Old 02-07-2024, 12:35 AM   #21

City: Fayence
Vessel Name: Coup de Coeur
Vessel Model: IG 36
IG versus Integrity

Hello, I am considering buying a 2000' 36ft Europa powered by two cummins 250 to replace my current Island Gypsy 36 quad cabin with two ford 125.Could you comment on the differences at sea? I was surprise to find out that the Integrity has a 1.6m draft, much deeper than the IG.
Kotick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2024, 02:05 AM   #22
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
My 2005 Integrity 386ES, Cummins 210s which is plenty, no aftercoolers,is a much better seaboat than the IG36 Europa I owned for 10 years. It has a distinct resemblance to the IG. Cuts through waves rather than bouncing over them so they clearly improved the hull. I`d check the draft, they don`t look that different underwater.
Can you post the advert or a pic if you have other questions.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2024, 02:14 AM   #23

Thanks for your input. Here is the link, I would really value any comment or recommandation you may have. Also, could you tell me your fuel consumption @ 8 and 10 kts?
https://www.youboat.com/fr/d/bateau-...9187#gallery-1
Old 02-07-2024, 07:36 PM   #24
Guru

Hi Olivier,
The guys who delivered mine from Melbourne to Sydney reported 35L combined per hour but that was open sea. I`ve not tested it myself. They were pleased with the offshore handling.

The bottom looks sound in osmosis terms, but what`s that circular thing on the transom?
It has a lot of external teak decking, including fwd. Maybe it`s ok with European sun exposure, here fwd exposed unprotected teak is best avoided.
It looks well laid out inside, similar to mine, though there are differences, like headroom over the basin in the head. The hull incorporates the swimstep too.
Jiang Hua continued building based on Halvorsen moulds after IG ceased operation.
I`ve been pleasantly surprised by build quality. Check the condition of the fresh water distribution hoses, they may be aging.

We were advised to strengthen the steering rack, flexing seemed to be contributing to rudder issues incl. one rudder shaft tube requiring rebuilding.
It should be highly maneuverable with twins and thrusters. Probably has more power than it can use.
As always, survey thoroughly incl mechanicals, but know things will likely be missed or seen but misinterpreted, they were on mine.
Old 02-07-2024, 11:56 PM   #25

Thanks Bruce,
Not sure what the circular thing is. Hope to see it next week and find out.
Thank you for the info on rudder issues. I'll have it checked. I plan on having a thorough survey, I've learned since I bought my IG36 and had to change all the hull through fittings as well as the complete exhaust systems.
My IG has a complete teak decking which looks nice but needs a lot of cleaning and gets hot in the middle of summer around Corsica and Sardegna where I like to sail. But I'm used to that and refresh it with sea water when my wife's tender feet get burnt.
I'll let you know my visit goes.
Best regards.
Old 02-08-2024, 01:58 AM   #26

City: Nederland
Vessel Name: Passi
Vessel Model: Hand made Barkas
That round thing on the mirror is a stern thruster.
Pascall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 08:07 PM   #27
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascall View Post
That round thing on the mirror is a stern thruster.
The sternthruster is obvious to anyone, it`s what`s to the left of the sternthruster that concerns me. I know what a mirror is but can`t see one.

Old 02-08-2024, 09:21 PM   #28

City: Tasmania
Vessel Model: Sea Ranger 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
The sternthruster is obvious to anyone, it`s what`s to the left of the sternthruster that concerns me. I know what a mirror is but can`t see one.

Perhaps an old anode base or the remains of an old underwater light?
Southern Boater is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 09:30 PM   #29

From the pics of the flybridge helm controls, she has had some serious exposure to the UV from the degradation to the instrument lenses, and as Bruce has previously mentioned, thoroughly check the foredeck teak, especially if it has been screwed down (dowel plugs at regular intervals along the teak strips).
From the engine room pics, considering she is only 24 years old, it resembles an older vessel, not much love has been bestowed in there.
Old 02-08-2024, 11:23 PM   #30
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Boater View Post
From the pics of the flybridge helm controls, she has had some serious exposure to the UV from the degradation to the instrument lenses, and as Bruce has previously mentioned, thoroughly check the foredeck teak, especially if it has been screwed down (dowel plugs at regular intervals along the teak strips).
From the engine room pics, considering she is only 24 years old, it resembles an older vessel, not much love has been bestowed in there.
Useful observations! That area to port on the transom looks, as Dave the mechanic at my last marina would say "festered". Doing my best I can`t see plugged screw holes on the teak decking, maybe on the last(?first) one adjacent to the cabin which is sometimes fixed, so hopefully it`s all glued not screwed. I didn`t think the ER looked too bad, I liked the instruments fitted on one engine(? both) but, almost any ER benefits from a clean up.
Old 02-09-2024, 01:00 AM   #31

Quote:

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A flat back of a boat or a ship is called the mirror.
Traditionally, a pry hole is usually made in the transom of a mirror sloop to be able to move the sloop with a pry belt. Modern mirror sloops usually no longer have this facility, because the art of prying is rarely taught.
The transom of a mirror ship is often painted and decorated with a coat of arms. Behind it are usually the captain's quarters and the guest quarters.
In addition to ships with a closed transom, there are also sailing ships with an open transom, such as the Tirion28 and the VQ24.

Mvg,

Pascal.
Old 02-09-2024, 01:49 AM   #32
Guru

Thanks. I`m sure everyone on TF will refer to the transom as a mirror in future. Thank you, or Wikipedia, so much.
Old 02-09-2024, 02:02 AM   #33

Quote:
Thanks. I`m sure everyone on TF will refer to the transom as a mirror in future. Thank you, or Wikipedia, so much.
I don't think so , but it's a name in the Netherlands for the back of the boat.
It comes from the past, so it is a historical name that is still frequently used.
The ships from around the time of the VOC (1600) are also called mirror ships, characterized by the stern.
Mvg,

Pascal.
Old 02-09-2024, 02:17 AM   #34

Quote:
Useful observations! That area to port on the transom looks, as Dave the mechanic at my last marina would say "festered". Doing my best I can`t see plugged screw holes on the teak decking, maybe on the last(?first) one adjacent to the cabin which is sometimes fixed, so hopefully it`s all glued not screwed. I didn`t think the ER looked too bad, I liked the instruments fitted on one engine(? both) but, almost any ER benefits from a clean up.
Yes, the Murphy Gauges are a good inclusion, giving pressures and temps right at the source, eliminating potential loss along the pathway to the helm control gauges, eg. numerous terminal connections, also while doing engine checks while underway with the IR temp gun.
Old 02-10-2024, 12:48 AM   #35
Veteran Member

City: Melbourne, Australia 🇦🇺
Vessel Name: Markeeta
Vessel Model: 1982 Island Gypsy 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucek View Post
thanks. I`m sure everyone on tf will refer to the transom as a mirror in future. Thank you, or wikipedia, so much.
😈😜
DeanOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2024, 11:49 AM   #36

I've seen the boat yesterday. This is indeed an anode.
Besides, the boat was not in the shape I expected. So I'll keep looking for another one.
I was surprised to see that the engines exhausts were located on the sides instead of the transom. Are you familiar with that? Can that be an issue in rough seas?
BTW the dimensions in the add are wrong. The beam is 4m instead of 3,8 and draft is 1,4 instead of 1,6.
Old 02-14-2024, 03:44 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotick View Post
Besides, the boat was not in the shape I expected. So I'll keep looking for another one.
I was surprised to see that the engines exhausts were located on the sides instead of the transom. Are you familiar with that? Can that be an issue in rough seas?
BTW the dimensions in the add are wrong. The beam is 4m instead of 3,8 and draft is 1,4 instead of 1,6.
Brokers often get the dimensions incorrect, especially with boats they arenít familiar with.
Iíve seen older Halvorsens with the exhaust at the sides, but right aft near the transom. More importantly the arrangement where the exhaust pipe leaves the exhaust riser and the amount of ďfallĒ it has to the exist point and water level is more important. Tony Athens from sbrmar has very informative info on this matter.
Realistically your journey to purchase could be long, compromise will be part of that. Good luck
Old 02-14-2024, 06:21 PM   #38
Guru

Quote:
Sorry to hear that. I found the IG to Integrity transition so easy. Took me 3 years to find a replacement for the IG,incl a failed contract on an Integrity 426.

My exhausts exit either side just fwd /on the "corner" of the transom. The IG were in the transom. I`m unaware of any issues arising. Possibly more exposed in the transom in following seas?
Old 02-14-2024, 11:45 PM   #39

Thanks. I'll be patient and keep looking. Problem is that there are fewer boats of this kind in Europe than in Australia or the US.
Could you let me know how to add a picture of the boat in my profile?
Old 02-15-2024, 08:58 PM   #40
Guru

Quote:
Thanks. I'll be patient and keep looking. Problem is that there are fewer boats of this kind in Europe than in Australia or the US.
Could you let me know how to add a picture of the boat in my profile?
I suggest asking a Moderator/Site Team member to help add a pic to your profile.