Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-07-2021, 12:11 AM   #1
Veteran Member
 
DeanOz's Avatar
 
City: Melbourne, Australia 🇦🇺
Vessel Name: Markeeta
Vessel Model: 1982 Island Gypsy 32
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 59
1982 IG32 Raw Water Pump looks funny

Hi all TF'ers,
I recently joined the Island Gypsy club by purchasing a 1982 Flybridge Cruiser. She has been a tad neglected on the cosmetic front, but the 'heart' is in good nick - Lehman 120. A complete service on the main engine, including a new HX, header tank and exhaust elbow. I changed the raw water pump impeller the other day and this is what the thing looked like when I opened the pump.

Is this right?? Temp is holding perfectly well and she's pumping a good amount of water out the pipe. It just seems weird that a round impeller is going in a not so round hole.

Any info and advice will be most welcome.

Cheers. ⚓️
Attached Thumbnails
water pump.jpg  
__________________
Advertisement

DeanOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 12:24 AM   #2
TF Site Team
 
Comodave's Avatar
 
City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 11,837
The water pump should have a lobe on one side that compresses the vanes on the impeller that pushes water out of the pump. Then the vanes uncompress and draw more water into the pump. The vanes should be compressed on the lobe side and not compressed around the rest of the pump. The vanes should not be damaged or have a “set” when the impeller is removed. If torn or having a set then the impeller should be replaced. The impeller is a routine replacement item. If the boat is new to you then I would replace the impeller. I bought a tool from impellertool.com that makes it easier to install the new impeller. No affiliation with the site. Congrats on your new boat.
__________________

__________________
Boat Nut:
If you are one there is no explanation necessary.
If you aren’t one, there is no explanation possible.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 12:56 AM   #3
Veteran Member
 
DeanOz's Avatar
 
City: Melbourne, Australia 🇦🇺
Vessel Name: Markeeta
Vessel Model: 1982 Island Gypsy 32
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
I bought a tool from impellertool.com that makes it easier to install the new impeller. No affiliation with the site.
I got a sea dog impeller puller - made it super easy and little or no risk of damage. I feel better now that it is "normal". 👍
DeanOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 01:02 AM   #4
TF Site Team
 
Comodave's Avatar
 
City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 11,837
The tool I referred to is to reinstall the impeller, not to pull it out.
__________________
Boat Nut:
If you are one there is no explanation necessary.
If you aren’t one, there is no explanation possible.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 01:03 AM   #5
Veteran Member
 
DeanOz's Avatar
 
City: Melbourne, Australia 🇦🇺
Vessel Name: Markeeta
Vessel Model: 1982 Island Gypsy 32
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
The water pump should have a lobe on one side that compresses the vanes on the impeller that pushes water out of the pump. Then the vanes uncompress and draw more water into the pump. The vanes should be compressed on the lobe side and not compressed around the rest of the pump. The vanes should not be damaged or have a “set” when the impeller is removed. If torn or having a set then the impeller should be replaced. The impeller is a routine replacement item. If the boat is new to you then I would replace the impeller. I bought a tool from impellertool.com that makes it easier to install the new impeller. No affiliation with the site. Congrats on your new boat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
The tool I referred to is to reinstall the impeller, not to pull it out.
🤔 I'll look that up - cheers ✌️
DeanOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 01:47 AM   #6
Guru
 
BruceK's Avatar
 
City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 12,320
ADC make a modified water pump, for 120s at least. The drive (?tang) for the original can break unexpectedly and unless you catch it fast..... About $500 USD + freight. Had mine fitted by the marina mechanic, I don`t think it was 100% simple remove and refit, some fiddling,and blanking off a couple of holes.
__________________
BruceK
2005 Integrity 386 "Sojourn"
Sydney Australia
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 02:09 AM   #7
Guru
 
City: Boston
Vessel Name: Adelante
Vessel Model: IG 30
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 1,207
I compress the impeller with a tie wrap, coat it in glycerin, usually slides right in.
Keep a bunch of spare screws for cover plate. along with spare impellers. They have a habit of disappearing.

Always check water flow after start.
SoWhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 10:23 AM   #8
Guru
 
City: gulf coast
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 3,441
The hole is not round because that is how the pump works. Water comes in on the open side then the vanes turn and are compressed by the small side forcing water out into circulation.

Some pumps have a shoe to do the vane compression without the eccentric hole.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 11:26 AM   #9
Guru
 
Pete Meisinger's Avatar
 
City: Oconto, WI
Vessel Name: Best Alternative
Vessel Model: 36 Albin Aft Cabin
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,087
That is exactly what the inside of a water pump should look like. Getting the impeller in and out can be a bugger but it looks good.

pete
Pete Meisinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 05:57 PM   #10
Veteran Member
 
DeanOz's Avatar
 
City: Melbourne, Australia 🇦🇺
Vessel Name: Markeeta
Vessel Model: 1982 Island Gypsy 32
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 59
Thanks all,
Comodave's idea would be great and I've just sent the company an email to see whether they ship internationally. I'll be investing in a new pump through ADC, because I know that this one will let go when I least expect it and probably when out to sea.
Cheers
DeanOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 06:44 PM   #11
TF Site Team
 
Comodave's Avatar
 
City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 11,837
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanOz View Post
Thanks all,
Comodave's idea would be great and I've just sent the company an email to see whether they ship internationally. I'll be investing in a new pump through ADC, because I know that this one will let go when I least expect it and probably when out to sea.
Cheers
Good plan. I love the tool to install the new impeller since I don’t have to fuss with getting the new impeller in. It just slides right in. One of my pumps is difficult to get to and with the tool changing the impeller went from pulling the pump to about 20 minutes total time to replace the impeller. I even use the tool on the other engine where the pump is easily accessible.
__________________
Boat Nut:
If you are one there is no explanation necessary.
If you aren’t one, there is no explanation possible.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 06:51 PM   #12
Veteran Member
 
DeanOz's Avatar
 
City: Melbourne, Australia 🇦🇺
Vessel Name: Markeeta
Vessel Model: 1982 Island Gypsy 32
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
Good plan. I love the tool to install the new impeller since I don’t have to fuss with getting the new impeller in. It just slides right in. One of my pumps is difficult to get to and with the tool changing the impeller went from pulling the pump to about 20 minutes total time to replace the impeller. I even use the tool on the other engine where the pump is easily accessible.
I'm going to service the Onan 6.5kva genset this week and see the size of that impeller and its accessibility. It's pretty tight back there, which generally means the PO might not have done the proper upkeep. Hopefully impellertool distribute globally and I only need one size (but with boats, I doubt it)
DeanOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 07:09 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Tator's Avatar
 
City: Bainbridge Island/Petersburg Alaska
Vessel Name: Oz
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40' RPH 1979
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 352
Make sure that your Jabsco pump hasn't already been replaced with the upgraded Johnson pump. You don't mention the brand of your existing pump and it is hard for me to tell from the photo. The brand should be on the outside of the cover plate that was removed in the photo. Everything in the photo looks good and looks like the PO used plenty of grease to help install the impeller.

Tator
Tator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 11:31 PM   #14
Veteran Member
 
DeanOz's Avatar
 
City: Melbourne, Australia 🇦🇺
Vessel Name: Markeeta
Vessel Model: 1982 Island Gypsy 32
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tator View Post
Make sure that your Jabsco pump hasn't already been replaced with the upgraded Johnson pump. You don't mention the brand of your existing pump and it is hard for me to tell from the photo. The brand should be on the outside of the cover plate that was removed in the photo. Everything in the photo looks good and looks like the PO used plenty of grease to help install the impeller.

Tator
Thanks Tator,
Well, I installed a Johnson impeller that the PO had on board, so I'm hoping that was the right one for the job. I will check the cover plate when I next jump on board.

As for the lube, I just used the supplied glycerine and followed the instructions, so I didn't use grease. It certainly was tight, but with a little persuasion, she went in. I ran the engine at idle for around 25 minutes and she was pumping water out just fine. The temp stayed low and there were no leaks apparent. I will check it again under load to make sure.

Cheers,
Deano
__________________

DeanOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
impeller, lehman 120, raw water pump

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Trawler Port Captains
Port Captains are TF volunteers who can serve as local guides or assist with local arrangements and information. Search below to locate Port Captains near your destination. To learn more about this program read here: TF Port Captain Program





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012
×