Old 12-08-2018, 04:49 PM   #21
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Hey gang! I've got a GREAT idea. Let's take a poll....I vote #3....

Old 12-08-2018, 06:57 PM   #22
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Tom,
I read your post re “TapTap” and agree with several points you make. The use of “+1” is very parallel to a like. But it’s about agreeing ... not specifically liking.

On your appreciating a post the thanks is very simple and effective. I usually make a comment w my thanks but it works either way......

But I vote no.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 07:09 PM   #23
Guru

City: Sidney
Vessel Name: RochePoint
Vessel Model: 1985 Cheer Men PT38 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Hey gang! I've got a GREAT idea. Let's take a poll....I vote #3....

Oh, not another poll again........
www.rochepoint.ca
rochepoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 09:29 PM   #24
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Just FYI, I've never found the "like" option to be anything like a popularity contest. I'm not on any other social media sites, so maybe that's why it never even occurred to me that it might.

But I can assure you, it's nothing like that. It's just a quick, simple way to say the equivalent of "+1" or "Thanks" without having to kick off an e-mail or a whole new post. People are far more likely to do that, and it doesn't waste any screen real estate or time.

Believe me, I understand the reluctance. I'd have agreed, had I not experienced it myself on another forum. It's a really, really beneficial feature. That's all I'm going to say.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 09:49 PM   #25
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
OK. If you're going to add a "like" button, how about adding a "don't like" button as well? I can see where this is going...

Old 12-08-2018, 10:09 PM   #26

City: Lutz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
Sounds like a popularity contest move.
I hate facebook and anything associated with it
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 10:12 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
I'm on another forum which uses a "Like" button. I use it all the time, and I'd love to see it here.

First, let me say I'm NOT on Facebook, I have had a Twitter account for several years that I've used exactly once, and I'm totally NOT into the whole social media thing.

I rarely want to get so formal as to initiate an e-mail by using "Thanks." That's reserved for a someone very specifically addressing an issue for me personally.

Usually, a simple show of support for a good answer is more appropriate. It's quick and easy to just tap "Like." Far better than a whole new post just to say "+1."

It's also good for the forum overall. It's highly motivational to see that multiple folks appreciate something you've written, even if no-one feels the need to personally thank you.

It brings people back to the forum, to see if what they said, or what someone else said which they agree with, also resonates with other members.

It encourages people to think before posting. Am I adding value? Can I say this in a positive way that people will "like," instead of just disagreeing with someone else?

A "Like" option is a way to encourage good posts and a sense of community, and subtly discourage unhelpful posts and rudeness.

In that other forum, the "Likes" are just one line at the bottom of a post. It shows the names and the first few people who "liked" it. If there are more, it'll say "and xx others." You never see a long list. When you log on, it says how many likes you've received. You can click to see what it was people liked. Or ignore the whole thing. No real waste of time or space for anyone.

To those who think it's a bad idea: I would have agreed with you before I tried it on that other forum. Now I think it's what makes that place a success.
First you say you are not on Facebook--- later you go on and on describing Facebooks inner workings??????????????????????
Old 12-08-2018, 10:14 PM   #28

Quote:
I'm on another forum which uses a "Like" button. I use it all the time, and I'd love to see it here.

First, let me say I'm NOT on Facebook, I have had a Twitter account for several years that I've used exactly once, and I'm totally NOT into the whole social media thing.

I rarely want to get so formal as to initiate an e-mail by using "Thanks." That's reserved for a someone very specifically addressing an issue for me personally.

Usually, a simple show of support for a good answer is more appropriate. It's quick and easy to just tap "Like." Far better than a whole new post just to say "+1."

It's also good for the forum overall. It's highly motivational to see that multiple folks appreciate something you've written, even if no-one feels the need to personally thank you.

It brings people back to the forum, to see if what they said, or what someone else said which they agree with, also resonates with other members.

It encourages people to think before posting. Am I adding value? Can I say this in a positive way that people will "like," instead of just disagreeing with someone else?

A "Like" option is a way to encourage good posts and a sense of community, and subtly discourage unhelpful posts and rudeness.

In that other forum, the "Likes" are just one line at the bottom of a post. It shows the names and the first few people who "liked" it. If there are more, it'll say "and xx others." You never see a long list. When you log on, it says how many likes you've received. You can click to see what it was people liked. Or ignore the whole thing. No real waste of time or space for anyone.

To those who think it's a bad idea: I would have agreed with you before I tried it on that other forum. Now I think it's what makes that place a success.
My wife "likes" the stupidest TV and movie shows-- most involve mindless violence and Murder.
Old 12-08-2018, 10:25 PM   #29
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoleo View Post
I hate facebook and anything associated with it
What on earth are you thinking?
“hate” is a strong word. Must be a story behind this.

OK if you want to do the like option. TF will be more like FB then. It may be interesting to see what happens.

Old 12-08-2018, 10:32 PM   #30

Quote:
What on earth are you thinking?
“hate” is a strong word. Must be a story behind this.

OK if you want to do the like option. TF will be more like FB then. It may be interesting to see what happens.
OK---- Change it to "strongly dis-LIKE" or "cant stand it" or "it seems to stink" LOL
Old 12-08-2018, 11:26 PM   #31
Guru

Still don`t get what it does that "Thanks" does not. Except maybe publicity for the "liker".
Practical issue: My partner is on FB(I call it farcebook),a lot. Says there is a problem saying something nice/supportive via "like". Someone posts about an injury, a death, a breakup, a loss...; "like", while a simple expression of interest, just seems wrong when acknowledging a sad event.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 06:28 AM   #32
Guru

City: Narragansett Bay
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36
I have always equated hitting the like button to agreeing with the post more than liking the poster. Although I do like the pie in the face that RT is advocating for .
Cigatoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 06:56 AM   #33
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
I'm thinking why all the posts & discussion when we already have both LIKE and DISLIKE...?
I addition to the THANKS function not to mention RATE THIS THREAD???

LIKE !!

DISLIKE ¡¡¡

If you resist adding comments it doesn't take up much real estate and others get to see who agrees / disagrees vs a bunch of anonymous likes
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 07:16 AM   #34
Guru

City: Seaford Va on Poquoson River, VA
Vessel Name: Old Glory
Vessel Model: 1970 Egg Harbor 37 extended salon model
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
OK. If you're going to add a "like" button, how about adding a "don't like" button as well? I can see where this is going...

Yes, we need a 'groan' button then.

I have been on forums with both like and groan, and you quickly know who agrees with you or not. A like button to me is more of a confirmation or encouragement button for the person saying something
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 09:41 AM   #35
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Quote:
First you say you are not on Facebook--- later you go on and on describing Facebooks inner workings??????????????????????
I'm sorry if I didn't explain it well. I'm NOT on FB so I can't say how anything works there.

I was describing the way "Like" works on another forum I belong to.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 09:52 AM   #36

Quote:
I'm sorry if I didn't explain it well. I'm NOT on FB so I can't say how anything works there.

I was describing the way "Like" works on another forum I belong to.
Last week my housekeeper said to me- showing me her smartphone---" Look George" "I have 236 "likes" on my Facebook! I asked her --do you know these people? Do they know you?" She gave me a funny look. "No." Poor thing.
Old 12-09-2018, 09:55 AM   #37
Guru

Quote:
OK---- Change it to "strongly dis-LIKE" or "cant stand it" or "it seems to stink" LOL
I’m trying to get out of you what you don’t like about FB.
I suspect you feel it identifies you as a certian type of person. Perhaps there’sa widespread notion FB is a predominantly female activity.

Old 12-09-2018, 12:31 PM   #38

Quote:
I’m trying to get out of you what you don’t like about FB.
I suspect you feel it identifies you as a certian type of person. Perhaps there’sa widespread notion FB is a predominantly female activity.
My opinion is that "it" is a total load of crap where people put their information online in hopes that their identity and very existence becomes "validated " by others -- all the while their information is sold to advertisers (and fraudsters). Facebook has indeed found a weakness in the human psyche and they are exploiting it for big bucks. Not to mention that 40% of Facebook accounts are fraudulent.
Old 12-09-2018, 12:59 PM   #39
Guru

Go to my FB page and find some “information” I’d not want you to have.
“Total crap” is way too subjective to respond to.
I don’t mind looking or listening to adds to get a service. You don’t either .. here on TF for the obvious reason.
Fraudulent? In what way?

You’re whole opinion of FB is way to subjective to accept or even debate.

Old 12-09-2018, 01:45 PM   #40

Quote:
Go to my FB page and find some “information” I’d not want you to have.
“Total crap” is way too subjective to respond to.
I don’t mind looking or listening to adds to get a service. You don’t either .. here on TF for the obvious reason.
Fraudulent? In what way?

You’re whole opinion of FB is way to subjective to accept or even debate.
Good -then 'debate ' closed.