Window Canvas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeremybrown_9

Vessel Name
Aurora
Vessel Make
Marshall Californian 34 LRC
I looked all over the forum and was unable to find the answer. I have a 1981 Californian 34 and want to get the window coverings for it. I do not have any of the canvas for the boat to use as templates. The fly bridge canvas would be needed also. Any help is greatly appreciated.

There are no 'stock' templates. A canvas maker makes the template and fits the finished product in place. Fly bridge and windows. It's part of the reason it's expensive.

Sailrite has a ton of videos on how its done. Here's one I found quickly.

https://youtu.be/Z2v2Iyx_w1o?si=xkcP4HvBwRvEvG46

Best of luck

Peter

Last edited:
There are no 'stock' templates. A canvas maker makes the template and fits the finished product in place. Fly bridge and windows. It's part of the reason it's expensive.

Sailrite has a ton of videos on how its done. Here's one I found quickly.

https://youtu.be/Z2v2Iyx_w1o?si=xkcP4HvBwRvEvG46

Best of luck

Peter

Yup. You can make the canvas from templates or just fabricate it onsite. Most professional fabricators do templates since they can take the templates back to their shop and do the work. I have done canvas work without templates but it requires many more fittings as you go. It certainly can be expensive. Ask for local recommendations for someone that is skilled in your area.

I wouldn't make an enclosure out of it, but for window covers, the marina we were just docked in had these covering a lot of windows at the offices and facilities:

https://ezsnapdirect.com/products/boat-shades/

It's not the best-looking product when viewed up close - to me, anyway. But I think it would be awesome if you found a way to a) cut it with some sort of precision, b) put some sort of edge/border on it to hide where you cut the plastic, and c) use actual stainless snaps.

The best things about it were that it's cheap, will not fray, and it should last longer than canvas.

Just to see, I measured the windows on my boat and, using their calculator, was given a base price of just over $300 for the materials. I would have to find a way to add a border and the price only included the snaps they send.

Also, it comes rolled up and uncut - you have to follow their directions/pattern and cut it yourself.

Don't suppose anywhere near Maryland?
Well, here's a thought. If you cut your material out to fit your shapes, mail it to me to reinforce and edge it. As long as they are flat panels no problem.
If you are DIY, get a cutter blade for a soldering gun & the edges won't fray.

If looking for fabrics or mesh I've had very good luck with RochfordSupply.com
They frequently have great prices on 2nds & close- outs that have minor imperfections.

The twist snaps are great but pricey and require a stamp cutter to make the holes right. They are usually not needed if the pull is in a straight line as with flat panels. Walk past one on the side deck & see if it takes a bite outta you. Want smooth ? How about 3M Snads.

The EZSnap stuff is intriguing. Might have to give that a shot.

The twist snaps are great but pricey and require a stamp cutter to make the holes right. They are usually not needed if the pull is in a straight line as with flat panels. Walk past one on the side deck & see if it takes a bite outta you. Want smooth ? How about 3M Snads.
I agree that twist fasteners are best for strategic use where corners of large panels need secure attachment. Another choice is a directional snap... they have to be removed by lifting one side of the panel. If used strategically and in the right direction they are great for extra hold without being an obstruction.
I'm pretty sure SailRite carries them but it's been awhile since I bought mine.

There are "directional" snaps. On a flat panel not needed, only where pull on the fabric is at an angle to the surface. Drawback - if anyone on the boat tries to "help" you with them, they will tear the crap outta the canvas if they don't know how.
Anyone who can fog a mirror can make a flat panel template.

There are "directional" snaps. On a flat panel not needed, only where pull on the fabric is at an angle to the surface. Drawback - if anyone on the boat tries to "help" you with them, they will tear the crap outta the canvas if they don't know how.
Anyone who can fog a mirror can make a flat panel template.
Agree
Folks that dont know what they are doing can cause all sorts of trouble aboard when acting on their own w/o direction

I don't have a heavy duty sewing machine, or the skill to use one, but would like to make some simple canvas items. Has anyone had success with fabric adhesive?

I made window covers a couple years ago from heavy duty tarp material that I hemmed with double-sided carpet tape, set snaps through the hemmed edges. So far, so good!

To do just a couple of layers of Sunbrella, a home machine should do fine. Cut it with a hot cutter or a blade on a soldering iron, no need to hem.

I don't have a heavy duty sewing machine, or the skill to use one, but would like to make some simple canvas items. Has anyone had success with fabric adhesive?
To do just a couple of layers of Sunbrella, a home machine should do fine. Cut it with a hot cutter or a blade on a soldering iron, no need to hem.
I agree with Sibernut and started with an old Singer portable (non walking foot) before purchasing a Sailrite LS-1.
Small items are easier than large panels as the trick w/o a walking foot is to feed it evenly to get uniform stitches. The machine had plenty of power to punch thru. I have used adhesive sometimes and seam tape often but only to hold pieces in position until / while sewing. A hand stapler like one used in stores to staple folded bag tops actually comes in handy for a temp hold of multi pieces until sewing is complete.
I dont think you will be successful/ happy with adhesive alone.

I use seam stick basting tape sometimes. If that is what you are referring to it will absolutely not hold. It is for temporary use to hold the pieces together until you can sew them. It also helps waterproof, sorta, the seam.

JeremyBrown,

Send me a PM and we can talk via phone. I have a 1977 Marshall 34 LRC, hull #1, and it came with wraparound canvas and sunscreen covers for the house windows. I also have a bimini, but taking it down is too much for me to get a template...better for a local guy to design what works best.

With the canvas off, I sometimes feel like I'm living in a fish bowl at the dock. I measured and ordered from Lowes interior blinds that provide privacy at the dock so I can allow light in but still maintain privacy.

Having canvas and sunscreen exterior and interior miniblind window coverings has served me very well. If I can help, PM me your cell # and we can talk.

Al

Back
Top Bottom