Anchor for Nordic Tug 32

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Plangstraat

Vessel Make
Nordic Tug 32
We just purchased a 2000 Nordic Tug 32. It has an undersized anchor.
I am wondering what type, and weight, of anchor you use on your NT 32.
Any suggestions and advice are welcomed.
Thanks!

I use a delta 35lb with success on my NT32
Let it sit a bit, small bumps in reverse and it sets well.

A 35 lb. Ultra Anchor would be sufficient and look reeeeeal nice on the bow...

Our NT37 has a 20kg Rocna. Our 26-footer had a 10kg Rocna. Both terrific in hundreds of overnights all over the Inside Passage from Puget Sound to Glacier Bay. I figure a 15kg Rocna would be fine for your 32. Or a 20 if you want to go big.

I agree, any of the good new gen anchors in the 35 - 45 lb (15 - 20 kg) range should do the job.

After reading your advice and then wandering around the marina today looking at anchors I’m off to shop for a 15 - 20kg Rocna!

You may want to check dimensions on Rocna's web site, and make sure the one you choose will fit your setup. On my NT37, the 25 is a bit too long, so I chose a 20.

Thanks Richard,
I appreciate the tip. I'll check the dimensions on the website and make sure it fits properly.
Piet

Have any of you tried an Excel anchor on a Nordic Tug? It looks like this might be another possibility.

Thanks Bruce. I’ll check out the website. Not to start an anchor debate but I’m curious whether other tug owners would suggest a Rocna or an Excel.
Thank you.

Thanks!

What's your displacement weight? I would think a 20 kg NextGen ("weighted pick") anchor would be good and generous, if it fits. A 20 kg Rocna holds my GB 36 up until now, and she displaces something like 24,000# and has more top hamper than you have. I like Rocna, Ultra and a few others.

Anchor debate ?

3 controversial topics:
Politics
Religion
Anchors

I always figure the best anchor is the one that after several experiences, you can sleep well when on the hook and it’s howling out there.

I’ve had bad experiences with multiple “not to be named” anchors
Great experiences with both delta and rocna Vulcan

Your milage may very

Thanks Bruce. I’ll check out the website. Not to start an anchor debate but I’m curious whether other tug owners would suggest a Rocna or an Excel.
Thank you.

The boat style is mostly unimportant; weight and windage more so... as are expected holding ground and the substrate you'll likely encounter.

And then there are minor details like how much weight your windlass can lift, rode makeup (all chain? mostly rope? mixed?) and how various models might fit in your davit/roller system.

You might have a look at YouTube anchor reviews by Steve Goodwin on SV Panope. His #131 has a nifty tabular list toward the end, or he may have posted something more current.

Then you can usually get dimensions and mock-up materials from the various makers. I know Rocna has those, but I had to get a SARCA mock-up from Jimmy Greene Marine in the UK. (BTW, Rocna has a new generation version of their original roll bar anchor, alongside their Vulcan. Not a recommendation; just an observation.)

-Chris

Last edited:
I agree, there’s nothing quite as controversial as an anchor debate! My NT 32 has a displacement of 16000 lbs. I think a 15 or 20 kg new generation anchor should do the job.
Thanks for all the comments and advice. I’ll keep researching and let you know what I decide.
Piet

On my NT 32 I have used a 35lb Manson Supreme for 10 years and never had a problem with holding or resetting. Rocna is also a very good choice . Rocna has a new design called the Mark II which has a Foil Roll Bar . They just did a video on it . I boat in the PNW .

Thanks!
We have a Nordic Tug 32 and switched from a Delta style to a 20kg Rocna with all chain. Never had an issue. BTW, love the boat!

Any reputable 35 pound plow type anchor should do it. The chain is almost as important.
go heavy and long. 100 feet of 5/16 or 3/8 in 20 feet of water will keep you from moving around in soft breeze with no anchor. Then add 35 pounds!

Thank you to everyone who has posted suggestions. I have 150 feet of chain and 100 feet of rode. I think a 35 pound (15kg) anchor makes the most sense. I am likely going to purchase a Rocna. Thanks pbolay for sharing the Rocna Mark II comment. I’ll definitely check it out!

I carried a 35 pound Lewmar Delta, all chain rode, on my NT32 for years. Still had a couple of dragging incidents. Replaced the Delta couple of years ago with a 44 pound galvanized Rocna (20 kg). No problems since.

Anchor for NT 32

The type of boat isn't really important but from experience in an 8mph current on the Mississippi a Rocna anchor held us overnight.

We have the original Rocna. But our pulpit holds that as well.

Go to the Rocna site and based on your boat weight, that will tell you what size anchor you need.

We carry a 55# with 150' of chain and 250' of 8plait behind that. 8yrs on the Loop never hit the 8plait and the Rocna never let us down.

How you use an anchor is also part of the deal with anchoring.

Any questions, let me know.

Thanks Puffin. As I was walking around the marina I noticed some NT 32s with Rocnas. It looked like the tip of the anchor was perilously close to the hull (a couple of inches). Have you had any issues with the anchor sitting too close to the hull or have you had to make any modifications?

Anchor for NT 32

It should be noted about the Rocana anchor being too close to the bow, that without further information as to which Rocna was being observed.

IF you go to the Rocna site (https://rocna.com/) you will see that Rocna has several different models.

The Vulcan has a great curve to the shank which could bring the tip of the anchor, on some pulpits very close to the bow.

The original Rocna probably wouldn't have that problem.

Might suggest you ask the owners what their experience are.

As to Rocna as an anchor, I won't have any other anchor on my boat. Holding on the Mississippi in an 8mph current made me a Rocna owner for as long as I own a boat.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom