Teak Deck (over fibreglass?)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Virginias Run

Veteran Member
I am looking understand the history of teak deck (as it pertains to leaking onto fuel tanks and rusting).

It is my understanding that at some point GB addressed the above issue in two ways:
1. Replacing steel tanks with aluminum (I think) and
2. removing the screws from the teak deck application by using adhesive

I am searching for a good resource to confirm the above, and in what year did they make these changes.

I apologize in advance if this topic has been covered previously.

kind regards

The big problem with GB teak decks is that the areas where the screws are end up leaking into the core, can't remember if it is plywood and the wood rots, loosing the structural integrity of the deck. The second problem is the expense and hassle of fixing it.

If I owned a GB, I'd rip out the teak deck, repair the damage, and install a synthetic deck instead. One benefit is the boat would be lighter. I used Plasdeck on my boat and at the factory the upper deck was basically almost all one piece, translation: very little area for the deck to leak.

Another benefit is that the upgraded deck would make the boat more sellable in the future. I personally would never buy a boat with a teak deck. In fact, I was at the Sidney (Victoria BC) boat show two years ago and there was an older GB for sale. The young couple (in their 50's.... lol) were looking at it. We got to talking and asked me if I thought the boat was a good deal. I said: "Do you see all those little circles on the deck, hundreds of them? Well those little circles are plugs to cover screws, screws that over time rust and corrode and end up providing an area that leaks. The water leads to wood rot in the cored hull. If you buy the boat, you can fix what needs fixing or you can go the synthetic deck route."

“I am looking understand the history of teak deck (as it pertains to leaking onto fuel tanks and rusting).”

To answer your question the water finds its way in around the deck fills. The water puddles on the top of the fuel tanks. If you pull the deck fills out and re bed the leaks will stop. The teak decks are not the cause. You will find many Grand Banks and other boats that have had the steel tanks replaced with aluminum. If you keep the steel tanks dry inside and out they will last for a long time.

Newer teak decks are held down with the newer advanced adhesives that were not available 30 years ago.

GB transitioned around ‘03 or ‘04.
My ‘03 EU has screws and bungs. Re seamed the entire boat when I bought it in 2017.

Re. Leaks. I 2nd the access plate. I had minimum water intrusion and re-bedding cured it!

ckc,

We're considering a 2001 GB Europa 52. When you say you re-seamed the entire boat - what does that mean? We're curious as to what we may be getting into. Thanks - Jim

Reseaming an old teal deck is a good thing, if done correctly. The seams between the teak strips keeps the lions-share of the water out.

Back
Top Bottom