Closed Thread

Old 12-09-2023, 07:21 AM   #1
Guru

City: Vermont
Bug report for mobile use

I have noticed that when accessing TF via a mobile device (web access, not the old app), when you click the "New Posts" button, it returns and displays most recent posts, not new posts.

Most recent posts are just that, regardless of whether they have been read or not by the logged in user. New posts are the newest posts that have not been read by the current user. As a result, New Posts should only ever include unread posts. This works correctly when accessing via a computer web browser, but does not work correct when accessing via a mobile web browser (Safari in my case).
Old 12-09-2023, 04:26 PM   #2
Guru

City: Gulf Islands, BC Canada
Vessel Name: Sea Sanctuary
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4588
I see unread posts bolded, newest posts first and they stay in order. I like not only having an unread newest thread, gives you a chance to return to it. Wish the PC online were the same though
Old 12-09-2023, 05:37 PM   #3
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveK View Post
I see unread posts bolded, newest posts first and they stay in order. I like not only having an unread newest thread, gives you a chance to return to it. Wish the PC online were the same though

Both ways have value. i just think it should work the same way in both cases, or be called something different.
Old 12-11-2023, 02:07 PM   #4
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
So I compared behavior on a PC and a smart device (iPhone). They both behave the same. I would not narrow the scope of this to mobile devices.

The "New Posts" link is returning a list of threads in the order of the most recent update by date and time.

The New Posts link isn't an 'Unread Posts' link. Threads with unread posts will be be in bold. Those which have been read will NOT be in bold.
1. A small insectivorous mammal resembling a mouse, with a long pointed snout and tiny eyes.
Old 12-11-2023, 02:25 PM   #5
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
The "New Posts" link is returning a list of threads in the order of the most recent update by date and time.

The New Posts link isn't an 'Unread Posts' link. Threads with unread posts will be be in bold. Those which have been read will NOT be in bold.

I think this is the case when viewed from a mobile browser, Safari in my case. New Posts retrieves all posts in newest to oldest order, highlighting those with unread content.

However when I click New Posts from FireFox on a mac, it retrieves unread (by me) posts, sorted newest to oldest. All of the posts are bolded because they contain unread content. So compared to the search performed by the mobile browser "New Posts", the non-mopbile browser's search is further qualified by "unread".

The terminology for the mobile "New Posts" might be more appropriately called "Recent Posts", where the full function browser search might be more appropriately called "Unread Posts". That appears to be what each is returning.

Are you seeing different results?
Old 12-12-2023, 09:05 AM   #6
Veteran Member

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Tortuga Roja
Vessel Model: Oceans PT Sundeck 46
My mobile ap has totally quit.
I have deleted and re downloaded it several times but i cannot seem to get it to load up.
Any thoughts?
Old 12-12-2023, 09:44 AM   #7
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by William983 View Post
My mobile ap has totally quit.
I have deleted and re downloaded it several times but i cannot seem to get it to load up.
Any thoughts?

Yes, the mobile app has been discontinued. You now need to use your mobile browser. The web site detects that it's a mobile device, and behaves a bit differently, geared towards the smaller screen.
Old 12-20-2023, 12:09 PM   #8
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Aruna
Vessel Model: Kristen Yachts 50 Pilot House
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
Yes, the mobile app has been discontinued. You now need to use your mobile browser. The web site detects that it's a mobile device, and behaves a bit differently, geared towards the smaller screen.

Someone should remove the app from the app store then
Old 12-20-2023, 03:10 PM   #9
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemitchell View Post
Someone should remove the app from the app store then
Thanks. Itís been reported to the tech folks.
Old 01-02-2024, 12:03 PM   #10
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
The Mobile App for Trawler Forum was discontinued in Oct. 2023

https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/...ges-69730.html
1. A small insectivorous mammal resembling a mouse, with a long pointed snout and tiny eyes.
Closed Thread