45 Californian shaft length

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Anchored Souls
Vessel Make
45 Californian
I have a 1988 45 Californian motor yacht. I am looking to order new shafts and couplings and I was hoping someone had the shaft lengths so I can pre-order without pulling the current shafts out to measure. Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome aboard. Sorry that I can’t help with yours. I asked Formula about mine and they sent me a line drawing with all the measurements. It is nice having a boat builder that has all the information on legacy boats.

Given the price of shafts and the variability of install, would not be wise to have shafts machined without a proper as-built measurement. Engines may vary a bit. Original owner may have specified some sort of coupling. Engine mounts may be off an inch or two (or more); engine may have been moved forward to provide clearance for a shaft brush, etc. There are a number of reasons why the shaft on #X is not the same as #X+1. Besides, you may want an extra inch for line cutters.

Even in Comodaves example where the builder is still business and apparently kept decent records, I would not order a shaft based on their information. I'd pull the shaft and measure it.

Good luck.

Peter

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom