with twin beds on opposite sides of the master (aft) stateroom, too. A V-Berth usually has two separate spots, if you sleep with your feet forward and head aft. Sometimes the saloon settee makes another berth.

Wifey B: :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Did I say? :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

You guys can't possibly understand how funny this is to a female. We're on a 18 hour drive and I shared it with the 8 other females in the van. Only one male, my hubby. Females don't hesitate or have any problem sharing beds. Don't tell me it's size either, it's just the thought for you guys. You need to just get over it and kindly share the beds. :D

A couple of suggestions. Pick sides and both of you turn on your side to sleep so that you're facing away from each other. Butts and backs may occasionally touch but nothing major. :)

Even though in queen beds, use two sets of sheets and covers and anything else so you're not sharing a sheet or cover. Each have your own, just happen to be on the same mattress. :)

Everyone shower and be clean. :)

And one last one.... Don't dream of who you wish you were sleeping with. :lol:

Sleep head to toe. One person's head forward, and the other aft. Simple. And have separate covers.

Good night, and sleep tight.

Sleep head to toe. One person's head forward, and the other aft. Simple. And have separate covers.

Good night, and sleep tight.

Wifey B: Good suggestion, Janice. Just make sure feet aren't stinky. :)

One of the most memorable trips I have taken was with four high school mates at the age of 75. Our boat offers a V berth and a sofa bed plus anywhere else you choose, fly bridge, or cockpit. I explained the sleeping arrangement choices. Lots of chatter followed about various combinations, who with who and sleeping habit here say. Friendly laughing conversation. Make the best of it, enjoy! The memories last forever!

Just snuggle up, maybe a bit of spooning. :blush:

What happens on the boat stays on the boat! :)

a couple of air mattress will solve the berthing problem

I was driving Houston to Vegas where my Pantera was to be exhibited at the annual Detomaso reunion. My brit buddy Kevin with me as he was writing an article for his car magazine on the trip (which included driving the Copperstate 1000 later in the trip). We got to The Grand Canyon en route, to stop for the night and the only room available at the good hotel only had a honeymoon suite available with one King Size bed. We were totally cool with that until we got to the room with all the romantic decor and a rose on the bedspread! We took a picture that we will never show anyone!

I remember sharing beds on college trips, we were all saving money and it was a way to maximize the number of guys in a room. However, in this modern world I'd be reluctant to propose that to my friends. You might consider asking people to bring sleeping bags and maybe some can sleep on the floor.

I remember sharing beds on college trips, we were all saving money and it was a way to maximize the number of guys in a room. However, in this modern world I'd be reluctant to propose that to my friends. You might consider asking people to bring sleeping bags and maybe some can sleep on the floor.

Wifey B: 4 people, 2 beds, plenty of space, just share. Are you guys worried someone might think something? Just get over it and do the obvious. :rolleyes:

Bedding Options

Lots of great ideas (and humor!) here!

If I cant find "bundling boards (see first reply) on Amazon, we are going to go the air mattress/sleeping bag approach!

Many thanks, all!:Thanx:

If everyone brings a sleeping bag, you won't have to change/launder any bed linens.

--Peggie

Lots of great ideas (and humor!) here!

If I cant find "bundling boards (see first reply) on Amazon, we are going to go the air mattress/sleeping bag approach!

Many thanks, all!:Thanx:

Wifey B: You can use the sleeping bags on the bed rather than the floor. Two side by side. No danger there. All sealed and protected. :rofl:

Even though in queen beds, use two sets of sheets and covers and anything else so you're not sharing a sheet or cover. Each have your own, just happen to be on the same mattress. :)

I follow a vlog of a couple living Svalbard in Norway. Apparently Norwegians and Swedes and other countries I can't recall routinely sleep with one bottom sheet but two comforters & pillows. This seems much more logical than our way with one comforter that one partner can hoard, and who wins the thickness battle of the comforter. I light something very light over me, my wife something very heavy - Norway and Sweden is your answer.

Handy illustrative image:

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/3c/44/a0/3c44a045ca2431b60ae6a77361e26325--duvet-covers-comforter.jpg

A true event. I would guess about 20 years ago, dad was going to get an honorary degree from a university. I would guess 20-25 years ago. They were supposed to go down a month after she had died. The the motel room reservation had been made. my plans had changed so I could show. We were at the desk to sign in, dad asked 'can you sleep with me in a king size bed? (per the reservation)' I told him, 'I snuggle.', to which he said to the desk clerk, '2 beds'. So the moral of this is, 'Dont sleep with me unless you want to snuggle during the night'
I also talk in my sleep too. See how much fun I can be?

Okay. I've been casually watching this thread. Peggie, WifeyB, I'm sorry to inform this is just a Venus and Mars thing. At the risk of speaking for Mars, we are more than fine with women sleeping together. We are NOT fine with sleeping with another guy. A v-berth is barely acceptable as long as you check your Alpha Manhood at the door. Barely. I don't care how you spin it. Its just the way it is. It's part of our charm. It's part of why you love us. It's the same gene that sometimes doesn't notice when you get your hair trimmed or nails painted and yet when we walk with you, we are always on on the street side of the sidewalk. The same part that gives you our jacket even through we're cold too, and it was your own damn fault for not bringing yours. It's a package deal. I can't explain why.

Call me a troglodyte.

Peter (knuckles dragging)

Last edited:
Weebles, based upon my observation, unless parents gain control, I worry for the next generation of women. They will miss out on how we treat women.

Back
Top Bottom