Generator power issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CMantra

Vessel Name
Metta
Vessel Make
Californian 34 LRC
So here I am, anchor anchor in my hometown where I’m keeping the boat for now. My northern lights 6 kW generator is running because my inverter doesn’t exist. I’m watching some Netflix and all of a sudden my AC power panel cuts out. I’ve checked all the breakers and done some extensive continuity testing. E breaker switch panel for generator power is getting the power from the generator. I haven’t quite gotten any farther than that because I came across this cable connector that I originally thought went to the engines and instrument panels. I’ve now determined that oneAnd goes to the generator starter control so my question is would this prevent power from getting to the rest of my AC panel? Also if anybody can tell me what to Google or go into the store to replace this connector I’d appreciate it cause I’m basically just trial and error if this so far.

Attachments

• 462E0D7E-0219-4B6F-8B93-0A85A93431A0.jpg
    462E0D7E-0219-4B6F-8B93-0A85A93431A0.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 36
Call Northern Lights. I had the same issue when we bought our last boat on a 5kw unit. I bought the male and female plug and spliced it.

Call Northern Lights. I had the same issue when we bought our last boat on a 5kw unit. I bought the male and female plug and spliced it.

Do you know what it’s called so I can explain to them when I call? Thanks for the help!

The terminals themselves don't look bad. Clean it up with vinegar, dry it well, put in some dielectric grease, and plug back in . . . . I would also check all your other connections as well, especially battery terminals, and ground wire where it terminates on the generator frame, and boat grounding system.

One of the pins was so corroded it fell off. Cleaning all the terminals on the boat and the grounding system is on the haul out list which is now much sooner than planned.

Yup, spot on! Thanks for the help! Not a cheap part and nobody local seems to have it but was able to find it in Seattle to be shipped here by the end of the week!

I just spliced them out. It goes from the control panel to the genset. Made for easy installations.

I extended mine and moved the control panel to above the helm where I could read the gauges.

That plug just connects the DC control circuit to the remote start/stop switch. Looks like it got water in it. Just cut the plug out and butt-splice each conductor.

But that has nothing to do with the AC output of the gennie. Was it still running when you lost AC power? If engine continued to run and you lost AC, problem is elsewhere.

That plug just connects the DC control circuit to the remote start/stop switch. Looks like it got water in it. Just cut the plug out and butt-splice each conductor.

But that has nothing to do with the AC output of the gennie. Was it still running when you lost AC power? If engine continued to run and you lost AC, problem is elsewhere.

Yeah the generator was running and continued to run. I guess I’ll keep tracing wires and testing continuity.

One of my handiest tools is a cordless dremel too. A little wire wheel or a sanding disk on the end are perfect for getting into tight places to polish up connectors.

pete

Yeah the generator was running and continued to run. I guess I’ll keep tracing wires and testing continuity.

Open up control box and look at voltage regulator, about size of a 3x5 card, mounted on bottom of box. Has a tiny glass fuse, check that it is not blown.

Also look for any broken wires, blown output fuses or tripped breaker while in there.

Don't drop any of the tiny screws that hold cover on.

Edit: From your original post you have confirmed that the gennie is making power at the unit? If so, ignore the opening the box stuff above.

If it is making power and your panel is not getting it, problem is in the boat.

Last edited:
Genie is definitely making power. I checked the fuses and wires and connectors so far from the generator to this breaker panel and the power is making it this far.

The PO definitely dropped some of the tiny screws that hold the cover on, there were only two ����*♂️����

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 5
That transfer switch can have bad contacts. Rare, but happens. So you have volts coming in, are volts coming out? If not, you can try cycling it numerous time, sometimes this cleans crud from the contacts. If that works, I would not trust the switch afterwards, replace it. Hot contacts on a boat switch mounted in a wooden cabinet is not good.

Back
Top Bottom