Old 05-09-2017, 04:21 PM   #101
Veteran Member

City: Knoxville
Vessel Name: Journey
Vessel Model: 1999 Island Gypsy 32
Hello Sunvale1, Good to catch up with you again. Regret that we could not get together in Michigan last year. Windlass is still a problem? Go ahead and spend the money. You'll feel better. Let me know if I can help.
Gray Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 04:26 PM   #102
Veteran Member

Good looking boat, Ken. Doubt that you have a shortage of space. With my boat at 32' I could almost put two of mine in your boat with only a small amount hanging over the transom.

Wayne
Journey
Old 05-09-2017, 11:41 PM   #103
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Welcome aboard Grey Dog. Lots of information here for IGs.
Sunvale, what`s the problem with the windlass? Is it a Muir?
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 07:05 AM   #104
Veteran Member

City: Grand Haven, MI
Vessel Name: Out Of The Blue
Vessel Model: Island Gypsy
Galvestone

I came down there some years ago after the big hurricane looking for a place. Was going to motor down the river from the Great Lakes and live on the boat on one of the outer islands
sunvale1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 03:28 PM   #105
Ray
Veteran Member

City: Scottsboro,Al
Vessel Name: PatsyRay
Vessel Model: 2004 Mainship Trawler
Gray Dog
Glad to see you are still enjoying your Island Gypsy, it was a great boat for us for a number of years. We sold it to buy a houseboat which was a mistake, only kept it for a year, then bought a 34 Mainship. The mainship is not an IG, we miss our old boat. It made a few Ten-Tom trips and never let us down, you are a lucky captain.

Ray
Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 10:12 AM   #106

City: Hampton Bays, N.Y.
Vessel Name: Grand Yankee
Vessel Model: 1981 49' Grand Banks Classic
I am looking at a 36' Mk II Europa 1989. Are there any weak points that I should look at very carefully? Thank You.
Ron T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 11:27 AM   #107
Veteran Member

to many things to report on. Make sure you get the manuals and save all phone numbers and names as they will surely come in handy some day. Don't waste your money with survey. i had it done and it was a waste of $$. The fellow overlooked so many things
Old 06-25-2017, 11:30 AM   #108
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Bad advice in post #107. A survey is always a good idea IMO.
Old 06-25-2017, 11:38 AM   #109
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
A good survey is a good idea....
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 11:49 AM   #110
Veteran Member

the key is "A Good Survey" But finding one is the hard part. Mine cost me $1800 and it had a nicely written report in a binder but mentioned nothing of the holes in the holding tank. The obvious rotted fitting going into the tank. Or the Frozen windlass. The radar that would not function or the dri-rot I found behind the fridge or the leaking windows and I could go on and on. No question about it, but a good handy person wirth some basic knowledge on how things work could do just as well on their own.
Old 06-25-2017, 11:43 PM   #111
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Ron T, mine is earlier but do check exposed windows and seals carefully, especially if timber windows. At that age any teak decks are suspect, the "real" deck underneath may be too affected. Osmosis is likely to be present. Check the stern glands, access can be poor. Check for good primary fuel filtration, early ones had undrainable canisters with replaceable elements, hopefully yours has Racors. And of course check the (presumably) mild steel fuel and water tanks for leaks/rust, esp the tops of the tanks.
Do get a survey. Accept that a surveyor, on the boat for a short time,may miss things you will find over your time of ownership. Get a mechanical survey too.
Feel free to ask specific questions your own inspections raise.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 07:00 AM   #112
Moderator Emeritus

City: Cameron, La
Vessel Name: Baobab
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788
You are probably going to need a survey to get insurance anyway.
dimer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 07:11 AM   #113
Veteran Member

My windows were new and had aluminum frames I had an issue with the wood around the window. The caulking was the wrong stuff and water found it's way past it and caused damage. The surveyor did not find it. You will indeed have to have a survey to finance and insure the boat. Look behind the fridge and check the wood behind it. 6 screws and the box will come out. Look for the water tell tale signs , you will find all sorts of problems. For sure check the windlass operation. Mine was ceased and slipped by the survey.
Old 06-26-2017, 12:50 PM   #114
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 430 Mainship
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunvale1 View Post
the key is "A Good Survey" But finding one is the hard part. Mine cost me $1800 and it had a nicely written report in a binder but mentioned nothing of the holes in the holding tank. The obvious rotted fitting going into the tank. Or the Frozen windlass. The radar that would not function or the dri-rot I found behind the fridge or the leaking windows and I could go on and on. No question about it, but a good handy person wirth some basic knowledge on how things work could do just as well on their own.
I can appreciate your comments about surveyors. Some are good, some are not. The vast majority of us can do most of the survey ourselves, takes little skill. Writing up the specs, numbers, equipment on board, taking pretty pictures and putting together a presentation. Also, we can easily verify most of what's working or not, correct speeds, engine performance, electronics, windlass, head, galley, etc., etc.

What we can miss it the little things that could be big things. Like a weak hull that can only be detected with instruments, or a wiring flaw, or something installed wrong or missing. Leaks, broken things, old wiring, hoses, cracks, etc. Things that we are unfamiliar with and he's seen a hundred times. And that's what you pay a surveyor for.

However, you can easily get buy just hiring a good mechanic that knows this stuff, and perhaps an electrician or a few other experts.

I've done all of the above, and for the most part my surveys were not a real bargain. The mechanics were.

In some cases the deal is so good, and there's buyers standing behind you that you just buy it as is. I've done that a few times and always made out handsomely. Sometimes the deal is made only if timely... like within hours, not days.

I missed one good deal for waiting a few hours. Sold for $96 and I was in at $95, boat worth north of $160. There were no surveyors, but could get a quick look see. Damn!

Overall, a survey is not a bad thing, and if one is very conservative and wants nothing uncovered, they'll get a survey, have a mechanic and electrician check things out, too.
Old 06-27-2017, 07:06 AM   #115
Veteran Member

right on with the mechanic and electrical personal. I worked on boats for many years from glass layup to floor timbers etc. So I knew something about boats.
My boat came with all the original manuals and between that info and the former owners personal notes in them gave me a pretty good idea what was what. I did not intend to get this subject into tsunami, just wanted to mention that a person hiring a surveyor needs to be vigilant in the selecting process.
Old 07-26-2019, 02:02 PM   #116

City: Florida Keys
Vessel Name: Sophie
Vessel Model: Island Gypsy 44
New Island Gypsy Owner

Recently purchased a Island Gypsy 44 and am looking for other owners who are willing to share information and advise. We decided to become full time live aboard. Our boat is very comfortable and spacious, having spent many years cruising sail boats, am somewhat nervous about boat handling characters in open seas.

Any information would be great.
IG 44-142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 03:10 PM   #117
Veteran Member

I have owned an IG32 for five years and it has carried us 12,000 miles. Happy to help in any way.

Wayne
Old 07-26-2019, 04:09 PM   #118
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Welcome aboard. Congrats on your new boat.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 07:58 AM   #119

City: Camden, TN
Vessel Name: Toscana
Vessel Model: Island Gypsy 44 Flushdeck
Quote:
Originally Posted by IG 44-142 View Post
Recently purchased a Island Gypsy 44 and am looking for other owners who are willing to share information and advise. We decided to become full time live aboard. Our boat is very comfortable and spacious, having spent many years cruising sail boats, am somewhat nervous about boat handling characters in open seas.

Any information would be great.

Ill be comparing notes in about a week... I should close on IG44-43 by next Friday!
The IG44 is a very capable vessel, but like any trawler beam seas can shake you up. This one has a beautiful "Steadying Sail" which can be better than stabilizers, and certainly less maintenance!
jgtrucking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 03:55 PM   #120

City: Rockville, MD.
Vessel Name: Libra
Vessel Model: Island Gypsy 36 Trawler
I bought my 1987 36' Island Gypsy Classic Long Range trawler with twin SP225's @ 970 original documented hours last year for far less $$. But I say I was lucky. I jump on it like three dogs on a three legged cat. As far as twin vs. single, always twin yes it is twice the maintenance but it is redundancy. I would go for Europa if price is right. IMHO.
Vadim is offline   Reply With Quote