Reg numbers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Figment

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
TRITON
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 42 Classic
Where does one generally apply the reg numbers to a GB classic?

Google image search turns up very few boats with numbers displayed, are we all just going Documented Vessel?

Previous owner had the boat registration numbers/decal on a pair of little light plywood boards which, I infer, he would setup in the helm windows when curious authorities approached. It would be easy enough to simply follow suit, but since I'm renaming the boat I thought I'd take the opportunity to get the reg numbers in the same font etc.

Most states dictate where the numbers have to be, often fairly far forward on the bow.

As a USPS / USCG Vessel Safety Examiner I could not pass a state registered boat with Reg #s that were not permanently mounted... that includes a board hung from rail with cable clamps. I believe all states require #s be "permanently affixed". For states stick on. #s satisfy the requirement

From the Conneticut DEEP;

Position of Vessel Number and Decals
The numbers, which must be at least three inches high, contrasting in color to the background and of block form, must be painted on or attached to both the port and starboard bow so positioned as to be distinctly visible and legible from at least 100 feet away. The two validation decals must be placed two inches to the right of and in line with the assigned boat number. No other numbers and only current decals shall be displayed.

Is the vessel USCG documented?

IF documented, no numbers. Reg sticker goes in the side window.

IF NOT USCG documented then the state registration sticker are mounted on a paper that shows you EXACTLY where the numbers need to be posted and the minimum size and style of the letters (Style is BLOCK)

From the Conneticut DEEP;

Position of Vessel Number and Decals
The numbers, which must be at least three inches high, contrasting in color to the background and of block form, must be painted on or attached to both the port and starboard bow so positioned as to be distinctly visible and legible from at least 100 feet away. The two validation decals must be placed two inches to the right of and in line with the assigned boat number. No other numbers and only current decals shall be displayed.

That does vary by state. In Missouri the tax sticker is to be centered below the numbers. It really looks weird when you're used to seeing them in line with the numbers.

That does vary by state. In Missouri the tax sticker is to be centered below the numbers. It really looks weird when you're used to seeing them in line with the numbers.

Yes, I just quoted Connecticut because his city is listed as Mystic. I am not in compliance in Vermont because my registration numbers are not block, they are the same font as the boat name on the transom.

Most states dictate where the numbers have to be, often fairly far forward on the bow.

In VA, the numbers have to be on the forward half of the boat. Registration sticker on the same line following the numbers. I can’t say for sure, but I’m guessing most states are the same.
Being in VA, registration for documented boats is optional, so no registration sticker for me.

Where does one generally apply the reg numbers to a GB classic?

I'm renaming the boat I thought I'd take the opportunity to get the reg numbers in the same font etc.

Be careful about fonts. Most states clearly say reg numbers have to be block style. Fancy fonts could easily get you stopped by a LEO.

Back
Top Bottom