Open PDF file issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SteveK

Guru
Vessel Name
Sea Sanctuary
Vessel Make
Bayliner 4588
The following post has a PDF file in it. When I click on it instead of opening in a new tab on my browser it wants file to be saved first, then opened with your choice of PDF file program. Browser setting is open in new tab. Annoying and possibly not secure.
The first link is the post, the 2nd link is the PDF

https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1172256&postcount=3

https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=138778&d=1683990323
com.google.android.apps.photos.Image.pdf

It opens fine on my iPhone.

What browser do you have?

What browser do you have?

Chrome

Did I mention this is recent, it used to open in a new tab. Matter of fact I found the setting. I have the box checked for open PDF's in chrome.

Sites automatically follow this setting when you visit them
Download PDFs
Open PDFs in Chrome

Since posting I have found that sites can override your choice by embedding into the file.

Mystery solved.
Clue was in post 1
com.google.android.apps.photos.Image.pdf
After trying several PDF posts ONLY those uploaded from an Android phone wanted to be saved first, the others opened in a new tab.

Probably my fault, I was just trying to save an image of of Amazon to illustrate an anchor, it wouldn't save to a jpg so I kept trying different things until it would save to an supported file. I should have just used a screenshot.

Last edited:
Probably my fault, I was just trying to save an image of of Amazon to illustrate an anchor, it wouldn't save to a jpg so I kept trying different things until it would save to an supported file. I should have just used a screenshot.

not your fault, updates on phone have changed what worked for years, updates on PC changed things that worked a certain way.
My pet peeve is Win 11 looks different and still is the same under the hood, as was win 10 same as win 8. Amazing evolution of programming that still accepts MS dos commands.
Your phone used to allow you to do what you wanted, may still once you find the workaround.

Back
Top Bottom