What's the real LOA of GB42?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bongi

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Scatterlings
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 42C
OK - so there was a GB 42 stretching in 1991.

I am curious about the real LOA of a mid-eighties GB42.

That should be simple ... but when in a boathouse, the mast comes down and it appears the boom/mast combo may extend beyond the stern - which of course adds to the "boathouse LOA".

So, what length does the boathouse need to accommodate?

That should be simple ... but when in a boathouse, the mast comes down and it appears the boom/mast combo may extend beyond the stern - which of course adds to the "boathouse LOA".

We have a 1986 42CL. The GB documentation says the the length is 42’7” but that is just the hull and does not include the bowsprit, anchor, or swim grid. The LOA for our boat is 48’ with all that included. Depending on the year and options your bowsprit and swim grid may be different. Also the addition of davit and/or dinghy to the swim grid will change things. Our mast, when down, does not extend beyond the stern rail so has no effect on LOA. Best to just measure what you’ve got to be sure…

One of last summer's curiosities was to tie up behind a 1975 GB42 that was across the dock from a 2010 GB47. The 42 forward end of the deck was exactly opposite the forward end on the 47. The after ends were also directly opposite one another. The real difference is in the hull shape, with the 47 (wider hull) having a much roomier forward cabin, along with the rest of the boat. The dimensional difference is that the mold for the 42, at a few inches over 42' fails to mold in the bowsprit or the swimgrid, both of which are molded in on the 47. The swimgid on the 47 is of a useful depth, unlike the old 42.
Both would take a similar length boathouse. The 47 would need more width and height. Neither would add length with the mast folded back.

Brilliant insights and thanks for the quick reply folks, appreciate the pointers... will be measuring a boathouse tomorrow so the timing is perfect.

Interesting. Our cruising buddies have a mid 90s GB 42. It absolutely dwarfs our Mainship 400, which is considered to be a pretty big 40.

Interesting. Our cruising buddies have a mid 90s GB 42. It absolutely dwarfs our Mainship 400, which is considered to be a pretty big 40.

Interesting, considering the GB 36 is pretty small for a 36 footer. Next to my 38 footer, a GB 36 looks tiny (it's a bit shorter in length, a foot narrower, has much lower freeboard and a generally lower profile overall). A GB 42 is longer than my boat and definitely looks bigger, but it's otherwise more in proportion.

The bow spint is usually included in the OAL.
Add about 3ft to the published OAL.
Example: My 2008 AT34 is published at 34.6ft so that is the documented length.
The newer AT, same hull, are sold as 36.6. They now add the swim platform as part of the OAL.
Lots of boat builder are doing the same.

The bow spint is usually included in the OAL.
Add about 3ft to the published OAL.
Example: My 2008 AT34 is published at 34.6ft so that is the documented length.
The newer AT, same hull, are sold as 36.6. They now add the swim platform as part of the OAL.
Lots of boat builder are doing the same.

Yes, many are now using the true LOA which was not common in the past. My boat is officially listed by the builder as 38'0" LOA, but it's really 38' LOD (length on deck, the hull is 38 feet long but the pulpit and swim platform are bolted on and not counted). If you measure the assembled boat tip to tail, it comes out to 42'4" LOA.

Yes, many are now using the true LOA which was not common in the past. My boat is officially listed by the builder as 38'0" LOA, but it's really 38' LOD (length on deck, the hull is 38 feet long but the pulpit and swim platform are bolted on and not counted). If you measure the assembled boat tip to tail, it comes out to 42'4" LOA.

and that is how they sell the boat, assembled.

Back
Top Bottom